Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it was only $50 for 2009, went up to $65 for 2010 (even though the bike hasn't been on the road) and now they want $95 for a year?

I've got three vehicles insured with this company, no tickets/accidents, single thus I can only drive one at a time.

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
In 2009 mine was $70 each bike. Last year it went to $160 ea. They said it was due to some new stupid California law. Oh, and that's not full coverage either.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
wow my insurance is only 75 for a year for my bike i also you allstate insurance now i am still hoping that i can keep them once i am in oklahoma though....

ps marshall you have a pm

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Allstate is here, insurance rates vary by location. Chances are you'll have the same or even lower rate.

As with all insurance it pays to shop around a bit, Providian was cheaper than Geiko for a few years but now it's the other way around.

I'm selling the darn 1 ton van anyway to a needy family if they can afford it. They'd just be using it to haul groceries in but I hate to see this Chevy 400 small block/ TH350 tranny taken out and used on a dirt track car. Simple 850 CFM Rochester carb personally rebuilt, not a lot of HP but it's got torque like you wouldn't believe. Probably hold 4 bikes inside and pull a few boats behind it. I've got all the seats for it as well, originally set up as a Church Bus and will easily haul 14 people.

Dual heat and air but the AC needs new expansion tubes. Holds an R-12 charge fine but just won't cool.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah well, looks like I save enough on the car & van from Geiko to offset the increase on the MC.

Van is definitely going though. $400 + a $12 battery and a quart or two of tranny fluid and it will be fine. Darn engine alone is worth over $800 to some people having such low mileage on it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I am 21 years old and had a ticket in the beginning of 2008. I use progressive and pay 80 bucks a year. I didn't think it was too terrible.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've got a spotless record (aside from some DUIs from ages ago that far from count considering they were in the college years) and am also a homeowner. Single, 54 years old and nobody else drives my vehicles. It is a scam, had I the free money I'd just take the option of putting up bondable money with the state as we have that option. If I recall it simply means that you have a CD or something that proves you can cover any potential financial responsibility.

I really wish they'd do two things:

1) Look into your accident records and consider that.

2) What in the heck does your credit record have to do with anything?

Yea, I messed mine up due to a lot of medical bills about 8-10 years ago when I didn't have full medical insurance but what in the heck does that have to do with the way they price insurance? Seems to me if you've proven yourself to be a good driver what the (expletive deleted) business is it of theirs?

G

·
Try being a Canadian,Ontarian to be more specific.........My 83 gl650 has not been insured under me yet so I don't know the cost yet.... but I am riding a 78 cb 550k ,53 years old clean record riding for 30 years .....$560 a year for public liability and public damage only,no fire ,theft or collision.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am 21 years old and had a ticket in the beginning of 2008. I use progressive and pay 80 bucks a year. I didn't think it was too terrible.

You're in IN, I'm in OK. They suck every nickel they can get away with. Probably less wrecks up there

Obama wanted change and even though I'm registered as a Republican I tend to vote bi-partisan - best man/woman wins.

Hit me pretty hard when a Democratic candidate from the farming community lost, he knew what he was doing.

Don't know how to get him to do it considering the huge load we dumped on him but the insurance industry should be looked into and I don't just mean medical which is a huge ripoff too. I could really care less who was elected, anyone had a load on their hands and it wasn't from the previous administrations, this was all coming from nearly 20 years ago.

I realize this it totally OT but who would you like back in there? The President has little power, it's Congress that controls the world. I'd say that, despite being from a primarily Republican state, we keep Obama in there and balance out the power a bit. He is not by any means the statesman that other have been but he's new. Darn guy doesn't even have any good speech writers for him but he sure is trying despite what he's been hit with.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Try being a Canadian,Ontarian to be more specific.........My 83 gl650 has not been insured under me yet so I don't know the cost yet.... but I am riding a 78 cb 550k ,53 years old clean record riding for 30 years .....$560 a year for public liability and public damage only,no fire ,theft or collision.

Guess I should feel lucky, it looks like it will be $209 / every 6 months for the car and (soon to be gone) van + $95 / year for the bike.

When the van is sold I doubt I'll be paying more than $300/year

·
Registered
239 Posts
Good ol' Indiana....$81.00 a year including towing. Not too bad IMO.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here in Alberta they have, or at least they used to 8 or so years ago for both cars and bikes, "vintage" insurance rates that are really low and based on appraised value I believe. Example: I used to own a 68 Buick, "Custom" by the way, that had an appraisal of 10,000 or so; my vintage policy covering everything to the max including replacement on appraisal value was 110 bucks/year. The only catch was the limit of 5000 K/year and that it couldn't be used as your main means of transport. Maybe that's gone way up to....

·
Registered
745 Posts
i shopped and shopped found mercury for $95 they cover nothing, in Feb my full coverage at $250 with 21st century a year is no longer , they stopped MC insurance,,,chickens
. her in San Diego on the news there are some thieves with a $2 cable stealing bikes ( by-pass ) if they catch you it's i think $1000 fine plus jail

G

·
The kind of prices you guys are talking about.....I would keep my two cb 78 550 k's and my 83 GL 650i insured that way if I felt like riding one or the other no problem....now I have to go to my broker and change policies(Legally) ,just to ride a different bike......or pay $500 + for each bike.......or swap plates and take my chances( which I will not do),if I were to get caught my rates would go up even higher.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
wow my insurance is only 75 for a year for my bike i also you allstate insurance now i am still hoping that i can keep them once i am in oklahoma though....

ps marshall you have a pm
Lucky,

I hate to burst your bubble..but when I moved to Oklahoma from Arkansas...my rates went up because Oklahoma carries higher liability coverages than Arkansas does. I am not sure how they compare to Arizona though.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK is 25/50/25

AK is 25/50/25

You all just don't crash as much over there. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
My Foremost is complete coverage (incl. towing) for $299/year. I also have my homeowners with them... helps some. May it never be needed! Come on Springtime!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts