Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Hang in there, Dave. I didn't know you well, but always amazed at your knowledge and willingness to share. I haven't been active biking since I lost my leg a couple of years ago, but still enjoy the forums.

Reactions: TonyG

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
This is my "David" GL650 next to a fellow worker's INT650.
(This 2019 INT inspired me to call GoMoto about my INT that is the same color, but a 2021. )

Parked in front of my work

Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi folks.

It is with a very heavy heart that I bring you this news of David Wiener. As some of you may know, his health hasn’t been the greatest for quit a while now. He’s been keeping me updated along the way but wanted to keep it quiet. At times he was doing better than others, but always stayed positive. Last Wednesday he called to update me that he was diagnosed with stage 4 Leukemia, but was still optimistic he would be OK for a little while even though they wanted to set him up with in home hospice care. He had an appointment yesterday, Friday, to discuss his options. The Dr told him if he didn’t get into the hospital NOW, that he might be gone in 6 days. Today he called me from his hospital bed. They don’t know how long he’s going to last even with being under full time care. I’ll stay in contact with him as often as possible and keep you updated. If I don’t hear from him, I have his brothers # to call for updates. David says he’s mentally prepared for what ever happens, and said “shit happens”.

This is not an easy post to write. David and I have been good friends and shared many calls and emails over the years. He even visited here for a couple days on one of his trips to a BMW rally in Washington several years ago with his friend Bill. He’s helped and mentored a lot of folks to get their bikes fixed and has lots of bikes that he’s built and sold that will be on the road carrying the legacy that IS David Wiener, aka R80Dave.

Our prayers and hopes for your recovery go out to you David! You’ve been one of the founding fathers this community has had the honor to learn from and share time with. We are all better from your friendship and willingness to help. In life, we are "never promised tomorrow"! But we are grateful for the days prior that you shared with us. Be strong my friend!

Your friend,
Larry
View attachment 204631 View attachment 204630

·
Registered
103 Posts
David is a friend's friend. Although I am a novice to the CX community, he has treated me with much respect at his work shop and at several rallies. We've even shared campsites. I'd like to bring him a pie from Norske's Nook in nearby Osseo, WI. Where is he being treated? I hope they allow visitors.

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
757 Posts
Prayer vigil.for healing and doctors wisdom.

Dave was one of the original group that got to know each other on the swedish forum in the mid '90's. His friendship grew on me because of the rallies. he faithfully attended since about 2003.

I believe he really enjoyed his cx mentoring and repair hobby and shared part with me

I think the leukemia may have been worse at the onset than he let on. He didn't answer my last inquest about his prognosis.

May supernatural wisdom enter the doctors or his body and if it's not to be that we ride together again on this side, I will be THANK-full for sharing rides on this side. We had many a good ride.

Thank you Dave for being a friend.

·
Super Moderator
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hi Folks,
Here's the latest update for you.

First up, is that the Hospital he’s in will not allow visitors. The only exception they have made for him is to allow his attorneys in so they can get his legal matters in order including a trust.

David called me yesterday to tell me he’s got a meeting with the Dr in a day or 2, as well as a final meeting with his attorneys to sign the documents. He also wanted to know where I posted this so he could read it. He wasn’t sure if he would be able to post a reply though. He gets pretty emotional at times during our talks, and I’m sure reading everyone’s comments and well wishes will be hard for him. Just know that he’s been here and knows your sending him love and hope.

The hardest part of our talk was when he told me his prognosis is not good. And that probably on Monday, he will be transported to a nursing care home. And in his words, where he will be saying goodbye from. He says he’s ready for this all to end and be over. He’s worn out his fight and tired of the pain. They are doing all they can to make him comfortable. But that’s all they can do for now.

If I hear from him again, hopefully on or before Monday, I’ll find out which nursing home he’ll be in. He said they will allow 2 visitors at a time, so maybe you could take him that pie Grunt! I would call him, but he told me his phone will not ring and he can’t figure out why. So I have to wait for him to call.

Let’s keep praying and sending him our love and hopes!

Larry

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
I last saw David on January 1st of this year. In his usual, generous fashion, he had some parts for me to pick up. He seemed to be in good spirits and decent health, but he did say he had an army of doctors looking after him. As we all know, a lot can change in a year.
I've been meaning to call for quite some time, but I always seem think of such things at inconvenient hours. David, if you see this, give me a call.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi Folks,
Here's the latest update for you.

First up, is that the Hospital he’s in will not allow visitors. The only exception they have made for him is to allow his attorneys in so they can get his legal matters in order including a trust.

David called me yesterday to tell me he’s got a meeting with the Dr in a day or 2, as well as a final meeting with his attorneys to sign the documents. He also wanted to know where I posted this so he could read it. He wasn’t sure if he would be able to post a reply though. He gets pretty emotional at times during our talks, and I’m sure reading everyone’s comments and well wishes will be hard for him. Just know that he’s been here and knows your sending him love and hope.

The hardest part of our talk was when he told me his prognosis is not good. And that probably on Monday, he will be transported to a nursing care home. And in his words, where he will be saying goodbye from. He says he’s ready for this all to end and be over. He’s worn out his fight and tired of the pain. They are doing all they can to make him comfortable. But that’s all they can do for now.

If I hear from him again, hopefully on or before Monday, I’ll find out which nursing home he’ll be in. He said they will allow 2 visitors at a time, so maybe you could take him that pie Grunt! I would call him, but he told me his phone will not ring and he can’t figure out why. So I have to wait for him to call.

Let’s keep praying and sending him our love and hopes!

Larry
Let us know the name and address, I can send him a pie like the last time a couple of summers ago..Semper Fidelis

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
So sad to read this today. I haven't been on hear in a very long time. I first met Dave at the MOA rally in the twin cities in 2014. He sent me a data disk a month later that has been extremely helpful in sorting out my bikes over the years since. He was always a phone call away but I haven't reached out in the last few years. I'm sorry about that Dave. Sending you best wishes and hope you pull through. Scott.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've always enjoyed meeting Dave at the Amish rally, talking tech about our bikes and of course going on the rides together.

This is one of the reasons why I really enjoy the CX/GL hobby, we have a common interest and it's like having friends all over.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dave called me last night from the nursing home to say hello and goodbye. I knew of his condition but he has been so positive that it was a real shock to get that call. I've known Dave for about 15 years and am honored and privilege to call him a friend and mentor. He's a font of knowledge on more subjects than I can keep track of. His life has some truly interesting stories that he always seems happy to share. More importantly to me is the kindness, generosity and hospitality I've been fortunate enough to he's shown over the years. I couldn't find the right words last night when we chatted and I'm not sure I can now. I love having Dave as my friend and will always be thankful for that.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I too have been away from the forum for too long and this has come as quite a shock. I have read all the posts and agree with each and every one about the great and giving gentleman that Dave is.
I first met Dave on the "old" CX500 forum when I have questions and issues with my 1st CX (1978 standard).
Dave and a few others that are on this forum came together in my garage on a cold Minnesota February weekend to do the infamous "triple bypass". His knowledge is unsurpassed and we all had a great time.
He was also to blame :) for me getting my current ride an 82 GL500 Silverwing.
Dave, if you read this and the other comments, please know that we all love and appreciate you and your kindness!!!!

Greg K.

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Dave and a few others that are on this forum came together in my garage on a cold Minnesota February weekend to do the infamous "triple bypass". His knowledge is unsurpassed and we all had a great time.
Don't forget, David noticed the notch in your steering and replaced the bearings while some of us were working on the engine.

·
Super Moderator
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Hi Folks,

I took a chance and called David tonight. I was very relieved to hear him answer the phone. During our talk it was obvious it was all he could do just to talk, so I tried to make it short.

He is now in a hospice center where he will spend the rest of his days. Marci was there with him. He had a very hard time talking so I kept it as short as possible. He was expecting his attorney at any time so he could sign the documents, but was anxious for that to be done so he could try and get a full knight sleep that he’s been needing. He said it’s been like grand central station there and hasn’t rested well.

I apologize that I failed to ask where he was so I could get the address for those that want to send something or try to visit. I’ve given 2 friends of his, forum members, his cell number and asked them to try getting that information for you when they talk to him. It was tough hearing him trying to talk, so I made it short and forgot a couple things.

He did tell me that his apprentice that he’s been mentoring is on the forum, but does not know his forum name. If your reading this sir, please reply and add in what you can for us. We would all be grateful and look forward to the man that David gave his wisdom to!
He is on the Facebook CX site, so maybe someone here that is on it can reach out and find him.

That’s it for today. I’ll update more when I get it.

Send David your love and prayer.

Larry

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've been away from the forum and saddened by what I read about Dave. He was a fixture at the Amish Rallys talking tech to anyone who would listen. He was always eager to share his knowledge of motorcycle repair and ready to do on-the-spot diagnosis and repair. There will be quite a few waitresses dissapointed for not receiving $2 bill tips. Greasy bacon took on new meaning. I'm praying for you Dave. - Russ

·
Super Moderator
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Hi Folks,

The time has come. I got a call from David’s niece Heather, that David passed away in his sleep at 3:30 am 11/22/2020! He’s now riding high again in the heavens without any pain!

Heather will let me know when and where the services will be as soon as she knows. I’ll update when I get that. For now, I’m keeping this short. We lost a brother that I truly loved and will miss very much. He meant the world to me.

LOVE YOU DAVID!

Your friend, Larry

Reactions: rscottp and TonyG

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks for your posts Larry, will be looking for Service information. I called his home number but know one home?

21 - 40 of 89 Posts