Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it would be interesting to start a thread about exactly how forum members first got their cycles. After all, these are rare bikes and are not the easiest to come by, so let's hear those stories! This should make for some interesting reading!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Mine was given to me for free.  My buddy got divorced and I helped him move his stuff out of the ex-wifes house, and as we're loading stuff into my truck he says to me "do you want a motorcycle?"  I thought he was joking but we go into the garage and he has his CX leaning in a corner with stuff piled up around it.  He bought it from a guy from Indiana and rode it once and that was it.  I rented a u-haul trailer and he and I pushed it up and I drove home and unloaded it.  A month later I had it ready to start, the first time I fired it up I got really worried because the temp gauge shot up into the red immediately.  Luckily I'd found this site before that and with some help from people here I was able to fix everything and been riding it since.  Even though it was free I don't even want to try to figure out how much I've spent on it since then.  Just in parts alone I've probably put at least $2,000, and that's on the low side.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Dad had a Goldwing Interstate when I was little. I'm the only girl- was always dad's fishing buddy, etc and I really liked the look of his bike. Asked typical little kid questions- how fast does it go, how much does it weigh, etc. When he said 900lbs, I lived in a world of "I'd love a bike like my dad had, but I don't need a 900lb bike". Never gave owning a motorcycle a serious thought until the last few years. Most of my friends are doing the 'mommy' thing- getting minivans, PTA..... I'm still living life for me- getting crazy on the jetskis, learning to kayak, putting purple in my hair, and I figured learning to ride would be fun and give me something else to add to my list of things I learned during my time on Earth. The class WAS a lot of fun- and I am not a hard core, ride til it's too cold to ride person- but I wanted something to be able to have the option to ride. Still didn't give it much thought since I can't rationalize spending a few thousand on a bike that I won't be on everyday. Went on Craigslist, found a couple of bikes, and one was a Silverwing. It was the first time I had ever seen/ heard of a Silverwing... looked like dad's bike but smaller, what I've always said I wanted, but never knew existed! - joked to the boyfriend that he could get one for me- the guy was asking 900 for the bike and Troy said to ask him if he'd take 600. Went up to Elk Grove Village, looked at it, got it for 675. Brought it home in the back of the truck 6/12/2010, got all of the paperwork in order and started riding it 2 weeks later. Tore it apart and starting making the mods I want, and it needs to be finished yet, but I'm getting closer. This summer my goal was to get comfortable with the bike and make it my own, so next year, I can uncover/ check/ change and go.

Who knew? I thought I had just got lucky and found the style bike I liked at a cheap price (maybe because it's so old...)- I never knew I had stumbled on such a gem!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, my turn. Several years ago I was looking through some mail that I had set aside weeks earlier that I was about to throw away and noticed an envelope from my insurance company. It is usually just a stupid junk mail offer and I was SECONDS from throwing it in the trash. Instead I opened it up and there was a check for $500 in there for some payment issue that they had resolved which I knew nothing about. I immediately looked in a vehicle trader newspaper and found a motorcycle listed for $600 in the center of my state so I called the lister and met him within a day. I drove to his home with the wife and kids, and talked him down to $500 since it was not running (I suspected the carbs needed a rebuild). He agreed, gave me the title and I rented a U Haul (that I had a DEVIL of a time finding since it was the weekend)loaded it up and drove it home. It was later taken to the Honda shop and repaired with rebuilt carbs. What a lucky day that was!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Gasoline hit $4.50 a gallon and I have a van that gets 12mpg if you baby it. I had to have an alternative. Back then I was making money so I saved up $500 real quick and hit Craigslist looking for a cheap bike. There were several close calls. More than once I was on my way to pick up a bike and when I got there I caught it ridding away on a trailer. Too little too late.

This ad for a CX500 kept popping up, but the guy wanted $850 for it and I didn't have that kind of money. I tried to talk him down to $500 but hit a wall at $600. I scraped up the extra dough and high tailed it to his place of work. I got there just as the previous guy who looked at it was pulling out. Lucky for me he didn't want it. It was only running on one cylinder and the mufflers had been cut out, but I bought it and took it home.

Found this site and quickly found that the cylinder was flooding out due to the petcock vacuum line. Fixed that and rode that engine to death. It had always used oil. And the spring that was supposed to be in the oil filter was missing. I suspect that the oil filter shifted and blocked the line and that's what killed my engine.

I thought my riding days were over, then PWC in Lowgap came through with another engine and frame and I am back on the road. The new engine runs much better than the old one. Hasn't used a drop of oil in over 2,000 miles.

That's my story and I'm sticking by it.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
The 500 standards are a dime a dozen around here, you can pick up a project bike for $350.00-$600.00.

$1000.00-$1300.00 gets you a tits and beer bike.

My first turbo I won on E-bay for $1250.00. Piece of crap. Broken fairing, completely shot fork tubes. Refurbished it, rode it for 5k miles, sold it.

My second and third 500T's I had an E-bay accident. Won two at the same time. Rode the silver one once, sold it within two weeks for a very small profit.

Kept Racer, and what started as the stereotypical cam guide oil leak ended up becoming a triple bypass for my mechanic, and I refurbished it with original fiberglass all the way around (plus a tank), still riding it today. (Love that bike)

Bought a CX650E from a kid in Canada.

Discovered after importing it that it was a real piece of shit. Been crashed hard, fried stator, completely toasted cam chain, all three Torx bolts had sheared off, warped brake rotors (all three). If I ever meet that son of a bitch in real life, I guarantee, he will wish he never answered my Craigslist ad. Still slowly restoring the bike today for my soon to be wife.

For those of you on the old forum, if you remember Puffer Nutter, I bought his CX650 Eurosport. Had a few issues, but I've refurbished it, dropped in a new engine and triple bypassed it (myself!), and it turns out to be a pretty good runner.

CX650 Turbo, well, as usual my luck is weird. I only paid $3k for it, but it has some issues. The turbocharger is shot. It has a new stator, but I don't think the P.O. replaced the cam chain, or starter clutch bolts when he was in there. Body is in decent shape. The motor is the issue. I am 90% sure it's a school motor. The case had no ID markings on it, and the P.O. stamped it with the original motor number. How do I know this? Because I have the original motor in storage.

I have no idea what is wrong with the original motor. Neither did the P.O. He had also changed the Prolink to accept a different bike's shock. When he did that, he failed to put the bearing collars in (fucking idiot). Boy did that thing suck to ride until I figured out what the hell was going on. Rebuilt the prolink and installed an OEM shock. Bike handles great now.

Next spring, I'm throwing her on a trailer and taking her to Greg Goss to rebuild the turbocharger, and solve all of the engine issues.

·
Registered
546 Posts
My current bike.....

Well It's the 4th CX/GL. My second one was given to me, it sat in an employee's dad's backyard, crashed and forlorn for about 5 years.

This was January '09. I put an ad on kijiji (similar to craigslist) looking for GL500/650 body parts, and got a reply from a guy, in a town 3 hours away, who said he had a 650i. The bike had "fallen over in the wind" and wasn't sure what the condition of the parts were.

He took a couple of pics, and emailed them to me. Of a complete 650i.

I asked if he was selling the whole bike, and for how much, he said $300. And he'd deliver it in April. Needed a stator.

Scuffs and bruises, but she turned out to be a pretty nice machine for it's age, so I sold my other three and kept Charlie here for my keeper. With tires, Stator and a really expensively shipped clutch cable
, I figure I'm into her for about $700 so far.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Never knew these were 'rare'. I see a ton out here in SF for some reason...anyways my story:

Last year, I decided to participate in a motorcycle build-off called dirt bag challenge. The goal of the challenge is to build a custom bike for <$1000 in under 30 days. Pressed for time I searched for anything under $400 with a title on craigslist. When I found the CX, I knew it was the one. Legendarily bulletproof engine, only 2 cylinders to screw up, ugly enough for my tastes.

The guy I bought it from only wanted $300, but when I told him about the challenge he gave it to me for $250. Bought it as a toy until the front brake went out, then he decided to ditch it when he got a $400 estimate from our San Francisco "vintage" mechanic / crook (shop name rhymes with Harley's).

$35 caliper of ebay and some fluid changes and it was good to go. For the challenge I stripped it, swapped out the tank for a pair of fire extinguishers, put on a tractor seat...a couple minor tweaks and it was as respectable as my first build was gonna get.

THEN:

Bike's always a work in progress of rat bike ingenuity. Since then I've put the old tank back on, solo-ed the stock seat, and ran some dual headlights up front.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Waalll,

I know there are a few fossils here so they should relate to this..

I orginally bought a 1978 CX500 for $2400 30 years ago. It only had 8000 miles on it and came fully loaded with Samsonite luggage,

back rack with adjustable back rest so you could move it forward for the driver, and a Vetter IV Supersport fairing with the radio.

Since this was my only mode of transportation and no garage to keep it in, I basically destroyed it in about a year and a half.

During that time though, I looked at the Silverwings (and even rode a CX500 turbo once), and wished I had one of those to be able

to take care of right (like a garage for starters).

Back to the future....

I decided I wanted to get into motorcycles again, but didn't want to spend a ton of money. The memories of the twisted twins kept

coming back which prompted me to travel over 400 miles roundtrip to get a 1983 Silverwing. Pretty good shape, and after a few

thousand miles later and a buncha money to dress it up, me and the wife are enjoying every time we spend on her.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Longtime girlfriend/fiancee/friend/girlfrien/fiancee/girlfriend/friend (she never could make up her mind, currently she's just a very casual friend I rarely even talk to) seemed to be interested in guys that drove bikes, at least she'd go on rides with friends that had them so I started looking on CL and found the CX. Since I had always wanted one since they first came out I went and bought it. Running fine at the time but in dire need of something better than having a rattle can flat plack paint job (that got splattered onto the carbs, heads etc) leaking main seal (he tried to hide from me) striaght pipes right out of the H-box and a bunch of mis-matched parts cobbled onto it like a Suzuki MC and a leftover Vetter headlight just hanging there raw.

I slowly accumulated original parts and am pretty much in the paint and polish stage at present.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Never knew these were 'rare'. I see a ton out here in SF for some reason...anyways my story:

Last year, I decided to participate in a motorcycle build-off called dirt bag challenge. The goal of the challenge is to build a custom bike for <$1000 in under 30 days. Pressed for time I searched for anything under $400 with a title on craigslist. When I found the CX, I knew it was the one. Legendarily bulletproof engine, only 2 cylinders to screw up, ugly enough for my tastes.

The guy I bought it from only wanted $300, but when I told him about the challenge he gave it to me for $250. Bought it as a toy until the front brake went out, then he decided to ditch it when he got a $400 estimate from our San Francisco "vintage" mechanic / crook (shop name rhymes with Harley's).

$35 caliper of ebay and some fluid changes and it was good to go. For the challenge I stripped it, swapped out the tank for a pair of fire extinguishers, put on a tractor seat...a couple minor tweaks and it was as respectable as my first build was gonna get.

THEN:

Bike's always a work in progress of rat bike ingenuity. Since then I've put the old tank back on, solo-ed the stock seat, and ran some dual headlights up front.

How surprising that they are not rare in San Francisco. They are practically UNHEARD of here in South Carolina. In fact the Honda shop has always been weirded out by it, and they say that they NEVER see them. I did find one other like it when I went to Sprawl-Mart months ago. He even had the metal master cyl from the same Ebay seller from who I bought mine.

·
Registered
402 Posts
When I was on my last semester of college my dad asked me what kind of used motorcycle I wanted for my graduation present... I replied "Something Different that almost no-one else has"

Well he sent me a picture of it in the dark covered in dirt one day and I replied "what the hell is it" He told me and i did my research found this site and i have been hooked ever since!

He found me a real winner goes like hell and is comfortable to ride and damn near nobody knows what it is

·
Registered
260 Posts
My first bike was an '82 CB750SC Nighthawk, nowhere near original anything on it. After sinking around $1200 in fixing it up, and it inexplicably dying on me (carb problems), I sold it off to cut my losses. I then spent the next several years between motorcycles, during which time the price of gasoline tripled and then receded slightly. Fast forward to this spring. I was looking at bikes on Craigslist, and saw the ad for mine. That same morning, my wife went to a community yard sale and called me to tell me about a bike she saw advertised at the yard sale. The same bike I was looking at that morning. She got the owner's name and number, so I figured that Fate had stepped in. I went to look at it, struck a deal for the bike plus a nearly complete parts bike, and after some sacrifice, it sits in the shed waiting for a brake job (which I knew about before shaking hands). I found this forum while looking up information on the model, and you guys played a large part in me deciding to purchase it. If it weren't for your enthusiasm and expertise, I would likely have passed on the opportunity. So, Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
602 Posts
I’ve had numerous CX/GLs in the garage over the years, starting with a CX standard I bought new in ’79, but right now I have two GL500i’s. One is a candy muse red ’81 that my Dad bought new and that I inherited, it has 44k miles and some minor rash but it is in excellent overall condition. It only gets ridden once every week or so, but I will keep it going in memory of my Dad. The second GL is a silver ’82 that I found on Craigslist and rescued out of a barn last winter. As a project bike I think it turned out pretty well and I have been using it to commute to work all summer, it’s not perfect but it looks good and runs great.

·
Super Moderator
15,413 Posts
Well the short story is I rescued it. This is where it sat 7 years ago but it wasn't a mowed area.

Ok so I got my pile of bike from Melody asking her dad nicely if I could have the pile of junk under the apple tree. The bike had sat there around 6 years. This was 2003. From 1984-1997 it sat in an abandoned van in the middle of a field full of snakes.

The engine was locked up, the carbs were full of what looked like mud. Someone had cut the wiring harness to steal the headlight bucket. Exhaust was rusted off, tires crap, side panels missing, MC seized, cables rusty and not free moving, seat ripped and i'm probably forgetting more. At that time it had 44,000 miles on it. After 7 years of restoring and then customizing and some swearing it has became the Supertanker and has 63,000 miles on it and gaining.

I have been on this forum learning since two weeks after I got the bike. Without the forum the bike would still run but not as good as it is now and it wouldn't look as good.

·
Super Moderator
11,464 Posts
My first bike came to me nearly 35 yrs ago on a lark, what I think I remember to be a Honda CB175 twin, don't recall the vintage. Rode the beejeezus out of it, was a great commuter. Can't even remember what its fate was. Got more into the pedal variety then.

Fast forward to 7 some years ago, and on my work website classifieds, a guy up in the Seattle area with our company had an ad for what soon became my CX500c. Merely 7K on the clock, and he was firm on the $1500 price. I hadn't really been looking for another m/c at that point, (or any time in the last 30yrs), but when I saw the pics of it, my heart raced. "What a beauty" I said to myself. I quickly found a way to get the funds, drove up, and bang, I had to seal the deal. Ran really great, cosmetics were near show room. I found out later I was actually the third owner, which surprised me.

I haven't really had to do much at all to her. An oil leak at the side of the rear engine case, then the front case leak, both easily dealt with (with help on the second one). And a Larry carb job here a few months back (Best money I have ever spent, by the way). A few pesky little annoyances are starting to appear as she in the 24K range now, but they are really just basics I hope to address soon.

Edit to add, my avatar is what it was just shortly after I brought her home. It's first bath, to me anyway.

She still is my pride and joy, and I also have a great deal of thanks for this forum.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
194 Posts
I got mine circumvently from a buddy of mine. He had owned it for several years, riding it almost daily and he started having problems with it. He upgraded to a shadow 1100 and sold it to a guy in the church who repaired bikes on the side. After this guy repaired the bike he first asked my buddy if he wanted to buy it back. Since he already had another bike he told me about it and I jumped on the chance to get it for $500. Not bad for one that was running great at the time.

Interestingly, the first time I rode this bike was when my buddy owned it. Took off down the block and she died at the stop sign. Couldn't get it to refire. After about 3-4 minutes I looked down and was VERY GLAD nobody was looking. I forgot to turn the petcock to ON. Like duh.

·
Registered
837 Posts
First Bike - Year: 1971. I'm in Grade 11. Got a summer job and needed some transportation. Humm..., "How about a motorcycle?" - Dad says (a former rider in the UK pre-war years). I look at the Honda line up, visit a dealer numerous times until I'm salivating at the look of the Honda 350. A new one's financially out of reach so I research the want ads and make an appointment to see a 350 somewhere in a Toronto neighbourhood that I'd never been to. Dad and I drive to this pretty swanky neighbourhood. The house at the address is easily 3 times the size of our house. A real dwieby kid answers the door, with a doting mother not far behind. He takes me to the garage. OK...this doesn't always happen, but there it was ... a brand new 1971 Honda 350 with only 602 miles on it (Canada was still in miles back then). Not a scratch and still with the show room shine! He (the kid) had it for three weeks. He wanted $900. The list price of the bike then was $960. I offered him $700. It's all I had, and the bike was easily worth more. Before he had a chance to say anything, his mom bellowed, "That's a good offer!". Got the bike. I don't think his mom wanted him driving a motorcycle. I drove it all summer until one day when it rained really hard. My boots filled with water 3 times on the way home from work. I didn't have any rain ware. Sold the bike the next day for $650. Bought an MG. That was a mistake!

Second Bike - Fast forward to 2007. A new neighbour moves into the neighbourhood. He moves into the biggest house in our neighbourhood. I see him driving a motorcycle. At our neighbourhood's annual golf tournament I get discussing motorcycles and find out he has five!...one for sale...his former wife's 2002 Yamaha V Star Silverado. I take a look. I thought this wouldn't happen twice in my life but, there it was. A five year old bike with only 2,600KM. It's literally brand new. The show room shine was gleaming! Even though I hadn't driven a bike in over 35 years, I take it around the block and...well, you know the rest of the story. Found it a bit heavy, but great looking and sounding. Easy riding bike too! Kept it for one year - after putting about 9,000 km and sold it for $500 more than I paid.

Third bike - Fast forward to 2010. I'm getting bored...I really shouldn't be, but we all know the calling for that breeze in your face. Start looking around. Take a few smaller bikes on a test drive. Wanted a commuter bike for short trips around town, but since we have some highways, needed something that could hit 120KM/HR (about 70 MPH). Look at a '78 gl500. Liked the way it handled, but that particular bike was NOISY. Take out another one, and another, and another, and a bunch of other bikes. Something good about the GL's. See a CX650E for sale. I'll call it an unscrupulous curb side car dealer of sorts. He took the bike as a partial trade in for a car 9 months earlier. He knows nothing about bikes. This particular bike is somewhat cosmetically challenged when compared to my other two bike purchases, but it's one heck of a price. I take if for a ride...WOW, what a difference between the earlier GL's test drives. Night and day. Negotiation takes 2 days. $800. Get a couple of new tires put on, the rad flushed, oil changed at a Honda dealer (just so the mechanic can give it the "once over") and I can have some satisfaction that it's a safe machine. Everything goes as hoped for. Wow...I'm still impressed with this bike...having now put on 2,500 KM in my first month. Since joining this web site I've threatened my wife to get a 2nd bike...like many of you have. One I can tinker with, but I may be waiting a number of years before that actually happens.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I bought my GL500 in 1982. I traded in my 2 year old CX500D because my girl friend liked the passeger seat of the GL better, and I wanted the larger gas tank. I think I paid about $2,200 and got only $600 in trade for the CX

... 28 years later she still likes the passenger seat

·
Registered
123 Posts
My dad bought it in 2000 from a friend who's wife decided she didn't want to ride it anymore. He rode it for a year, and decided he wanted something bigger (1987 Goldwing), plus the cam chain tensioner needed replacement. I bought the replacement tensioner, and I was allowed to ride it under a few conditions. That I went to a motorcycle safety course, and got it insured etc. I rode the bike for a couple of years, and my younger brother got a wild hair up his ass to show off to his then girlfriend. The front brake caliper was locking up, and in retrospect it was a combination of the MC and original rubber line. It wouldn't move so well for him so he pushed it really hard and ended up shredding all of the friction plates in the clutch and dumped it in the process. At the time I didn't have the money to replace the MC, brake line, and clutch. We parked it, and it sat in a Morton Building on my parent's property from 2003 until this year. Over Christmas, Dad tells me that they are clearing out some space in the building, and that he is giving me the bike. Over the last 4 months, I have been getting the parts together and working on it in short spurts. My parents live an hour away, and that puts a damper on being able to work on it everyday. This weekend we are putting on the new tires, MC, JDA brake line, overhauled caliper and putting it through it's paces for me to bring home on Sunday.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts