Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Cx650C won’t idle, wants to limit at 5k rpm

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  AuburnCXxxx 
#1 ·
Hello! Before anything else, here is what I have done/what I know. My ignition appears to all be stock except what is mentioned below. I have Murray’s carbs, fitted about 3 weeks before my first start up. I got a new battery from a trustworthy shop. I have resistor (DPR8EA-9) spark plugs, new wires, old boots with brass rods in them. I have a crappy tank that I red-kote treated to get me through until I have the bike running alright, then a new tank that isn’t rusty. Currently the exhaust is just the header pipes, nothing else until I get it running well, then the Murray’s pipes get added on.

I was having issues getting the right cylinder to run at all before brass rods, now it runs most of the time above 2k rpm. With choke my bike doesn’t idle, without it’s nigh impossible to start (all cold start). On a test ride today with choke on the bike seemed to only want to reach 5k and do nothing more. I don’t immediately suspect fuel, as I’ve run a filter between the tank and the splitter for carbs so as not to ruin those masterwork machines. Could my petcock possibly be too small of an outlet? It’s some eBay special that fit my tank. The ID of the outlet is 4mm or slightly more than 1/8 of an inch. Could it be electrical? Could it be how I installed the carbs? Pictures of things to follow.

#8 ·
You might also snip a short piece of the end of the high tension lead then screw on the plug cap. Make sure that you have copper core leads.

#10 ·
UPDATE: new plug boots and trimmed wires made a huge difference. Runs on both cylinders and idles (when the choke/ enrichener is off) lots of backfiring and pops at the moment. I have the quick build exhaust pile on order, and some sportster mufflers on the porch. Will the addition of more than just header pipes help all the popping?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.