Honda CX 500 Forum banner

cx650custom no start

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  DaveF 
#1 ·
Hey guys I recently came into a 83 custom 650CX and I had to replace the battery. It ran fine for 3 months until the battery died. I got the new battery in tonight and I have full power I assume but when I hit the start button, nothing happens. No cranking, nothing.

I wonder if anyone has a direction I could start with. I made sure I hooked the battery up the same way it came out. It's only got 24000 on it so I guess it could be something else but I feel like there is something that I might be missing.

Thanks dudes.

#4 ·
It would still crank with the kill switch off.

Are you certain your battery is full power?

Might have to do with the neutral safety switch. Might be the solonoid. Try jumping the starter straight from the battery, see if she cranks.

#8 ·
Read this thread before purchasing that solenoid on ebay. It's not as expensive as the Honda unit but not worth the grief IMO.

I don't think the tests have conclusively shown the solenoid to be defective, anyway. Is voltage getting to the solenoid coil? A few minutes spent with a multimeter is time well spent.

If you have a multimeter we can talk you through the troubleshooting procedure. Alternately, if you prefer to tackle it on your own some electrical troubleshooting tips can be found here. You can download a factory service manual for your bike, including the wiring diagram, from the CX/GL drop.io site.

#10 ·
Read this thread before purchasing that solenoid on ebay. It's not as expensive as the Honda unit but not worth the grief IMO.

Is there a cheaper one on Ebay that,"Can" be used Dave.Like off a GL1000GL/1100?

$70 is a lot for an electrical device that won't even have been made by Honda :/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.