Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks.

It is with a very heavy heart that I bring you this news of David Wiener. As some of you may know, his health hasn’t been the greatest for quit a while now. He’s been keeping me updated along the way but wanted to keep it quiet. At times he was doing better than others, but always stayed positive. Last Wednesday he called to update me that he was diagnosed with stage 4 Leukemia, but was still optimistic he would be OK for a little while even though they wanted to set him up with in home hospice care. He had an appointment yesterday, Friday, to discuss his options. The Dr told him if he didn’t get into the hospital NOW, that he might be gone in 6 days. Today he called me from his hospital bed. They don’t know how long he’s going to last even with being under full time care. I’ll stay in contact with him as often as possible and keep you updated. If I don’t hear from him, I have his brothers # to call for updates. David says he’s mentally prepared for what ever happens, and said “shit happens”.

This is not an easy post to write. David and I have been good friends and shared many calls and emails over the years. He even visited here for a couple days on one of his trips to a BMW rally in Washington several years ago with his friend Bill. He’s helped and mentored a lot of folks to get their bikes fixed and has lots of bikes that he’s built and sold that will be on the road carrying the legacy that IS David Wiener, aka R80Dave.

Our prayers and hopes for your recovery go out to you David! You’ve been one of the founding fathers this community has had the honor to learn from and share time with. We are all better from your friendship and willingness to help. In life, we are "never promised tomorrow"! But we are grateful for the days prior that you shared with us. Be strong my friend!

Your friend,
Larry

·
Super Moderator
15,339 Posts
Hoping to hear from him soon with better news. Usually I don't hear from him twice in one week unless he needs a hand or is going to be in my area so this was a surprise that I wish was better. I may not understand a lot about his situation but he's kept me updated along the way and I hope for the best.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I met Dave at the Amish years ago and quickly came to consider him a good friend. He has helped me out with parts and advice on many occasions, as I know he has assisted so many others of our community. I hope and pray for his recovery.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Thanks for the news. I have David's latest project, the GL650, in my garage, so I think about him almost every day. I love that bike!
I send my prayers and best to him and Marcie. My hope is to visit him in the spring on my bike and then take the ferry to Michigan to see my daughter.

Lee In Mpls

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Sad news indeed.
Hopefully Dave can be strong and pull through.
Thankfully Dave made it to a couple of the Canadian Honda CX/GL rallies.
Thoughts and prayers for Dave, Marcie and family.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My interactions with Dave were minimal but very positive. I hope he's able to kick the crap out of it. Cancer is one thing I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
David , confuss the Doctors and stay alive !!!

·
Registered
1980 Honda cx500 custom
180 Posts
Haven't met David in person, talked on the phone and e-mailed a few times. He really wanted me to come visit, but that corona virus put the breaks on that.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
More than a few folks ride GLs David has applied his expertise too. He has mentored many, the luckiest in person, many more via phone and internet, but always PERSONALLY. Additionally many of us have a computer full of complete factory manuals courtesy of David. He's always been generous with parts. I've enjoyed numerous rallys with David, sure would like to have a few more. Your riding advice was always spot on; ride all day but take frequent breaks, and you'll make the miles AND be able to dance all evening. Keep dancing David, you have set many fine examples for us.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I've talked with David on the phone a few times and he has always be eager to help out anyway he could.

Thanks for your willingness to help out David and best wishes for the future.

Regards,

Doug

·
Registered
32 Posts
2020 has got to be the worst year since WW2. It just sucks in every way and I can’t wait until its gone. Get well soon, David.....2021 will be much better!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was introduced to David this spring by phone and email. I deeply appreciated his help getting my 81 cx back on the road . It would have been in the scrap heap were it not for his generous spirit. What a wonderful man to find friendship with. Please David.... keep fighting this enemy. Your in my prayers and I hope to meet you in person soon.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I meet David at a couple of the Amish Rallies and enjoyed his friendship immediately! I will be praying that the treatments in the hospital are working. Keep fighting and get stronger Dave. May God give you and your family His strength as you all go through this time.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts