Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Has anyone ever tried running a CX650C with a CX650TC primary drive?
There is a 22% difference between the two, 1.725 vs 2.114. This should yield about 1K RPM difference at 5K.

It sounds a lot... but I can't stop imagining my CX cruising at 80mph/5K rpm (instead of 6K). I know there is one particular guy whose opinion I cherish that claims I'm dreaming, and the engine would not have enough torque to pull the bike, and I'll get worse mileage, and kill the engine, and the pistons will come hunting me in afterlife (well, I might have over exaggerated here), but, I wonder if anyone tried it?

And second question - anyone has a CX650T basket & primary gear for sale?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
unless there is something broken in your existing gearbox , it seems like a lot of effort and expense that could be better put into tanks of gas and riding mileage.

But I guess its doable

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
unless there is something broken in your existing gearbox , it seems like a lot of effort and expense that could be better put into tanks of gas and riding mileage.

But I guess its doable
The purpose is not to improve mileage, I doubt that it would. The idea is to enjoy highway cruising at lower RPM, and enjoyment is, priceless.

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have tried telling him that lol

but he is a engineer what can you do

lol
This CX650C pulls like a train at low RPM. I have a feeling it is going to work. And if not, it will be an hour worth of work to put everything back. Well worth the experiment...

I’ll ask TurboTim and Ray Paltek for parts... I’ll also ask local shops if the can fabricate.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
To swap the 650T gear to the 650C you will also have to use the 650 primary cover since the T clutch basket is larger. There may also be issues with the cam carrier as the ends of the cam are different I believe between the C and the T. You would also have to block off the oil outlets for the turbo oiling.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To swap the 650T gear to the 650C you will also have to use the 650 primary cover since the T clutch basket is larger. There may also be issues with the cam carrier as the ends of the cam are different I believe between the C and the T. You would also have to block off the oil outlets for the turbo oiling.
It sounds like I’m better of with fabricating both gears and use the existing basket.

·
Registered
45 Posts
oshoshan, I'm possibly going to have some 650 primary gearsets made in the near future, in ratios similar and even beyond that of a 650T primary. If you are serious about trying it out, message me. We can probably get better pricing with a volume order rather than just 1 set at a time. Good luck finding an actual 650T primary to buy though, there are too few of them out there and nobody is willing to part with them.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if you can fab and harden the gears then do it the easier way and make a ring and pinion gear for the final drive

easier to find a few finals to play with and you dont have to mess with the motor

5 minutes to change them
Are the final drives easy to open and change gears (once fabricated)? I haven’t opened one myself but I saw in this forum that rebuilding them is very difficult?

At a glance, replacing primary gears for the Cx650c seems quick and easy. On the Cx500tc is way more complicated. If so, am I not better off with playing with the primary gears on the Cx650c?

The final drive of the Cx650c does not match the one of the cx500tc (3 vs 4 bolts, shock obsorber rod) so I would need separate sets anyways.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oshoshan, I'm possibly going to have some 650 primary gearsets made in the near future, in ratios similar and even beyond that of a 650T primary. If you are serious about trying it out, message me. We can probably get better pricing with a volume order rather than just 1 set at a time. Good luck finding an actual 650T primary to buy though, there are too few of them out there and nobody is willing to part with them.
I am very interested. The 650T ratio would be a good starting point, I would definitely don’t want to ago any higher (lower rpm) than that. Taking into account Ed’s comments, I would like to stick with the Cx650c clutch basket (though change the gear it rides on). Is that what you had in mind too? Can you elaborate on your requirements and plans?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It looks fairly easy on the CX650C, based on:
https://motofaction.org/motorcycles...rive-gear-crankshaft-cx500-gl500-cx650-gl650/
Am I wrong?

I have replaced the clutch basket before. I assume the primary gear is the same + removal of the front engine cover. Is that a lot of work on the CX650C?

On the Turbo, it seems way more complicated (I need to remove the fairing.. :) and don't want to do that again).

I'll look into final-drive rebuilding.

·
Registered
24,445 Posts
im wondering how you change the gear on the clutch basket ?

not being a smart ass but the gear is made with a plate that is riveted with really HARD rivets

to the basket and peened in place they are allmost impossible to get out

and to drill the you first have to drill the damper cover off and take the dampers out (that would be good you could put

new dampers in and have a quiet clutch)

take one apart

1 - 20 of 31 Posts