Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Dash removal?

3K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Sidecar Bob 
#1 ·
I hope to have the engine back in the turbo this weekend. I was wondering if the dash will come out of the bike without removing the fairing? I don't want to have to take it off twice.

I can't reset the trip meter or set the clock and don't really know what is involved in fixing that.

Thanks again in advance.

#2 ·
Pretty sure you cannot remove the dash once the fairing is on the bike. I'm rebuilding mine and have access to the dashboard, but once the fairing is on you will be limited I think.

Bearing in mind there is some access when the bonnet is removed/hinged out of the way.

Been 7 years since mine was together, and is slowly going back together - so memory is sometimes not the greatest :D

#3 ·
I haven't touched the dash yet. While warming the engine up yesterday I messed with the knobs to set the clock and trip meter. I was surprised that I could set the clock. The trip meter knob will not spin. You can give it maybe 1/4 turn in either direction and it stops. Has anyone gone into the instrument cluster to fix these?

#4 ·
If the trip meter on the turbos is like the one on the CX650E you have to push it in and turn at the same time to reset it. Ans you don't need to turn it very far, maybe 90 degrees or less IIRC.

#5 ·
Just put 40 miles on the bike this weekend. I know it was 40 because the trip meter started working! I never removed the dash so I hope everything keeps working. I was expecting the reset knob to spin the numbers around to sets of 3 then you stop it at 000. Is it supposed to reset to all zeros then stop turning?

#6 ·
I'm pretty sure that's what the one on my CX650E did. Push in and turn it part way around at the same time and it goes to zero. That was a long time ago for me because I haven't used the stock instruments since the tach packed it in in 2008....

#7 ·
Ok thanks. I guess I will know soon enough. I'm trying to monitor mileage since I still have a fueling issue. The trip meter has been on 000 since I got it so I was happy that it started working.

The face of my tach does shake a little bit when you rev the engine. I hope that isn't a sign of impending failure.

#8 ·
My tach's problems started with the needle jumping around. Then it started squealing, initially when it was very cold out but eventually when it was above freezing too. Then the speedo needle started jumping too. I tried all the standard fixes like lubing the cable, replacing the cable, lubing the instrument &c and when they didn't remedy it I swapped in the 2nd instrument panel that came with the bike and its tach squealed too. After that was to build a new panel around some instruments of similar vintage from the wreckers and that seemed OK until that tach died halfway through the next winter. Next I spent way too much time gutting that tach and installing an automotive one in its shell but that died halfway through the next winter. After that I had one of those cheap eBay/China ones but it was never perfect and its odometer failed after 3 years, by which time its lens had yellowed so badly that it was beginning to be hard to read. The Danmoto 180 that replaced that is now older than the cheapie and still looks & works perfectly.

#9 ·
I guess I learned through trial and error that you can set the clock with no problem as long as the key is turned on. The trip meter, I figured is reset by just pushing it in. No turning will work. Still have trouble getting all the numbers to 000 and/or then start counting reliably when under way.

#10 ·
Maybe its just old & tired. It could be time to update to something more modern; I really like the Danmoto 180, especially that I no longer rely on rotating cables to operate the instruments.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.