Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just reading a new Motorcycle magazine issue, with a review on a Airbag jacket.

The article says almost 4,800 motorcyclists died in crashes in the USA last year.

Have to say that number shocked me. I am sure that vehicular deaths are greater, really scary numbers to say the least.

The article was claiming the positive results of the product Armored Air Jacket.

Armored Air Jacket

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Trickster, I remember seeing an article about that jacket some time ago. I thought it was a great idea, unfortunately it appeared to be very expensive. Sort of in a class with the air bags you can get on a Gold Wing. The Gold Wing air bags saved somebody, I think a mishap last year in Va, not long after they came out. I have not heard of anyone using the jacket involved in a wreck.

I get really upset when the morning news carries (as it did this morning) a story about a young man (20-21) who kills himself on a bike. He was seen at speeds in excess of 100mph and hit a car, head-on! They have not released his name yet, he is apparently related to someone in the NFL, probably a Titan player since this happened in Nashville. That sort of thing, besides being a tragedy, does nothing for the sport of motorcycling.

Gene

·
Registered
368 Posts
Neat idea, but where are the sleeves? I like how the couple they interview are riding along with half helmets on and no gloves. CO2 cartridge for $25? Doesn't look any different from the ones for pellet guns. Will stick with my armored jacket and gloves TYVM.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I like how the couple they interview are riding along with half helmets on and no gloves. CO2 cartridge for $25? Doesn't look any different from the ones for pellet guns. Will stick with my armored jacket and gloves TYVM.

Considering the number of times I have gotten off my bike with my heated jacket still plugged in, I think I want to invest in that CO2 company if these become popular.

I agree it is really stupid to say they are worried about safety when they have on the half helmets.

·
Registered
170 Posts
It always saddens me to hear of incidents of this type. However, also having formerly run a motorcycle clothing store, its also equally amazing the amount of people who pay little attention to what they wear, and in what state it is, putting themselves even further in harms way. For example, whilst I lived in Asia I used to be amazed at the amount of riders who wore a basebll cap on backwards underneath an oversized helmet, to kind of make it fit. this can turn even a low level tumble into an incident that could have dire consequences. simple attention to detail in what you wear and how you maintain it mean that the main element of what we do - enjoy ourselves is not diminished. Even a loose flapping cuff, or a piece of cotton strand swirling in the wind can cause enough distraction for events to develop around you as misfortune plays no favourites. I dont always wear lots of protective gear when I ride, but I always try to ride according to how I am dressed. Anything that people wear that is practical, and comfortable, is a bonus, but a jacket that protects the torso and not the arms seems a little absurd. In a lot of low speed accidents incorrectly tailored sleeves "wind up" very tightly and burst blood vessels, sever nerves, and strain tendons etc, so I am actually more disposed to protecting my arms rather than my chest

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
opps wrong thread......my bad just ignore this post must be the meds

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would rather protect my head, neck, torso and then appendages in that order. A severe blow to the arm is less probable to

cause death than a severe blow to the torso would. $250 for the vest is not a lot of money for something that could save

your life, yes just like a helmet might do for you too. Funny how people will nitpick things like half helmets and gloves

etc. instead of trying to see the value in a safety item like this. If I truly wanted to be safe, I would just stay

indoors, and not venture onto any roadways, regardless of my means of transportation.

My point is, this is an interesting innovation, that may save your life one-day, or not.

BTW yes $25.00 per CO2 cartridge is ridiculous, but easily resolved in the aftermarket world.

·
Registered
161 Posts
These statistics aren't really all that alarming when you consider the factors common to many of them.

- Don't drink.

- Don't ride above your limits.

- Wear protective gear.

- Get training.

Deer and vehicles turning left in front of me are the biggest things I worry about.

·
Registered
851 Posts
These statistics aren't really all that alarming when you consider the factors common to many of them.

- Don't drink.

- Don't ride above your limits.

- Wear protective gear.

- Get training.

Deer and vehicles turning left in front of me are the biggest things I worry about.
Yep, the number one accident is a car/truck making a left turn in front of bicycle or motorcycle, repeat the number one. I've had it happen to me twice. Everyone says wll motorcycles and bicycles are hard to see, truen but the real raason is a driver doesn't respect (FEAR) a collision with a small vehicle that's why they think they can make a quick left turn in front of us. Everyone thinks twice when a semi-truck is coming at them. What governs the decision to pull out is "the survival of the biggest"

Cheers, 50gary

·
Super Moderator
15,413 Posts
Even though the number sounds bad It's really only 100 per state in the continental US.

Ok so 100 per state. That means one every 3 1/2 days. Imagine how many could be saved by wearing a helmet or armored clothing.

·
Registered
745 Posts
in the last 6 months I've been to three funerals from biker clubs down here...1 die of old age.the other was distracted trying to adjust his mirrors move to the opposite side of the road..tonight funeral traffic accident,,,,, soo if you drive down here,,, watch out for taxi cabs, dogs, pot holes ,vendors , traffic lights ( green means ,count to 3 then go ) police .women on the phone and doing their make up ,,,so if you come down here look me up you'll need me ..lol

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, the number one accident is a car/truck making a left turn in front of bicycle or motorcycle, repeat the number one. I've had it happen to me twice. Everyone says wll motorcycles and bicycles are hard to see, truen but the real raason is a driver doesn't respect (FEAR) a collision with a small vehicle that's why they think they can make a quick left turn in front of us. Everyone thinks twice when a semi-truck is coming at them. What governs the decision to pull out is "the survival of the biggest"

Cheers, 50gary

Absolutely, I know this from my driving daily in large vehicles. When I owned the "Wally wagon" 88 Buick LeSabre Estate

Wagon, very seldom would someone turn out in front of me. When I sold that and downsized to a 91 Civic, WOW, night and day

difference in the respect, and space you got. One day I would like to have a big old beater, say a Dodge Power Wagon with

a massive deer exploder tubular grill on the front, and start using it on some of these careless drivers...j/k

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Just reading a new Motorcycle magazine issue, with a review on a Airbag jacket.

The article says almost 4,800 motorcyclists died in crashes in the USA last year.

Have to say that number shocked me. I am sure that vehicular deaths are greater, really scary numbers to say the least.

The article was claiming the positive results of the product Armored Air Jacket.

Armored Air Jacket

I just got a new magazine and their statics show a little bit better picture of what happened in 2009. Click on the thumbnail for a readable version.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lets hope that trend continues for 2010.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts