Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to start bike, turned key to on, and lights came on strong. When I hit start I heard a tiny click and all the lights went out. Looks like the main fuse is not burnt out. The bike had not shown any signs of low battery and has always started and ran great. Battery is 1yr old.

Wondering if there might be an issue with the ground? (where is the ground?)

Other fuses?

Or stator?

Any help appreciated as I've got to get the bike off the street soon. Vehicle Auto part Car Motor vehicle Engine
Gas Cylinder

·
Super Moderator
23,397 Posts
I can't see very well at the moment [welding flash] to see your pics clearly, but have you tried another fuse just to be sure?

Alternatively the loom connector to your ignition switch may be loose.

The main loom frame earth is on the left CDI box mounting bolt.

·
Registered
200 Posts
. . . lights came on strong. When I hit start I heard a tiny click and all the lights went out.
More than once, I've had this exact experience. In my cases, it turned out to be dirty battery cable contacts. The heavy starter current can wipe out a marginal contact that's only just good enough to handle low currents - like the lights.

I can't say your problem is the same, but it wouldn't hurt to remove and clean the contacts on both ends of both battery cables.

·
Registered
481 Posts
ditto on weka

·
Registered
906 Posts
Could be connections or your battery has not been charging as usual. Have you measured the battery voltage with your multimeter? If you don't have a multimeter, I suggest buying one. They are not expensive and a must-have tool for 34-year-old motorcycle maintenance.

·
Registered
906 Posts
"I can't see very well at the moment [welding flash] to see your pics clearly, but have you tried another fuse just to be sure?"
PHREAK, I had that affliction once and it was not fun. Hope you heal up soon. A dose of Fosters might help.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
A dose of Fosters might help

I dont think any self respecting Aussie would be seen dead drinking Fosters Lager. It has to be about the worst beer export ever produced by Australia , was only made famous by the dingbat Barry Humphries back in the 1980s movie " The Adventures of Barry Mackenzie".

I think the original poster has really poor earth connections on his bike . He should pull the cables and clean up both ends and connections and then try again. Maybe give the battery some time on the charger too , just to make sure it is fully charged to begin with.

·
Registered
195 Posts

I dont think any self respecting Aussie would be seen dead drinking Fosters Lager.
Certainly not. It was only produced to sell to unsuspecting Poms, Kiwis, and Yanks.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Get real mate . We kiwis dont drink that horse urine in a blue can . We have some standards as a Nation , although half our population lives in Aussie these days anyway ... :p

·
Registered
154 Posts

I dont think any self respecting Aussie would be seen dead drinking Fosters Lager...
Opinions about "local" beer are a funny thing. About 20 years back I spent some time in Sydney. I recall sitting at a Manly Beach bar watching the locals rave about some kind of American beer. I was amazed. To them it was exotic. To me it was local "horse piss"

·
Registered
465 Posts
How did you make out with tghis problem? If the battery terminals didn't fix it, another possibility is the starter button electrics, there is a cut-out circuit that removes power from lights when you push the start button, sometimes a good cleaning of the contacts is all that's needed and if that's not the problem, it might just prevent one down the road.

Is it just the head/tail light? Are there any idiot lights at all? Horn?

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,442 Posts
Welcome, GBBM!

Where are you in Minneapolis? My weekends are a little tight, but if I can make the time, I'll be happy to help.

All good advice above regarding contacts, etc., but it sounds to me like a bad battery. Most auto parts stores, or Batteries Plus, will do a load test at no charge, so it's worth the effort to verify it. The last time I had a battery go out, I got a little more life out of it by cleaning and greasing the contacts, but it still died a few days later.

R

Reactions: GBBM

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks much everyone! No lights of any kind, no horn, One second all lights and plenty of power, the next, nothing. I will purchase a multimeter and clean my connections.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Randall,
I'm in Bryn Mawr but the bike is parked in the Wedge/Whittier area. Would you have any time this Sunday? I'm hoping to get things cleaned up before then but you never know. I will PM you my cell #.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Fosters does come in the largest beer cans I have ever seen though . . .

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,442 Posts
Randall,
I'm in Bryn Mawr but the bike is parked in the Wedge/Whittier area. Would you have any time this Sunday? I'm hoping to get things cleaned up before then but you never know. I will PM you my cell #.
Gareth,

I might have some time on Sunday afternoon, if I'm not still moving broken concrete.

Nice talking to you,

R

·
Registered
222 Posts
Probably not the battery as your lights would have faded, not just stopped after the click. Click when starting is either the solenoid gone bad or you have a false ground in the ignition circuit. Likely the latter as solenoid wouldn't cut the lights. Check the fuses under the bar clamp, and look at the ignition plug for shorts or wear on the wires or it will just blow again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts