Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
honda cx 650e 1983
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello old guy here 68yrs on yrs clock. been into bikes for a long while
had all sorts . favourite was building gsxr's 7-11's. a few chops and hardtails.
also got a one made in ukraine. here are a couple of photos
Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle
Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
honda cx 650e 1983
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thankyou. will be stripping of the front fairing today and hope to turn over the engine somehow.....
its been stood since september 2001. had a good rest lol

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
19,260 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please add your location and your bike's model and model year (NOT year first registered as UK paperwork shows) to your profile so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).
Note that yours is a CX650E. Since the bulk of members of this forum are in the US and American Honda didn't import the E you will find that if you don't include the E most people will think you are referring to a CX650C (a very different machine).

I guess I don't need to welcome you to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). As you know, your "new" bike is almost 4 decades old and may or may not have had all of the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
The FSM also explains how to turn the engine with a wrench on the end of the crankshaft.

I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. I'm sure you know to check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet) but a surprising number of people don't realize that the original rubber brake lines should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes (= 5 or 6 years) too. I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid).
And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).

The best advice anyone can give you about customizing any vehicle is to get it safe & reliable in more or less original condition and use it for a while before you start making any changes so it can tell you what changes it needs to make it do what you want/need better. That approach almost always results in something you actually want to keep and use but making changes based on style or on what someone else (who may or may not really understand how the changes affect the way it works) has done often results in a piece of expensive yard art that you can't stand sitting on for more than a few minutes and might even be dangerous.

BTW, is that a Dnepr (sometimes called Cossack in the UK)?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
I see lots of corrosion on the frame, before investing too much begin by looking at the lower part of the frame near the pegs, swing arm and lower engine mounts for excessive rust, no point in investing time and money at restoring everything if the frame is rusted through. Could be a good part donor though!

·
Registered
honda cx 650e 1983
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
danroy you really know how to cheer people up....lol
i took off the exhaust, rear pegs and rad today and checked the frame all over. it's mainly surface rust.
is the rear mono shock serviceable ? it looks huge

·
Super Moderator
19,260 Posts
There is a section on servicing the shock & linkages in the FSM. This may be useful too

I had an '82 Dnepr in the '90s until I needed parts for the engine, then I had the engine from a '69 R69S installed in it until that engine needed parts (make sure you are sitting down before looking at the price of BMW parts) and bought a GL1000 (for less than the price of the BMW parts) to pull the Dnepr sidecar.
Short version of long story, a few decades later I now have a GL1100 with a slightly modified Dnepr sidecar.

·
Registered
honda cx 650e 1983
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mine is a 1977 came with side car on the right but this country they have to be on the left unless registered
here before 1980. mine wasn't. like to see you gl with sidecar if you got a photo?
was thinking of fitting one to the cx. but the parts for the chassis are not made anymore....

·
Registered
161 Posts
danroy you really know how to cheer people up....lol
i took off the exhaust, rear pegs and rad today and checked the frame all over. it's mainly surface rust.
is the rear mono shock serviceable ? it looks huge
Sorry! From what you told us it looks like you know your way around bikes. But we sometimes see new guys that have about no experience want to build cafe racers out of heaps that would be better off being used as parts bikes. When you add up all the little parts that are either missing or broken it is always better to start with as complete and good condition a bike as possible. But I understand that often we have to work with what we've got, been there, done that! In fact my GL650 started out as a ratty looking, brush painted, unsafe bike and now is running like a champ.

As for the rear shock, you can change the oil in it. AFAIK the seal is not available for the 650 shock. There are more modern replacements available from Hagon and YSS. Or you can do as I and other did and adapt shocks from other bikes. On mine I have a shock from a CBR929RR. It require some fabrication but is doable.

You will most likely need to service the Prolink linkage, from the look of the rest of the bike it will most likely be seized.

You will find a wealth of knowledge here, don't hesitate to ask if you need info. That being said, there is so much info already posted here, most of the time a quick search of the site got me the info I needed without needing to ask anybody.

Good luck with the project and keep us informed, we always like to see projects here!

·
Registered
honda cx 650e 1983
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that's ok pal just having a laugh with you.i saw on utube some guy fitting a modern shock to his 650
and that just bolted on. should have took some details.

·
Registered
161 Posts
that's ok pal just having a laugh with you.i saw on utube some guy fitting a modern shock to his 650
and that just bolted on. should have took some details.
Don't forget that the 500 and 650 have different shock lower attachments. The 500 has an eye on the shock and clevis on the linkage while the 650 has a clevis on the shock and an eye on the linkage... Why Honda did this, I don't know.

On mine I used a linkage from a 500 so that the CBR shock would fit. I also needed to make a small upper adaptor bracket between the shock and upper frame mount.

Look at this:

·
Super Moderator
19,260 Posts

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,658 Posts

·
Registered
honda cx 650e 1983
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
danroy. that looks very good. shame i can't weld now due to having lazer treatment on my eyes. (diabetes) but i have
a good friend who's son is my go to welder LOL. so will see what happens when the time comes.
sidecar bob. those combos look brilliant. very nice indeed. my late father always had combos when we were kids. mostly the big chairs which had a top that tipped to the bike with a small door. mum was on the back soft top roof. the bikes were bsa's or ajs's . once had use of a vincent black shadow as his mate was scared to ride it lol. wish i had some photos....

·
Registered
444 Posts
Shock horror- rust on a UK bike? Naahhh... :giggle: 🤣

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
GL650 heavier than GL500? Nominally. More powerful, yes.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts