Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
19,288 Posts

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,666 Posts
Apparently the GL650 weighs 10 Kg more than the GL500]
Murray told me the frame is made of heavier tubing. I would expect some increase in the spring rate.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
It’s a difference of 22 lbs 🤷🏻‍♂️. The 16 extra hp could be a factor too.

·
Super Moderator
19,288 Posts
If you look up the part at one of the online parts places there will usually be a way to view a list of other models it fits.

While a Haynes or Clymer manual is almost a necessity for many bikes the Factory Shop Manuals for the CX/GL500/650 family are so well written and organized that there is no real need for an aftermarket book. I have all 3 but I rarely open any but the FSM.

·
Registered
honda cx 650e 1983
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
thanks bob. but for a fiver it's a start. and local. i can then just check some of the wiring etc.
as i connected a battery to the starter and just got a small click and wiring got hot !!!

·
Super Moderator
6,026 Posts
The factory service manual can be downloaded from the wiki for free. See link in my sig line.

Reactions: D-Fresh

·
Registered
168 Posts
thanks bob. but for a fiver it's a start. and local. i can then just check some of the wiring etc.
as i connected a battery to the starter and just got a small click and wiring got hot !!!
Before sending current to the starter, have you checked that the engine is not seized? At the front, under the radiator there is a plug you can remove. This will give you access to the front crank bolt. Using a 17mm socket and wrench you will be able to turn the crank to see if it spins free. Less chances of breaking something this way than directly trying to turn the engine over with the starter.

·
Registered
honda cx 650e 1983
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
bob i will get the FSM at some point. like you said they cover more and better description
danroy., the engine turns ok. done it wednesday after taking off rear brake caliper. and using the back wheel.
here are some photos of my progress (if that's the right word LOL)
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Fuel tank
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Fuel tank
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire
Hand tool Stonemason's hammer Gas Metalworking hand tool Road surface
Hand tool Stonemason's hammer Gas Metalworking hand tool Road surface

·
Registered
168 Posts
Good, the engine is not seized. But looking at the wiring, I would investigate a bit about what has been done to it before applying current to it! That terminal block and blue something is not confidence inspiring.

You're looking at quite a long list of parts to make this one work. Gas tank, radiator, complete exhaust, wiring, etc.

Look at the carb to head boots (manifolds), they often crack and are not available new. I repaired mine with large shrink tubing .

Is your plan to restore to stock or make a custom cafe racer or scrambler type of build?

Here is the link to download the factory service manuals for the whole family of CX-GL bikes:

·
Super Moderator
19,288 Posts
Downloading the FSM only takes a couple of minutes so why wait until "some point"?

I think removing the terminal block, whatever that blue thing is and any other non original wiring would be the next thing I'd do.

the engine turns ok. done it wednesday after taking off rear brake caliper. and using the back wheel.
There is a cap on the front of the engine (clearly visible in one of your pics) that you can remove with a 17mm wrench to access a bolt that is screwed into the end of the crankshaft and turning that bolt with a wrench is the recommended (& much easier) way to turn the engine manually. That kind of thing is why you should study the FSM before going any farther.

·
Registered
honda cx 650e 1983
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
danroy . as you know this had a rickman fairing, those wires you mentioned were connected to a clock .
if you look at the front of the bike to the right you can just see the red and yellow wire. that blue block is a taped up terminal block !!! with one wire feeding all one side of it a couple of wires just lead to the front of the bike and are taped up at the ends. they are also household wire LOL

·
Super Moderator
19,288 Posts
Mine started life as a CX650E (in even worse shape than yours) but it has been gradually changing into a GL500 over the years. Since I was setting it up to drive in the winter (with sidecar) one of the first things I did was add the Interstate fairing. The GL650 fairing bracket bolted right onto the bike but the front end of the original fuel tank wouldn't fit between it so I changed to the tank from the GL500 I had previously.
The GL500 tank required no modifications but it didn't come close to fitting with the side covers and seat so I used GL500 parts there too. There are pics of what I did in the early part of my Never Ending Build thread (link in my signature), including a few with the GL500 tank & side covers and the CX650E seat before I replaced it with the GL500 seat.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts