Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I have recently acquired a 650t that has a rear shock problem. I had been taking it for a few test rides and

the rear suspension seem to lock up compressed. I put the bike on the center stand and played with the dampening adjustment and the rear wheel dropped down in stages to its origional position. It does have about 50psi do it is maintaining pressure. I was reading that a plastic bottom out washer can shatter and cause the dampening valves to become blocked. Has anyone ever pulled one of these apart to fix this problem??? I did find some info where someone had

pulled apart a euro shock with success but am not sure if they are similar inside.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Tone

·
Registered
658 Posts
Hi All, I have recently acquired a 650t that has a rear shock problem. I had been taking it for a few test rides and

the rear suspension seem to lock up compressed. I put the bike on the center stand and played with the dampening adjustment and the rear wheel dropped down in stages to its origional position. It does have about 50psi do it is maintaining pressure. I was reading that a plastic bottom out washer can shatter and cause the dampening valves to become blocked. Has anyone ever pulled one of these apart to fix this problem??? I did find some info where someone had

pulled apart a euro shock with success but am not sure if they are similar inside.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Tone

I would guess you need to lubricate the pro-link bushings...They are probably froze up..

PK

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would guess you need to lubricate the pro-link bushings...They are probably froze up..

PK

Thanks for the reply.

I have taken off the shock and replaced it with a spare euro one. Although it is about

one inch shorter it still works ok. All the bushes are moving ok. I could move the

swingarm freely without the shock

Tone

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi all, It's been five days since my first post.

NO viable replies. I can't believe nobody has ever pulled one of these shocks apart??

Well I guess I'll be the first then.

Cheers

Tone

·
Registered
44 Posts
The manual for CX500t shows how to remove and install the air part of the shock absorber.

It doesn't look like the "shock absorber" it self is able to be disassembled.

The process requires an exact amount of atf to be left inside the shock.

if you dont have any ATF I guess it might start binding up.

It looks like you need a special tool (or machine one up) to press it apart (removing a lock circlip). Don't think you're going to do it with a screw driver.

I think I would try adding the atf and bleeding it first.

It say s fill it (no air) and bleed (pressing it) 6.1 ounces (180ml) out of the air line(valve out !) Like Timothy_D said you will need press or similar to hold it vertical.

Stephen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.