Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any 650e owners know if the bulb used in the Light is a basic h4, or is 34901MC7602 something special that Honda charges $35 for it?

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Lol...you pay for the box.
But if its made in japan, might b better quality than the auto stores..

I think i posted this story before when i had my K100rs Bmw...i could either have Bmw spark plugs...that came in a bmw box but champion brand (not bosch) made in canada at $22each or Ngk equivalent for bout $1....that was almost 40years ago ...so $88 for 4 plugs was over the top.....

Official spare parts can be marked up 100s or 1000s %

Reactions: TonyG

·
Registered
468 Posts
yep case in point =>
triumph starter motor - has triumph and denso part numbers (sticker) => $832
Denso part - exactly the same - just denso part no -=> $350
Aftermarket equivalent => $250

I bought triumph from wrecker / ebay and refurbished => $70

Rayman

·
Registered
1982 cx500tc turbo
166 Posts
Hi
Yes oil filter from Dealer OEM high price average price $ 27 a pic
Same filter in VIX brand from my local parts store $ 6.95 a pic
hold the two filters side by side and the are made in the same factory
keep your eyes open when shopping for parts

Here is a good one well
I have ordered a lot of parts for my CX500TC from CMS.NL and for some reasen I forgot to order a seal for the rear wheel..OK stopped by the local dealer and ordered a seal ?,:'|$$$$$
CMS price in Canadian $$$$$$$$ 9.60
HONDA local dealer $$$$$$$$ 17.85
WOW that's the reasen I shop overseas and shipping is cheap or free when the order is over $ 200.00 EURO

TLD 🇨🇦 🇩🇰

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Cant understand why people reject CSMNL...
When people complain bout their price I always mention its LOWER than when the honda dealers had it before NLA....

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the local auto parts store, not a chain store but a regional multi location did not have H4 in Wagner lights. And they had 2 9003. Said something that h4's and 9003s are kind of rare? I mentioned that they are all over eBay and he didn't have a response. I was going to go with Phillips extreme vision bulbs but these I got from Wagner have similar temperature light and similar claims of increased brightness. They are in the 3500 degree range which isn't overly impressive but does well enough for me.
They also had a Sylvania line, I think it was, and did not have any h4 or 9003 in that line at this time either.. Maybe those are the most common models and with production cutbacks and shipping problems the supply chain is running short on those.

·
Registered
1982 cx500tc turbo
166 Posts
Hi
The first order took 3 days to get here to Sherwood Park Alberta
the 2nd order took 11 days
Just put in a new order this morning we will see how long this one takes
I all ways try to order enough so I can get free shipping
This time I did not have a order big enough to get free shipping
Shipping cost was $14.95 Euro
That still cheaper then local Honda dealer and most of the time they cant look up the parts because they are not willing to look for older models

TLD 🇨🇦 🇩🇰

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E
2,122 Posts
H4 and 9003 are interchangeable , the H4 is brighter than 9003 on factory replacement specks. H4 is a motorcycle bulb and being cars have 2 head lights the 9003 are not as powerful. How I know ,my Mazda2 had 9003's when I got it ,but when it 's headlight lamps burned out ,me being broke looked through my parts bin found the lamps I had taken out of the bikes and stuck them in the Mazda, behold ,could see better.
Prefer the led's other than the cost, but find I'm having trouble spotting bumps in the pavement, compared to incandsent lamps.cheers

·
Registered
1982 cx500tc turbo
166 Posts
Hi
I installed LED in my 2009 Chev and they work good and bright

The H4 is available with higher wattage on both Low and High
been using the H4 with 80w Low and 100W high and they work good
Be carefull when using the 9003 the taps are different on the 9003 and it don't sit proper in the socket

We tried to install them in my friend's ST1300 and that's when I made the discovery
The taps are different

TLD 🇨🇦 🇩🇰
PS: There is bumps in the road in BC
Come out to Alberta and discover Bump's and frost heaves LOL

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Both the Wagner and philips extreme vision had 55/60 and 3500 degree ratings. The philips was a h4, the Wagner a 9003.

I couldn't tell a difference from the bulb that was in the bike, a ge h4. or hb2 50480U

1 - 13 of 13 Posts