Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I was in the clear when I noticed it was about 36 out and the snow was melting. I ran a user manual over to Gsting and things were fine. Then he noticed the fog was turning into a mist. Well the mist turned into a light rain and I ended up getting wet half of my 70 mile ride.

My pants, socks and boots were soaked. Never thought I would need rain gear in december.

But I still got a ride in.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
My pants, socks and boots were soaked. Never thought I would need rain gear in december.

But I still got a ride in.
It is supposed to rain here tomorrow night and be about 56F degrees on Monday, I probably won't go for a ride though because we had an inch or two of snow a while ago and they put a lot of salt on the roads.

·
Super Moderator
11,464 Posts
Couple days ago we had and inch and a half here, temps around 40. Rained again all day yesterday, not quite that much, and we are in for another basher this afternoon......they are saying near 2 inches....but its much warmer now, in the high 50,s Pretty much stowed the bike though.

Hope my helper Wootersen comes through for me tomorrow for my brake work.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Rain, schmain, we got freaking blowing snow, icy roads and sub-zero windchill factors.

I'd rather take a short ride in the rain instead.

·
Super Moderator
15,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it's frozen today. Had to work to get my truck door open and then one of the tires was locked in place on the ground. Still better than the moron who came to plow the 1/2 inch of snow off our parking lot just to back his truck off the asphalt onto the lawn that had been repaired last month. I'm sure the apartment complex isn't going to like the 8 inch ruts he cause when he got stuck. I don't even think he had the truck in 4wd so the plow held him down like a swimmer with a cinderblock chained to their leg.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts

still looking good here,130 miles out to day with no excuse

·
Registered
602 Posts
Well it's frozen today. Had to work to get my truck door open and then one of the tires was locked in place on the ground. Still better than the moron who came to plow the 1/2 inch of snow off our parking lot just to back his truck off the asphalt onto the lawn that had been repaired last month. I'm sure the apartment complex isn't going to like the 8 inch ruts he cause when he got stuck. I don't even think he had the truck in 4wd so the plow held him down like a swimmer with a cinderblock chained to their leg.

All you got out of that system was rain and a 1/2" of snow? I was at my cousin's place in Minneapolis this weekend, he had about 20" there. Then when I got back to La Crosse today we had about 14" of fresh white with a crust of ice underneath. The east coast of Wisconsin seems to be like the Midwest Riveria compared to here

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
All you got out of that system was rain and a 1/2" of snow? I was at my cousin's place in Minneapolis this weekend, he had about 20" there. Then when I got back to La Crosse today we had about 14" of fresh white with a crust of ice underneath. The east coast of Wisconsin seems to be like the Midwest Riveria compared to here
Yep, been digging out all day. Hard to find places to put it all.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
WE got about 12 inches of hard packed snow 100 miles north of Don. It took 4 1/2 hours with a snow blower to get it all done ... it was going to be 3 1/2 hours until the plow went by and closed the three driveways that I blow out in my neighborhood!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
i feel bad for all of you guys this winter has been a lot warmer than normal highs today 69 and crystal clear so if any one wants to do some winter riding let me know......lol

·
Super Moderator
15,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well it probably helps that it was still raining around 11pm when I got off work yesterday and probably continued to rain till after midnight. When Melody went to work today at 5am she said that there was a bit of blowing snow but that's it. I must have been sleeping pretty hard because she said there were two ambulances in the parking lot wheeling our neighbor out covered by a sheet. I think he was having respiratory problems since he started toting an oxygen tank around.

·
Registered
602 Posts
WE got about 12 inches of hard packed snow 100 miles north of Don. It took 4 1/2 hours with a snow blower to get it all done ... it was going to be 3 1/2 hours until the plow went by and closed the three driveways that I blow out in my neighborhood!

Isn't winter fun David? I thought for sure Milwaukee would get some too, but apparently they got mostly rain. I came home today to find the city had assigned a new guy to my neighborhood and when he did my cul-de-sac he pushed a huge pile right in front of my driveway, I had to work on that one for awhile.

My nomination for the ultimate snowblower, besides one with a V-8, is the Honda unit with the hydrostatic track drive. I have one I inherited from my Dad, a 1996 13HP OHV 928, it will easily throw heavy-wet snow 75~100 feet. The MTDs/Spirits/Ariens/Toros don't even come close to moving snow like this machine does! Leave it to Honda - great bikes, great tools.

Here's a youtube vid of a 15HP Honda doing its thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHNLbAW6j7k

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I have been watching the news and it seems that a lot of people are getting some severe weather,,here today it is over 50F degrees and cloudy with sunny periods and no wind, yesterday was even warmer but we had about 4 inches of rain and it was extremely windy with a thunder and lightning storm last night.

I may even go for a ride today as we had so much heavy rain last night that the salt they had on the roads must be all washed off by now.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Joe,

That Honda snowblower sure throws the snow further than my 1967 7hp Ariens! It was a gift so I can't complain.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
In Illinois where the Illinois and Fox Rivers meet;

We are subzero every morning- Sunday was fun with whiteout conditions, strong winds and snow. One of the local counties closed every road in the county. We have been getting rain with cold winds, turing into "wintery mixes" which turns to ice nearly right away. Living in an area full of bluffs and hills, and right next to two rivers they are salting the roads pretty well, but not well enough to risk a ride. More snow expected today/ tonight/ tomorrow, not too much, but they were talking about another 2-4 inches by tomorrow morning.

Sad when you get excited that it's 3 degrees out. Even worse when the end of winter is getting closer and you roll your windows down/ open up the sunroof for the warmth and fresh air of a 40 degree day! LOL

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Allan: you just wait yours is coming, and in huge quantities of wet heavy snow.

Lucky and Bandit you 2 guys and all the others that live in CA, AZ, FLA. etc.......bite me....
find another thread,

leave us poor buggers to our whining in misery about our weather.

(Todays weather; currently snowing heavy and blowing, and has been for the last 12 hours)

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Allan: you just wait yours is coming, and in huge quantities of wet heavy snow.

Lucky and Bandit you 2 guys and all the others that live in CA, AZ, FLA. etc.......bite me....
find another thread,

leave us poor buggers to our whining in misery about our weather.

(Todays weather currently snowing heavy and blowing, and has been for the last 7 hours)
Trickter,you might loose with one hand.you gain with the other.

i have noticed over the last 2 years,not many members[from the hot states]admit to not wearing protective gear in summer.i dont,i admit it,i wish i could,but i cant,its not possible.........

at least when you ride you feel safe.i ride in winter and feel fairly safe,in summer vunerable,or i choose to not ride for summer.

hard shout,but its my hard shout and [the whole summer]i hate it at times

i wonder if the hot state guys dont post their lack of protection,due to not wanting to be ridiculed

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I wear a good helmet and nothing else aside from not trusting anyone at all in traffic nor will I ride on some of the more dangerous routes in town. My main route to work is about 90% on what we call "The Lake Hefner Speedway" which is supposedly 60 mph on most of it, 65 on others but during rush hour or, as last night when I had to make a run to the guitar shop, it was 80 mph in the right lane alone. It's almost an autobahn and the police drive right along with you at that speed. Oddly enough if you tried driving 80 down it on a Sunday afternoon they'd nail you - go figure.

80% of the people driving at this speed seem to have cell phones stuck to their head as well, if I ever ride the bike from work where it normally resides to home and back I'll be taking the more conventional streets.

Been cold here too, we almost made it into the teens the other night but they can't predict the weather in Oklahoma.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
it was 80 mph in the right lane alone. It's almost an autobahn and the police drive right along with you at that speed. Oddly enough if you tried driving 80 down it on a Sunday afternoon they'd nail you - go...

what a nightmare,,,,if thats inflicted on you

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Seems unfair, doesn't it? It's not unusual to find myself going 90+ in the left lane on my way to work, but after around 9 AM it slows way down. Picks right back up again during lunch hour and the drive home but only if you get on it before the heavy traffic hits around 5 or so. Not too many wrecks but I'd have to say 95% of them happen in the evening drive home rather than in the morning stuff.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts