Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day, folks. I have been a lurker to this valuable forum for some time now. Today, I have registered with a question of my own.

I have bought (cheap) and been working on a '79 CX500 that has apparently not run for several years, and shows signs of having been partially submerged. Using tips from this forum, I actually got it running last weekend for a couple of minutes with the yellow stator leads disconnected. I have not been able to get it to start since then. I want to get the machine to start before I pull the engine for a CX triple bypass.

Today, I fully charged the battery, checked the fuses, and pulled the plugs to see if I was getting any spark. I am getting no spark on either side. Put on new plug caps, same thing. Disconnected the black-with-white-stripe kill switch lead, no difference. Pulled and cleaned the coil leads to the CDI unit, no change. Pulled the yellow stator leads, nyet.

Since the bike ran a week ago even if for a few minutes, I think I can assume the coils are okay. That leads me to the CDI unit. I have suspicion that this unit was from a salvage yard since it has a grease pencil marking saying "CX500". Can anyone give me some simple tests to verify my thought that the CDI is bad?

If it is bad, can you provide counsel on where to get a replacement? I just checked e-bay with no luck. I am open to suggestions.

Thanks for all of the help from the forum thus far, and thanks for the counsel on this CDI unit.

Regards.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank ou for teh replies thus far.

Larry, I'm a fan, bought your carb book. Could you be a bit more specific as to connections I may want to check? I am open to instruction.

I live in Dallas, so hope someone can offer help.

Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.