Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought one of these

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Honda/CX_500_A/79-80/picture/Kyoto_Clutch_Friction_Plate_Set/

try to fit it today as it was sunny for once. result. TWO snapped clutch springs housing from 2 spare clutches.

reason: clutch friction plates WAY too thick. 3.5mm each, instead of the 2.62-2.78mm from the manual. no wonder the pile was 7mm taller than my old set of plates.

first time I tightened back up the centre nut, I tightened up one of the 2 springs with washers to 6ft/lbs and POP. the spring housing snapped. second time I was torquing up the 4 bolts after having tightened up the centre nut. POP, another one went!!

GUTTED! was on my way to a rally. need to go tomorrow with an old clutch fitted instead.

anyone had a clutch spring housing snap on them before ?

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
I have been burned by wrong parts many times...I always promise I'll triple check the next time...and I usually don't.

Sometimes it's labeled incorrectly at the manufacturer, and many times people will return things after exchanging with they need for what's in the box.

I thank you for this thread though, I've never checked new clutch plates, but I sure as hell will the next time!

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
I have to say that I've never had any problems with Wemoto but then on things like this I do tend to ring them like I ring David Silvers.I like to check with a Human.I doubt I'll ever need clutch friction plates as I've a box full of them off basket case engines in my garage and they are all within service limits.Another advantage of buying up cheap engines<grin>

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have to say that I've never had any problems with Wemoto but then on things like this I do tend to ring them like I ring David Silvers.I like to check with a Human.I doubt I'll ever need clutch friction plates as I've a box full of them off basket case engines in my garage and they are all within service limits.Another advantage of buying up cheap engines<grin>

will probably give them a call and see if they will send me a set of (dearer) EBC ones to make up for my broken housings.

I bought a cheap set of digital vernier calipers from LIDL few days ago, went through all of my old clutch plates measuring each carefully and put the thickest 7 in. RESULT! no or very little clutch slip.

also someone is going to drop me a spare clutch tomorrow, so I'm back in luck.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been burned by wrong parts many times...I always promise I'll triple check the next time...and I usually don't.

Sometimes it's labeled incorrectly at the manufacturer, and many times people will return things after exchanging with they need for what's in the box.

I thank you for this thread though, I've never checked new clutch plates, but I sure as hell will the next time!

glad I could be of help, I should have stopped to check after snapping the 1st one, just thought it was a freak accident. Twice and I knew there was something wrong. those cheap vernier calipers come in handy.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,434 Posts
glad I could be of help, I should have stopped to check after snapping the 1st one, just thought it was a freak accident. Twice and I knew there was something wrong. those cheap vernier calipers come in handy.
I snapped two coolant pipe elbows before I realized my hardware-store-sourced replacement o-rings were too thick.

R

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.