Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am an 83 CX650c and the stator has gone bad. I was told to replace it, i need to drop the engine, and i wanted to confirm this. I am pretty mechanical, but i am learning about motorcycles with this (my first bike)

does anyone have any suggestions for replacing the stator on the bike, or know of any forums online that have some fairly detailed instructions?

i do not have the equipement required to properly drop the engine, and the shop is charging alot for the service.

any thoughts you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

-Josh

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hey all,

I am an 83 CX650c and the stator has gone bad. I was told to replace it, i need to drop the engine, and i wanted to confirm this. I am pretty mechanical, but i am learning about motorcycles with this (my first bike)

does anyone have any suggestions for replacing the stator on the bike, or know of any forums online that have some fairly detailed instructions?

i do not have the equipement required to properly drop the engine, and the shop is charging alot for the service.

any thoughts you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

-Josh

Hey Josh, yeah it's engine out. Equipment needed is a few wrenches and a milk crate. Replacement stators run about $200, plus you will need a rear cover gasket and pulsar cover gasket, rear oil seal. Detailed instructions will surely follow.

Fill out your profile, let us know where you are chances are a member lives close by to give you a hand.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
proper equipment to drop the engine?

you mean a socket set and a milk crate?

It really isnt difficult Josh, no fancy kit needed.

look in the quick ref section for tips and tricks

and ask when you get stuck/confused.

many here have done it many times and will guide you through it

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please take a few minutes to edit your profile to show your location and to edit your signature to show your bike's year and model.

If you don't already have a factory service manual be sure to get one. You can download a copy for free from here. It has detailed instructions that should answer most of your questions.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am in Chicago, but last Friday the bike went down, so now I have some other Issues to address first. Any other suggestions and recommendations would be awesome, and if anyone has ever come across a step by step guide please let me know!

Thank you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts