Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everyone

I tried searching but found nothing. I changed my tank from a Custom Tank to a Deluxe, got it lined, painted and some parts powder coated (like the gas cap). Now when I'm driving, I will run out of fuel in the first 3 minutes of driving it and the gas cap is very very hard to twist off. When I untwist the cap, I hear the sound of fuel rushing back into the carbs and the rest of my drive is fine. I'm just wondering where the vent hole is for the gas tank (I suspect the gas cap is the location) and if I should run a drill through it to clear it up. Otherwise, would anyone recommend a place to get a new cap or drill a very small hole? Just looking for some direction here and thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I agree with your assumption that when the cap was powder coated it blocked the vent pathway. Someone on here recently just took a cap apart and there is a lot more going on than you think as far as the assembly of the cap goes. You may search the forum for that cap thread, it may shed some light on the issue. Hopefully other members will weigh in on this as i don't know much about suppliers of caps other than you can check ebay and possibly David Silvers.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,188 Posts
That thread was about a GL5--/650 fuel cap. The CX500 Standard/Deluxe cap is a little simpler, but it still has a serpentine venting path. If the blockage is only at the outer layer, drilling it out might work. The vent hole is at top center, in the ridge.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,188 Posts
I don't think there's a non-destructive way to disassemble it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts