Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I should start some record of this project. First the starting point:

After many hours of cleaning, blasting, powder coating & cursing ... things are finally starting to go back together:

·
Registered
967 Posts
Lookin very good! Likin' what I see!

I sorta hit the wall yesterday so-to-speak, and I am not even restoring my bike...just taking care of the PM needed to make it road worthy, giving it a good cleaning where needed. I long to ride, and when I get her running plan to take her piece by piece to 'clean things up.'

I ended up coming in the house early last night because I didnt want to get into one of those 'rushing' fits where things go wrong because you hurry. Keep posting pics and keep us updated!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Looks like you're off to a great start. Now that I have parts bike I want to start rebuilding parts and swapping them out on the good bikes. Stuff like carbs, mono shock, pro-link. The stuff that is time consuming or hard to get at. This way I don't have any down time and if I mess something up, it will be from the parts bike not one of the runners. Safari, what's the problem with your mono shock?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I set myself up to blast and powder coat the small parts, but I had the frame, swingarm, and fairing support bracket done by a shop. Don't have an oven that big. Does anyone know a good way to remove the rubber from the footpegs. I would like to powder coat those, too.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should really look at parts before I ask questions so I don't look so damned stupid here. The footpags actually disassemble quite easily, don't they? lol.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A little more progress. Maybe there IS a motorcycyle in all those boxes!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looking for some info on the attaching hardware for mounting the instruments to the triple tree. The parts manual doesn't help. Picture anyone?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
below is a photo of my swingarm pivot adjusting bolt installed. Is the bolt supposed to be exposed like that? After 15 years, I really don't remember. Somehow it just doesn't look right to me. Please tell me I'm wrong!

Dan

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
That looks right to me. If you go to the "Drop IO" link at the bottom of 'stichs post, you'll find a bunch of pictures of a complete skeletonization of a GL500. Should be of mucho use for putting a basket case back together.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ordered a set of JDA brake lines. After finishing the reassembly of my calipers, I tried them on for size. I found that the left & right hoses were made exactly the same. The left side fit fine and will bolt right up to the caliper without twisting & lays naturally. On the right side, it's another story. In order to align with the caliper, I have to twist the line 180 degrees. That makes the line twist up and it doesn't fall correctly. Does anyone who has used these lines know if it will eventually relax, or will the right side have to be replaced to fit correctly?

·
Super Moderator
2,850 Posts
Give Craig a call at JDA and he'll send you the correct one. He'll also send you the return envelope for the one that's not put together right. I bought a set for my 650 a couple years bake and one of them was leaking at the fitting. I had the replacement the next day after I called him.

And no, they won't relax as time goes by.

·
Super Moderator
23,718 Posts
I have a set of English Venhill brake lines to be installed on my bike. These get completely around the problem of how the lines lay by having seperate banjos that screw into the line with a compression fitting, as well as a choice of straight or kicked banjos.

You really can't go wrong with these things.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. I'll call him tomorrow

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Getting very close to completion of phase one of this project (rolling frame}. Added gear lube to the rear end and bled the front brakes. After a little drama of the double banjo leaking like a sieve, I found that I had them reversed on the bolt. Reassembled & no leaks there now. Unfortunately, the M/C is weeping around the reservoir o-ring. Hope I can get a new one at Honda. The only thing left is the rear shock. I have two. I blew the seal out of the original at about 80 psi of pressure. It leaked air before I tore this bike down. The fluid that came out was full of some kind of black plastic pieces. So I decided to take a look at the second one that I bought off ebay. Cannot blow out the damned thing with 120 psi and it holds air! I will check it for freedom of compression and, if it moves freely in the press, I'm going to use it. Then it's on to Phase two ... cleaning, testing, and installing the wiring harness.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Wow, your bike build is impressive. You will know that bike thoroughly when you are done.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks. I'm trying to take my time & not rush it. I only wish that other life issues didn't take up time that I could use to make progress. lol

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was attempting to blow out the seal. Tried the fluid compression method first, but it didn't work either. But I've decided since this shock is holding a tremendous amount of air pressure (without the retaining ring & snap ring), it can't possibly leak fluid, which is denser than air by far. So I'm going to verify that it will compress normally, clean it up, do a paint job on it, and install it. Oh...and install a zerk fitting on the top as I've already done on the rest of the Pro-Link

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.