Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have had a couple bikes in the past including my cb750c. Since passing it along to my brother-in-law, I missed street riding. I was lucky that a buddy of mine sold me a cx650c. Now I have a project I can work on and enjoy on the street. To top it all off I came across the CX500Forum! I see that many people journal their builds on a thread and I thought it would be cool to do the same thing myself. I am also hoping that I could get some help and feed-back along the way. I am a complete noob that wants to get his feet wet and learn how to do this stuff. I have made some changes already and I will post some pictures up on another post. It was funny when I saw my bike on this CX500Forum thread talking about the pipes.

My cx650c has been modified to include parts from other Honda models. The following was copied from a RatBikeZone post by one of the previous owners (Big T) - V65 magna front end (4" over) with dual disc brakes, the carbs both have accelerator pumps, 1978 GL1000 rear fender attached to the swingarm, 8" of rear frame removed, hand made seat with ostrich vinal, leather side covers from an english saddle, full sized car battery, Z bars from a 1964 triumph chopper and hand made exhaust with swap meet mufflers. The paint is spray on bed liner.

y620cx.jpg

·
Registered
562 Posts
It has a full size car battery? That seems wrong. It's heavy, and about 3 times more cranking amps than stock. I think that will cause problems in the future, but I could be wrong. Bike looks pretty decent though, def something to build off of. I like the rims on the 650s.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since I had it I have been back to the normal motorcycle battery. Another change was the stock bars on it. In the picture you see z-bars but when I purchased it the stocks were on it. I love the rims. I am thinking about painting them. what do you think? Black or Chrome?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After pulling the CX into the garage...

Here are some shots of the bike before I started making my changes. It was definately stripped from the original photo. Not sure if the previous owner(s) removed the "better" parts before selling it but as you can see things are a little different. No matter.. I will be personalizing for my flavor anyway.

IMAG0149.jpg IMAG0150.jpg IMAG0151.jpg IMAG0152.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I removed the sis bar and rear fender. It looked cool but since the cx was rat, the job of putting it all together was a bit worked. There was too much play in the bolts and since the fender was connected to the swing arm, it came pretty close to the rear wheel. I like the look without it anyway. Looks more agressive with the meat of the tire hanging out the back. I also side mounted the plate and bought new turn signals that were not so bulky. something sleek and LED.

I am picking up tach and sped wires. not sure what originally happened but the sped one does not turn when you twist it with a screw driver and the tach one appears to have the part that pokes out snapped off inside the guage. Does anyone know if I can open up the guage "carefully" to get that out or when I take out the last screw will the damn thing explode in my hands? Not sure if there are compressed springs in there.

I also shortened the length of the exaust pipes. The extenders were pretty beat and there were a crazy amount of shims holding it all together. I took the bad parts out and secured the fittings and now the pipes stop 3 or 4 inches beyond my foot pegs. The sound changed a little but I did not notice any compression issues. Seems to run happy like that if not better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I also put drag bars on it with some not so honda looking mirrors. I was sanding the tank down and rewiring the bike but I threw the tank on so you guys can see "kinda" how it is coming along..

IMAG0375.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
another update. Meshed the sides to hide the internals a bit. I started to prime the whole thing but I am liking the flat black look at the moment so I may leave it primered. I am trying to find a bobber seat. Not too many styles I like. Is anyone looking to sell a seat?

IMAG0054.jpg

I am also thinking about wrapping my own. I found quite the many pans out there like the one below..

seat.JPG

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well after some painting and trying to find a seat I decided to craft my own seat until I get the one I like. I ended up liking the way it looks at the moment so I am not rushing out to change it yet. Still have a handful of items to take care of. I want to get some exhaust wraps for it and deal with those carbs. I also need to change all the fluids... fun!! This was fun and addicting. I have a feeling I may be finding another to mess around with.

IMAG0206.jpg IMAG0210.jpg IMAG0207.jpg

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
It is certainly one of the more interesting looking bikes on here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts