Honda CX 500 Forum banner
141 - 145 of 145 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,524 Posts
On the ride to the church for lunch a train crossed our paths. Not sure which line he worked for but it's a train.
I don't think Dave worked for a railroad but his Dad, Francis J Wiener worked for the Soo Line and after he retired became a fan of the Wisconsin Central and had the distinction of being the only railfan to have a locomotive after him.

The Wisconsin Central is now part of the CN system so being stopped by a CN train is very suitable.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics Blindstich. Is that Al in this picture? If it is, he was one of the more memorable characters Dave brought to the Amish.

·
Super Moderator
15,409 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics Blindstich. Is that Al in this picture? If it is, he was one of the more memorable characters Dave brought to the Amish.

View attachment 209371
That's Al. He's one hell of a guy. I knew of all the people today that could have backed out of the ride portion due to incoming storms we both would be getting wet. I want to think the other guy that rode along the lake with us pointed out the incoming storm and he just said to himself it's only water.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,228 Posts
I made a 650 mile round trip on Saturday to David's memorial. No one who knows me, including David, would be surprised that I was late getting there.
I woke up an hour and a half late, at 3:30, rather than 2:00, but was only 40 minutes behind my planned 4:00 departure. That ate up 2/3 of the extra hour in my plans. Weather and trouble maintaining power to my new GPS unit took the rest, and then some.
This is my first stop, in Menomonie, WI at 5:30am. I spent way too long there, and at the next few stops, trying to secure my power connection.

Had a little breakfast. Guess what was included in my change.

I think David was with me through the rest of what the day would bring.

My entire trip to Fond du Lac was in fog, but I got there ahead of the rain. I missed the ride with Dave's BMW club, and the graveside service. I finally caught up at the church hall, and spent some nice time with Don and Melody, and with Dave's brother Mark, and nieces. I really regret now that I hadn't gotten to know them better while David was living.
As the reception was wrapping up, we couldn't put it off any longer and headed out in to the rain, Don and Melody starting south to Milwaukee, and I pointing north and west toward home. By the time I reached Stevens Point, the light rain had grown to a heavy storm that continued for most of my ride. I got off the interstate for a while, and followed some nice county roads with slightly slower speeds and much less traffic. Late in the afternoon, I made an unscheduled stop in Abbotsford to check radar and maybe wait out a cell. The "scattered thunderstorms" in the forecast were all aligned with my path along WI-29 and I-94. No relief for a while.
At my next scheduled stop in Thorp, the rain had mostly stopped and the radar looked clear to the west. I even saw a little sky on the horizon. I stripped off my now ineffective rainsuit, and let the cold wind through my mesh suit dry me out a little. Having crossed into Minnesota, the rain started again as I turned north onto I-694, and an isolated storm let loose on me, undoing all the drying of the previous two hours. As I passed the MN-36 interchange, the rain abruptly stopped and the road was soon dry. Isolated storm, indeed!
I arrived home at about 10:30 in a mild drizzle, only to make a discovery that had me freaked out until I found it wasn't as dangerous as I had first believed.

Reactions: Fafnir and LRCXed

·
Registered
1 Posts
141 - 145 of 145 Posts