Honda CX 500 Forum banner

161 - 180 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
What I really miss about the Cx650e is the torque ,it was excellent for mountain hiway touring. My Silverwing has comfort and killer tunes but give her some more time to get up the hill, and shift down a gear or two. Well time to go get a christmas tree,duty calls

·
Super Moderator
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Hi folks, and Happy New Year!

As usual, with jobs that come in and life in general, this project takes a back seat. The only progress so far has been getting the H-box coated and baked the day after my last post. It's actually been sitting in the oven the whole time and I just pulled it out yesterday. That's how busy things have been. I also got my latest order of parts from Honda in, as well as getting the chrome work back. Now that the holidays are over with I'm going to try and get back in and start some of the final assembly with what I have here. There are still a few details to deal with like getting the Handle bars powder coated, finding a good speedometer inner cable, Brake hoses, and figuring out the best layout for the wiring behind the front cowling. All that will take time as I'm sure there will be other projects and life that will pop up. But for now, I'm going to start by getting the chrome coolant pipe installed so I can fill the motor with fluids, then start in on installing the exhaust system.

Glass beaded, painted with VHT High temp paint and baked.

All the chrome work came back nice except with the left header pipe that had some bits of debris in the final layer of plating. That's been sent back and will be redone next week.

And then, HOPEFULLY, the last of the OEM Honda parts. I was even able to get a new tack cable too. It's here, but I forgot to put it in the layout for the picture. All these parts will be shown separately as they get installed.

Here's the new Tach cable AND the choke cable I was fortunate to find that came from Germany.

Well, that's it for now. Lets see just how much I can get done before the next project comes along! See you in the next update, and here's hoping everyone has a great new year to come and stays safe and healthy!

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
That looks fantastic Larry
I can't help thinking you cant go hacking that about and it belongs in
say Jay Lenos garage or a museum.

It's even got a working fuel gauge!
that alone makes it pretty unique :)

·
Super Moderator
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #164 (Edited)
Thanks Reg.
I definitely won't be riding it much after the initial break in and test rides. Hopefully I can get it to a few shows during the year before I get it to auction next year. As mentioned, there's a few collectors waiting to get they're hands on it that have large collections in a museum.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wow. May I ask what it cost to get all those bits chromed? The prices here in Oz frighten me.

·
Super Moderator
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
Thank you all for the likes and compliments.

Well, as they say, "the best laid plans" just may not go as planned sometimes. I did get the coolant tube, H-box and foot peg assemblies installed a couple days ago and was enjoying the progress and look of it all so far.
Today I started in on assembling the exhaust system so I could eventually get the motor running after a few more details including the carb install. But, as I put the two mufflers in place and wiped off the hand prints, I noticed that they had bits of copper sitting in the surface of the chrome plating. Soooo, they will also be packed up and sent back for a redo tomorrow. I do understand that things go wrong sometimes in plating since I've had this happen with my zinc plating. Contamination in plating tanks can happen, And, I do understand how these spots were missed at a quick glance by the quality control person before shipping them off. I've had these parts for a while and didn't notice it till after I installed the mufflers and I was clearing off the dust and hand prints till I saw the the problem areas. Well, I'll just have to focus on something else with this project while I wait for the redo! As is also said, "S!#* Happens". I just have to adjust and flow with it!

Here's where I was before I start pulling the exhaust off tonight to pack it up. And yes, the black markings on the front of the muffler is just part of the areas that had issues on both mufflers. It's circle to show the company where to look.

BTW, this is the first issue I've ever had with any project I've sent to this company. So 1 out of 15 or more projects isn't bad in my opinion! It's only been a 3 year build. What's another couple weeks EH!

See you in the next update.

·
Super Moderator
13,456 Posts
It sounds like your plater is going to make things right for you without you having to get all bent up about it and that's all you can ask of anyone. I've often said that anyone who does much of anything is bound to make a mistake eventually BUT you can tell what kind of people they are by how they handle the mistakes.

·
Super Moderator
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Update, the platters are redoing all the exhaust parts. When they are done they are going to let them sit a few days to ensure nothing goes wrong this time. They already did the left header pipe and sent it back before they got the rest of it from me, and it's beautiful. During this last week I have sustained from doing any work in the shop. Just been updating computers and doing things around the house. I won't be doing ANY bike work till I get back from the Mecum Auction. I guess you could say I'm on a "pre vacation" Vacation!

See you all when I get back to work.

·
Super Moderator
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #173 (Edited)
Hi folks. As par for the coarse, it's been more than a month since my last update. Time fly's when your having fun! I've been busy off and on with carb rebuilds and home projects, but, I have spent some time working on the project as you'll see. This will be my first post with the new forum format, so I hope I get it right the first time around.

When I last left you hanging I was waiting for my mufflers and header to come back from the second round of re chroming. I'm happy to say they came back perfect this time with no issues. During that time of waiting I spent some time cleaning up the end caps for the mufflers since they were pretty badly weather/age worn and looking ugly. Since they had 3 good clamping points, I chucked them into my lathe and spent several hours with progressive grades of sandpaper getting all the pits out before polishing them with a small wheel attached to a die grinder. I was optimistic at first, but I was happy with the results.

This is one of them on the lathe as I was sanding it into shape.

Refurbished vs old.

After they were both done I taped off the polished parts ans sprayed the inner ring black to match the OEM finish.

In the last couple weeks I received an email from a fellow through the MotoFaction site. Long story short, Alex, sent me pictures of his 84 CX650E and the harness/plug orientation behind the front fairing to help me figure out how to lay everything out so it didn't bind or pull apart while riding. BTW, the factory FSM does not have that in the manual like most other CX/GL versions. Anyway, here it is all wired up even though it's a bit hard to see. Yes, the 2 black wires with the soldered leads on it are for the horn and still need to be cut and have the correct ends soldered/added on.

During our conversations I mentioned that I still needed a good speedometer cable and asked for the length from his 84 CX650E so I could compare what I had on hand from the boxes of parts I got with this basket case. Another short story, he sent me a link to the fact that CMSNL had one in stock so I ordered it. Even though the shipping price matched the cost of the cable, it was worth it since it showed up from the other side of the world in only 3 days after I placed the order. And, they were NOS Honda in the original packaging. Amazing!!! BTW, after they arrived I ordered both throttle cables which should/WILL be here by Monday.
Here's the hard to find speedometer cable. And it fits perfectly!!!

OK, enough beating around the bush with details details details.... with the exhaust finally installed, the wiring connected, the carbs installed, and getting the old coil wires in place, I could not resist hooking up the fuel bottle to the carbs and seeing if this thing would fire up. As you can see here, I Hope, I was shocked at how fast the motor fired up!!! I hope this works.

I'll post this and hope it works, then I'll update the next steps that I've already made and the help with a part I need. Hope to be back soon. Old dogs do learn new tricks.... It just takes a bit longer....

·
Super Moderator
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
When I did the short test run of the motor, I noticed that the tachometer needle didn't move when I revved the motor. Since I had not gone through any of the gauges as of yet, I set out to clean and lube both the tack and the speedometer to get the old lube out and new in so they worked smoothly. The tach works perfectly and responsive now. But my next dilemma was to clean and lube the speedo that was for KM/H that was in the original gauge cluster, or replace the speedometer with the MPH speedometer from the box of parts that was marked as being from a CX500E. In the beginning I cleaned both the tach and speedo that came with the original cluster. But knowing I may not sell it right away, (European buyer) I decided to convert it to the MPH speedometer so it conforms to the USA standard. It may be easier to get it registered here in the states that way. Anyway, cleaning and lubing up all the gauges went well and they are all working smoothly now.
After all that was done and I was cleaning the main housing that the gauges bolt into, even though I already knew it had a broken section from it, I just couldn't convince myself to assemble everything into it. I've spent a few years making sure this project was as OEM perfect as I could to this point. Even though you wouldn't see this defect when the bike was all together, I just can't leave it this way. I know there are folks out there, (in the UK etc) that have modified the Euro's they have by pulling off the gauge cluster and replaced it all with aftermarket gauges. My hopes and prayers is that somebody reads this that has the main gauge housing I need and is willing to sell it to me. See below for the details and pics.

The Km/h speedo and the tach have already been serviced in this pic and working perfectly. The MPH speedo is being serviced still but is promising to be just as reliable. And yes, I turned the odometer back to 0 after the cleaning/rebuild before I started the test cycles. I think it's at 2.3 miles in this pic. This bike will have 0 miles on it after the full rebuild. So I thought it was fitting to turn it back to the beginning!

OK here's my issue and why I need the help of the world wide community here. As you can see, circled, is a section of the top that has been broken off. Not sure how or why, but it's gone.
I can cut a section from the CX500E housing off and Plistifix it on, but that's NOT OEM!!!

The next problem is that the CX650E and the CX500E main casings do not appear to be the same. The 500 model has no part # molded into it on the back side. The CX650E does, H0-871-01 and the # molded on it can be seen here below.

If you can help me with this part of my restoration to get it to the end, PLEASE PLEASE consider it. I'm open to cost and shipping as long as it is REALLY nice condition and all it needs is a clean up. I don't need all the gauges and components if you'd like to keep them. I just need a perfectly presentable white gauge cluster housing that doesn't need parts of it replaced. BTW, if you don't mind the broken corner from mine, I'm willing to send it to you for free so you can use it.

OK, I'm off my begging podium for now. I hope to get some help sometime soon with this. I'll update the next progress as it comes, which may be soon even if I need to assemble the gauges in the cracked housing. BUT, it will NOT stay that way when it's finally finished.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Larry I have a spare CX650E instrument cluster. I'll trade cluster housings with you if you'd like. I'll post photos if you want. If interested PM me a mailing address.

·
Super Moderator
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
That would be awesome! Yes please on the pictures.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
Thanks Mike. I'm excited to get it and start the swap out process. PM sent. (y)

·
Super Moderator
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
While I'm waiting for the gauge housing to show up in the mail from Mike, I did get the 2 new throttle cables in from CMSNL just as fast as the speedometer cable. After a bit of finagling, I was able to install them without having to pull the carbs off. That was a pleasant surprise! After that I took care of a few details like adding the overflow hoses to the carbs, adding the washers and cotter pins the the foot peg pivots, putting the headlight assembly back on, and a few other details I can't seen to remember right now.
Even though I was reluctant to do so, I decided to pull all the components, screws, nuts and washers from the original gauge assembly so I could clean and re zinc plate all of it just like every other component/ fastener on the bike before the replacement housing showed up. Again, even though you won't see it when it's all together, it's a detail that has to be done IMHO to be a full on restoration.
There were a few other things that needed to be plated also like the rear axle, the clips that hold the wind screen to the fairing, and the tiny screw that holds the knob on the end for the trip meter reset.
I "THINK" this is the last of the parts that need to be re zinc plated, I hope! I'm feeling finally like I'm coming down to the home stretch of the build even though I still need to deal with the brake hoses and the seat cover. I saved those for last so I wasn't tempted to ride it till it was fully completed.

OK, not that it's a big deal, but here are the 2 throttle cables I got from CMSNL. No Honda decals on the bags, but they do appear to be NOS.

This is what I hope to be the last batch of parts that need to be zinc plated. Fingers crossed!

The details of all of these parts will be shown later after the gauge housing shows up and has been cleaned up ready for assembly. The rear axle and nut are self explanatory IMO. I had forgotten to plate those in previous plating sessions.

OK that's all for now. I'll be back when I get the gauges assembled in the new/replacement housing.

161 - 180 of 195 Posts