Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

New member today. Thanks for allowing me to be apart of the community. Wanted to reach out to you guys for some advice. My dad was an avid Honda rider all his life. He passed away three months ago from brain cancer.....he fought a great fight for 18 months or so. We are missing him greatly during this Christmas season. Well, before he got sick, he was battling a headlight problem that he could not resolve. If I remember correctly, everything else was working OK. He had a small leak at the gearshift lever that I know for sure.

I want to get his bike back to running order....I think he would be proud to know that his son took on this problem and got it going again. The bike has been in his basement ever since. A little dusty and dirty, but I think in good shape. Today, my brother and I brought it over to my basement. I don't think the bike has been cranked in probably five or six years. Need to buy a new battery and go through all the maintenance checks. I have the service manual.

He had the headlight completely disassembled and all the harness plugs unplugged......hoping I have all the parts. It looks like some of the screws might be missing, but I might find them at the house. He was obviously doing some checking on shorts and wiring issues. He had the light switch/clutch assembly off the handlebars as well. Battery was off and all associated wiring was disconnected. Did some looking over tonight and did not see any obvious loose wires or broken wires.

I'm sure that I will need some parts ordered in the near future. Any suggestions on dealers appreciated!!

Any advice on starting points will be appreciated. My mom has told me he fought this light problem for a while and finally it just stopped working.

I know my dad would be proud and I want to honor his dedication to riding. ( He rode a Honda bike to work everyday for 20+ years..even in the snow on occasion!!! He was a surveyor and party crew chief for the Georgia DOT! - Thanks Dad for everything!! We are missing you.)

Thanks in advance for your help and support.

·
Super Moderator
20,306 Posts
I think you'll need to put everything back together and start from scratch mate. Honda plugs and wire coding are very good and it should mostly make sense.

With everything reassembled turn on the ignition and check you have power arriving at the left controls beam switch though the blue/white wire. If not trace this wire back to the right control in search of the fault.

If you have power arriving at the beam switch check for power coming back out on the white [low] wire and the blue [high] wire to the headlight itself. I've seen a few that needed a new contact in the beam switch. These can be made fairly easily from shim stock brass.

To further test the beam switch the terminals solder connections on the side can be flashed. If the light comes on in doing this [blue/whit to blue and white in turn the fault is the beam switch.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CXPHREAK,

Thanks for the information. I will be checking this first as soon as I get a new battery. This is good advice!! I will keep you posted.
Thanks again for your help!!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your project. I'm sure your dad would be very pleased that you took his bike home to work on it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Tallpaul!!! Looks like I'll be doing some electrical troubleshooting for a bit!! He loved riding! He only had one minor accident in all the years of riding. Traffic is so crazy here in Atlanta now though!! Keep you guys posted on what I find. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Condolences on his passing.
Sometimes that starter button connection can be the issue, when it is pressed, the headlight is supposed to go out while the engine cranks.
So if you are not getting power to the hi/lo switch, then look here.

Also, POST PICS of the bike and lots of them as you work on it. {it's a requirement!}
And add the year and model to your sig, it helps us all give you the right advice without having to keep asking what it is.

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
Probably not an issue, but I would also check the 3 fuses at the handle bars as well as the main 30 amp fuse at/near the battery. Do the fuse mod to a modern blade type. easy job.
Main Fuse Modification - CXGL

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
OK. I'll get you guys some pics here shortly. Thanks. It is probably just moisture. Been sitting since 2006.

On another note. Got a new battery tonight and hooked up all the harness connections. Here's what I have determined so far:

No voltage at headlight plug.

Put a meter on the low/hi beam switch and followed the continuity check in the service manual. It looks like the switch is good, but I'm not getting any voltage to the switch after I power up(turn the key to the on position). I'm getting power to horn, blinkers and running lights.......they all are working fine. Looks like the diagram is routing me to the start switch next. Will check it out!!!

Thanks guys!! I guess I'm narrowing things down here.

Any suggestions to add to my findings??

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Guys,

Found the problem with the light(s). The single wire connectors are no good at the headlight. Lights are flickering when I move them around. I'll need to replace them. Took the light and housing off so I could get to the connectors. They wiggle inside the spade. No doubt the issue!!

The dimmer switch is good. The starter switch is good.

Any ideas on water proof connectors or other connectors?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
And there you go.

Welcome to the Forum from Sunny California.

Probably warmer there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guys,

Found the problem with the light(s). The single wire connectors are no good at the headlight. Lights are flickering when I move them around. I'll need to replace them. Took the light and housing off so I could get to the connectors. They wiggle inside the spade. No doubt the issue!!

The dimmer switch is good. The starter switch is good.

Any ideas on water proof connectors or other connectors?

Thanks!
Im having the same problem

1 - 20 of 22 Posts