Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally had things sorted for my '78 CX500 to have a longer ride as I had to replace the tires and ended up breaking a spark plug boot/cap.

New tires are on, cap replaced, and I'm working on getting used to the clutch on the CX500, as well as its gearing.

It's a little different than my S90 or the auto clutch of a C70

Anyway, on deceleration I'm getting backfiring on the right cylinder (same cylinder I had broken the spark plug cap on)

I'm going to test for air leaks on the carbs to head or at the air filter box to carbs...

It seems like the backfiring is during deceleration on the right cylinder in the exhaust, series of deceleration pops, and occassionally I hear it more forward like it might be in the carb area...

Going to add several ounces of Seafoam to the tank (just filled up) tomorrow and check the air intake tract to ensure there are no leaks.

Could I have damaged the coil on that side? I had to ride it home after I broke the boot/cap.

Also, not sure if it was wind or perf as the bike felt like the power surged and wasn't smooth at steady state speed in the 45-55mph range.

Broken speedo so, I'm not sure of the speed and I didn't rig a mount and take my GPS.

May be time to see what the settings are on the carbs and see if they are synchronized.

Thanks for any direction or advice with the issues!

David

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
air cutoff diaphrams on the carbs, most people just block them off.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Marshall and Shep.

I need to educate myself on these carbs as they are very different than the simple varieties I've previously dealt with.

Time to read the shop manual.

David

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts