Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,
Having recently obtained a dead 1983 GL650I I thought I would post some pictures of my findings and progress.

Seller did a lot of work to this bike prior to selling - battery,oil/filters/plugs all new.

I believed the seller to be honest and upfront with what he knew of the bike prior to purchase GL650 interstate in Seattle

Slide2.JPG

The bike started and ran just as seller described, I confirmed everything seller stated in add was correct, we / I did not run it long enough to heat up and temp gauge not registering was of no concern at that time. Unfortunately with a full fairing and gas tank in place checking the radiator/coolant level is a bit difficult, with no obvious external visual clues I did not look deeper.

I didn't try to ride it due to the dry-rotted tires. (Bike was brought home on a trailer)
At the time I "assumed" the poor idle to be carb related, I did not do a compression test even though I had a gauge with me. Lesson learned the hard way.

As I was stripping the bike down to drop engine, found there was no water in cooling system (why)
Compression test..L/H 110 (a little low).......R/H 30 yes 30 psi (double crap!!)
Do a leak down test on R/H Head ...Oh...Holds No pressure...Oh....air coming out of water pipe!!!

Obviously a b​lown head gasket Ok I'll pull the Head and take a look (Crap)

Major over heat problem, Cylinder wall has separated from cast water jacket, a .5 x .125 chunk of the water jacket has been burned / melted away with a radial crack extending 1.5 inches each way around water jacket.

Prior to pulling L/H head I checked the torque of the head bolts. 3 "turned" at 30 ftlbs the 4th at 35 ftlbs looks like aftermarket gaskets with only initial low end torque and no re-torque. LH also has blown gasket also but no other damage. Both heads came of without any effort and no surface bonding of the gaskets. Apparently a case of ham-fisted workmanship.

looks like I’m needing a 650-crank case.

burned head.jpg

So I have the engine out and on the work bench for total tear down.

And have found the source of the over heat problem. Another example of fine workmanship.
The acorn nut and copper washer are missing from the water pump impeller, the spacer washer behind is also missing, and almost all the drive splines have been stripped from the impeller.

Somehow the splines and threads on the end of the camshaft survived without to much damage.

Slide1.JPG
Slide3.JPG
camshaft.jpg

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Murray, Yes and Yes I have a Block , thought I would post my findings.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
From the scoring on the rear case It appears the impeller was installed without the steel spacer washer, and the impeller was tightened down onto the rear case.
Still no sign of the spacer washer or acorn nut I did find what I believe to be the copper washer.

crush washer.jpg

Front and Rear covers off. Was happy to see internals in surprisingly good shape. All nice and clean not much sludge at all. Cam chain and auto tensioner intact though near the end of service life.

Slide1.JPG
Slide2.JPG

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Progress update.

Motor is finally stripped down to pieces and old block tossed on the "to be recycled" heap.
'New" block cleaned and prepped, measurements look promising for re- assembly.. Yea... finally something good.

REPLACMENT BLOCK CYLINDER DIA. (after hone)
Service limits = 3.2520
UPPER LH 3.2485 RH 3.2485
MIDDLE LH 3.2492 RH 3.2489
LOWER LH 3.2488 RH 3.2482

RING END GAPS
Service limits = .024
UPPER LH .014 RH .015
MIDDLE LH .011 RH .011
LOWER LH .009 RH .010

FRONT CRANK MAIN BEARING I.D. 1.8016” (using existing bearing in new block)
FRONT CRANK JOURNAL O.D., 1.8005
FRONT CRANK MAIN BEARING OIL CLEARANCE = .0011, Service limits = .0033

REAR CRANK MAIN BEARING I.D. 1.8029 (using rear crank cap and bearing from old block)
REAR CRANK JOURNAL O.D. 1.8005
REAR CRANK MAIN BEARING OIL CLEARANCE = .0024, Service limits = .0033

CONNECTING ROD BEARING CLEARANCE (using green .001-.003 platigauge)
Finds both L/R to be between .0015 and .002. Service limits = .003

The Camshaft was badly pitted, so Cam shaft and lifters have been sent to Delta CamShafts in Tacoma for regrind. I'll report out on their work when done.

I was going to rebuild the heads but after further closer examination a small gouge and score line in the sealing surface could be seen. I tried more sanding but could not remove visible defect (heat crack?)
overheated head.jpg

Both heads exhibit similar scoring with evidence of very high heat exposure. Not real comfortable reusing them so on the "recycle heap" they went.
A "new" set of heads will arrive in the next few days :mad::mad:.

While I'm waiting I figured I would do some small part cleanup first on the list was the Radiator, water pipes and thermostat housing. found another surprise, this I have not seen.
And no, I have not yet found the acorn nut.

P8110402.JPG

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Murray- thought I would post a picture, After our phone conversation I wasn't absolutely sure that we understood each other.

Separating the splined end of Camshaft for regrind.

camshaft.jpg

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well after 3 weeks of waiting, Delta Camshafts sent my camshaft back to me because they could not remove the splined end (required for loading in to grinding machine) stating that if I got it off and send it back they would be happy to compete the job. 2 weeks later and multiple attempts with a variety of techniques, No luck that @*%# thing is stuck good.

Just as I was giving up, a used Ebay cam shaft I has been previously watching was relisted with make-offer so I did. New shaft arrived on Friday and I was pleased to see that it was in much better condition then the pictures showed. I cleaned up the small amount of galling with a wet stone and 600 grit wet/dry sand paper, followed with a dip in the ultrasonic tank. And i'm back in in business.

Top is damaged old shaft, bottom is replacement ready to install.
Slide1.JPG

Replacement Cam shaft before and after touch-up/cleanup
replacment camshaft.jpg

Another thing that just caught my eye as I was assembling the block was a bent shift shaft :mad:. I think I have a few of those in a box somewhere.

Slide2.JPG

More clean up and assembly pics

Slide1.JPG
Slide2.JPG
Slide3.JPG
Slide4.JPG

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
More assembly pic. Finally making some progress.

Attachments

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
A little more progress,

All Cleaned up and painted, Ready for final assembly.

ready for assy.jpg

Getting closer to changing the Title from Dead GL650, to Dead GL650 lives again!!

·
Super Moderator
14,510 Posts
Every time I see that orange tag tied to the clutch I remember a guy I used to know who had one of those huge REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT tags (before they started making small ones for key rings - this thing was half a yard long) that he would padlock on with his brake disc lock so that he wouldn't forget and try to drive away with the lock on again :rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Finally have a complete motor, ready to install.
Replacement Crank case. Replaced heads, camshaft, cam-chain, stator, water pump seal and impeller, starter clutch springs and rollers, oil pump chain and a set of lower mileage valve rockers. really the only mechanical things salvaged from the original motor was the crank, rods and pistons.

Slide1.JPG

Should be ready to fire it up early next week.

Slide2.JPG

Before I can ride I still need to:
Rebuild front forks.
Needs new brakes all around.
New tires.
replace throttle and clutch cables.
Carbs??

I would like to hear a running engine before I throw any more $$$ into this thing.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Dead 650 lives again!!!

Finally, got some time after the Christmas holiday to spend some time out in the shed.
Finished the engine install, repaired and cleaned up some wiring issues, Rewired the hacked up cooling fan circuit, installed new temp switch. installed radiator.
Cranked motor until oil light went out - repeated until oil could be seen seeping out around valve rockers.
Checked for spark - Yes!!
Hooked up Temp fuel tank and opened float bowl drains to check for fuel flow and to flush fuel system.
Gave each cylinder a shot of starting fluid prior to installing plugs.

Hit the starter button and she fired up instantly and surprisingly quickly settled down into a fairly regular idle. :D

Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to post a video :vs_greis:

running 650.jpg
running 6502.jpg

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,452 Posts
Nice work! Let me (or other mod) know and we can update the title, if you wish.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts