Honda CX 500 Forum banner
101 - 120 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've sent him a pie from Norski Nook a speciality restaurant & bakery in Osseo, Wi and we had lunch & pie another time. I think it was Raspberry

·
Registered
762 Posts
I apologize that I am fashionably late to the thread as I'm not really on the forum much anymore. I googled David's name today as I hadn't heard back to a recent correspondence and was saddened, but not surprised, to learn of his passing. I originally met David at the Amish Rally in the early 2000's. I really respected him as a great friend to a friend of mine here on the forum, LenInPA who has also passed. I hope that they have time to catch up and are riding their Silverwings up there!

I always used to see David here in PA where I live back when we both attended the Amish Rally. This past October, I got to see David where he lived. I was traveling to Appleton, WI for work, so I reached out to David in advance. Once I was there in late October, I reached out again and was able to stop over one evening after dinner. David showed me around his shop including his bikes, spare parts, work bench, etc. He proudly showed me a set of polished carbs from Larry that he had in a little display box of sorts. He sent me up to the attic of the shop to see everything that was up there while he directed me and narrated from below. While I was up there, I got to see the "elevator" that he had in his garage that he often referenced here on the forum and in person at rallies. Then we went to his neighbors garage where he had yet some additional motorcycles stored. He wasn't the big Wiener I remembered from years earlier, he was looking older, thinner, and perhaps a little frail, walking with a cane, so as we moved inside his home and sat down in his living room he shared some of his recent health issues with me. He also showed me some of his hardware collection and x-rays from his accidents over the years. We chatted about a lot of things and shared some stories. The time passed quickly and before I knew it, it was getting late and it was time for me to get back to the hotel and let David get to bed as well. David graciously gave me a ride back to the hotel (I would have happily grabbed an Uber or Lyft), but it also gave us a little more time to chat. He said to let him know next time I was back in town and if I wanted to buy a CX and take it home with me next time to let him know. I followed up with an email thanking him for the visit to which he promptly replied. I didn't think for one moment that this would be the last conversation we had. I have truly met some of the nicest people on a Honda, David was one of those people.

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
984 Posts
View attachment 205621
Amish Rally 2008 Tech Session
This reminds me of some of the spontaneous and quirky text sessions that we had. The funny thing is that if we tried to schedule them people avoided them but if someone just jumped in and started doing something people gathered around like this. These were good times and the spirit of the CX association was alive and well. Thanks a lot to Dave and other daves, riches Keith's , Steve's, genes, russes, Phil's and others.

Can you name those on the photo?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Left to Right (clock wise):

Ernie (Rich’s Brother in Law)

Lynn (LeninPA)

Rich (RichinCT)

Ross (rlcorn64jh)

Phil (Phil In Vermont)

Pete (Gamache)

Dave (DaveF)

David (DavidInWisconsin)

They are gathered around Lynn's GL500

·
Registered
'82 GL500 '83 GL650 '21 RoyalEnfield INT650
2,358 Posts
Has anyone heard anything about the memorial spring ride?

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,059 Posts
When I exchanged messages with his niece a couple weeks ago, they hadn't set a date yet.

Reactions: DanCX500

·
Registered
'82 GL500 '83 GL650 '21 RoyalEnfield INT650
2,358 Posts

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
984 Posts
Phil (Phil In Vermont)

Pete (Gamache)
I wasn't and I'm not sure about these two. Are you sure?

I think the tophead look more like Dave McCall from Pittsburgh area instead of phil.

There's several candidates other than Pete gamache for the guy in the red hat.

I don't think Pete was married at that time yet (ring) but I'm not sure. That was 2008 maybe he was, or living with his girlfriend. But there iwas fellows (Al, kbkeller) that came in with Dave a couple times and there was a third fellow that came down with Paul and Keith from Canada a couple times and there was a third fellow that came in with Rich and his brother a few times. There was also a guy that came in on a turbo from Massachusetts/Connecticut area I can't think of his name right now but he came a few years. The fellow in the red hat doesn't have long hair and has a stockier face than what Pete had. There was also one year that a fellow wrote up from Florida on his café CX.But I would have guessed that was 2012 or so

Maybe Rich will chime in if he knows. Not that it's important but a memory tester.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I wasn't and I'm not sure about these two. Are you sure?

I think the tophead look more like Dave McCall from Pittsburgh area instead of phil.
No, I'm not sure...

Phil was only a guess...

You are right, thats not Pete, though he was there that year (maybe one of his first, if not his first). Its a guy from the Harrisburg area that met up with me along the way - Jeremy Whitcraft. I want to say maybe he had a cafe racer modified or chopped CX and I don't think he is a CX owner anymore.

"The guy on the turbo" came with Rich and Dave - his name is Kevin (daBEERSinCT).

·
Registered
762 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Melody said we passed a weird milestone Sunday. Apparently that's the last time we stopped in to see Dave. I could have swore it was closer to May but we stopped by to BS for a couple of hours before everyone had to wear masks all the time.

Looking forward to a spring ride.

·
Registered
533 Posts
It's always this time of the year when I begin to think of all you guys and the great memories of the Spring Rides and BBQs. I'm very saddened to read about the loss of David. I was shocked. He was such a great guy, and of course had the best "Wiener" jokes ever. :cry:

Brian.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It's always this time of the year when I begin to think of all you guys and the great memories of the Spring Rides and BBQs. I'm very saddened to read about the loss of David. I was shocked. He was such a great guy, and of course had the best "Wiener" jokes ever. :cry:

Brian.
Hi Brian,

It has been a long time since I have been on here. This is the first I have heard of the loss of David. I rode up from Illinois and we went through my GL650 together - triple bypass, etc... He was a great guy. I enjoyed my time with him, and the many phone conversations I had with him. Good memories of David.

As he would always say... Shalom

Dave

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Just catching up on this thread. First fellow on the left is my brother Dave, not bro'law Ernie. Good job on the names though Bill.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i met david a couple years ago with a 81 gl500 project i bought he helped me learn about the bike and how to fix it i just recently bought a vw beetle and i remembered him and i talking about beetles so i was going to reach out to him but found this sad news
i am so sorry my friend you will be missed

·
Registered
11,059 Posts
Not since my last correspondence with Heather in late December, I think.

·
Registered
1981 CX500
18 Posts
I’m pretty sure I saw a post that he had passed away during his last hospitalization. Very sad day.

·
Registered
11,059 Posts
He passed a couple days before Thanksgiving.
There's supposed to be a memorial ride for him sometime this spring or summer. We're still waiting to hear a date.

Reactions: Fafnir
101 - 120 of 145 Posts