Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the cheaper rear cover gasket from David Silvers? I'm getting tired of paying 25.00 for a rear gasket and I'm sure I'll need one when I take this engine back out. Again. Anyone? The cheaper ones are only 9.00!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Tip: leave one side of the gasket dry so that it sticks to the casing surface and smear grease or oil on the other side of the gasket.
This will help keep those flippy-floppy gaskets in place while assembling the rear cover and will also facillitate removal next time the engine comes apart (!) and with care will remain intact and can be re-used - sometimes more than once!
And no, it will not leak..

·
Registered
1982 CX500C
65 Posts
Any gasket will seal as long as it’s installed correctly. Both surfaces on the engine should be clean and dry and the components evenly tightened and torqued.

Wax also works to accomplish what Jah Rider is saying. I keep chapstick in my tool box just for applying it to paper gaskets - it’s much easier and cleaner than using oil and grease.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
The specifications of this gasket are critical. Too many stories of having to pull the engine because the gasket was too thick or too thin.
Get a tube of Hylomar Blue (OEM gaskets come with a thin coating of this) and put it on both sides of the OEM gasket. You'll be able to re-use the same gasket for years if you're careful on removal.
When I get engine gasket kits, I've never used the one included for the rear cover, won't risk it. You could try the aftermarket, IIRC Murray posted the specs for the OEM gasket on here many moons ago, measure the thickness if you're going that route.
Always torque the rear cover to spec too.

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts

Reactions: Cobram

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,601 Posts
I've never had a problem with aftermarket rear cover gaskets. Now, make-a-gasket, on the other hand...
I dress both sides with GP grease. Seals well and comes off cleanly every time.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tip: leave one side of the gasket dry so that it sticks to the casing surface and smear grease or oil on the other side of the gasket.
This will help keep those flippy-floppy gaskets in place while assembling the rear cover and will also facillitate removal next time the engine comes apart (!) and with care will remain intact and can be re-used - sometimes more than once!
And no, it will not leak..
FORTUNATELY, I did grease one side of the Honda gasket before installing the rear cover. I may get lucky. The way this build is going though . . . :rolleyes:

·
Registered
82 GL500, 78 CX500
97 Posts
Has anyone used the cheaper rear cover gasket from David Silvers? I'm getting tired of paying 25.00 for a rear gasket and I'm sure I'll need one when I take this engine back out. Again. Anyone? The cheaper ones are only 9.00!
Got tired of shelling out my hard earned cash for new gaskets so now I have one new set I use as templates. I spend a few minutes making my own.

·
Super Moderator
22,553 Posts
FORTUNATELY, I did grease one side of the Honda gasket before installing the rear cover. I may get lucky. The way this build is going though . . . :rolleyes:
You should be lucky. I did the same with the gasket on the motor I've just opened up again and I'll be reusing it rather than cutting another.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts