Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased this 650 Custom, knowing the stator was bad. The bike ran well on battery with no stumbles. Last week my son and I completed the quadruple bypass, and after reassembly, the engine ran great at first. It was smooth at idle and did not stumble on acceleration. I rode it for about four miles when suddenly it backfired repeatedly and the engine died. several backfires trying to start it initially, but now it just turns over and over without starting.

There is no spark on the right cylinder. I have changed the spark plugs and swapped the coils. I cleaned the grounding points and confirmed continuity from the spark units to the coil connectors (through the harness). The advance generator leads measure 540 ohms and 530 ohms measured at the external connector.

As I see it, my next step is to check the spark units under the seat ( hard to reach on the custom). After that pulling the engine is the next step, would you agree?

I'd love for someone to check me on this.

David

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
a little more info. Before anyone mentions this thread, I started with one set of new plugs (not NGK) and changed to new NGK plugs.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Agreed on the ATU as being probable.

If you have a timing light you may want to do a quick check prior to moving the engine, though.

What is the battery voltage?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Gonna have to pile on with everyone here. When I did my triple bypass at home, I failed to properly toque the nut on the ATU/MTU down and ended up with really intermittent spark on just one cylinder, then on both.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Battery voltage is 11.56v and when it was running I confirmed 14v @2000rpm, so the new stator was charging. The engine turns well but will not start on either cylinder.

Murray recommended I swap the spark igniters and see if my spark swaps as well, otherwise, the engine is coming back out.

I remember applying locktite and torquing the bolt of the ATU, but I removed it to recheck I had the locating pin registered against the correct notch on the flywheel. It is possible that I forgot to torque it again and it worked loose.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
update: Ben and I removed the engine again and Murray called it right. The ATU bolt was loose inside. She started right up and runs now. We took it out for a spin yesterday. Not bad Father's Day by the way. Thanks to everybody, especially David Wieners and Murray for taking my calls!

David

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.