Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My CX650 turbo that I recently got was having some performance issues, ie, poor idle, idle would be erratic, poor power, engine would not rev out and pull with any type of power. Idle would hang, meaning you rev the engine and the idle would "hang" at about 3k then SLOWLY decrease to 1500 RPM.

Engine has clean and fresh fuel, clean air filter, new plugs and oil/filter and new battery.

Bike runs normal (no more erratic idle or hanging idle, good engine pulling power) when the Pb sensor was disconnected.

Can the bike be run without the Pb sensor? Honda no longer makes the Pb sensor anybody know of a source?

Any suggestions.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My CX650 turbo that I recently got was having some performance issues, ie, poor idle, idle would be erratic, poor power, engine would not rev out and pull with any type of power. Idle would hang, meaning you rev the engine and the idle would "hang" at about 3k then SLOWLY decrease to 1500 RPM.

Engine has clean and fresh fuel, clean air filter, new plugs and oil/filter and new battery.

Bike runs normal (no more erratic idle or hanging idle, good engine pulling power) when the Pb sensor was disconnected.

Can the bike be run without the Pb sensor? Honda no longer makes the Pb sensor anybody know of a source?

Any suggestions.

Yeah, typical PB sensor behavior. No computer codes to alert you, and I bet the static measurements fall within parameter specs if you measure it with a multi-meter. The sensors can be found; do a search and you may get lucky. Some bikes are being parted out. I will search craigslist and eBay tonight, and will let you know if I find a parts bike. For the time being, you are not doing any harm by having it disconnected. You can still ride and enjoy the bike. I have a bad PB sensor in my workshop shed. I have always wanted to cut it open with a Dremel tool and see if I can repair it. I bet it is nothing more than a variable resistor connect to a bellows like an automotive MAP sensor. I think I might do it in the next few days. Anyway, I'll let you know about the search........

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yeah, typical PB sensor behavior. No computer codes to alert you, and I bet the static measurements fall within parameter specs if you measure it with a multi-meter. The sensors can be found; do a search and you may get lucky. Some bikes are being parted out. I will search craigslist and eBay tonight, and will let you know if I find a parts bike. For the time being, you are not doing any harm by having it disconnected. You can still ride and enjoy the bike. I have a bad PB sensor in my workshop shed. I have always wanted to cut it open with a Dremel tool and see if I can repair it. I bet it is nothing more than a variable resistor connect to a bellows like an automotive MAP sensor. I think I might do it in the next few days. Anyway, I'll let you know about the search........

I still searching craigslist. However, I did use this salvage network a few years ago. Here is the link to join and search:

http://motosalvagenet.com/

Be careful of some the places that respond. AND DO NOT USE OZ POWERSPORTS in Ottawa Kansas. I had a very bad experience with them a few years ago. Nasty e-mails, etc. They wanted $650 for a sensor that another dealer quoted for $40 (which I bought). When I asked them why so high, they became nasty, laughed at me, wondering why I thought "they would just give away a rare part", which I said i expected to pay a high price but not a gouge like that. Then came the nasty e-mails and phone calls. They even said they were putting me on a national cheapskates list of who not to sell to. All of this for asking a simple question, which was reasonable considering the other dealers very low and reasonable quotes. DO NOT USE OZ POWERSPORTS...... and you can tell them I said it......

Also found this one from a few months ago on this board. Maybe it's still available.....http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/topic/3480-wrecked-cx500-turbo-and-misc-parts-for-sale/

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Homer:

Thanks for the news. It looks like the CX500 and 650 share the same Pb sensor. I am trying to track one down also.

If you find one let me know. If I find one I will post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.