Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have been working on a CX650 Turbo race bike for a long time now. At present the motor is standard, but now runs on methanol and uses an Ignetek computer in place of the original. Recently it went on the dyno, and 135+ horsepower at the rear wheel, which is a good start
A while back I was in contact with someone in England who drag raced his Turbo. Does anyone out there know him, and if so. I'd love his contact details
We want more out of the Turbo, it will race in the Open Post Classic class, against the big boys.

I'm looking at two things, information about how to make it stronger and more durable, and bright ideas about more horsepower

I've owned a dozen CX Turbos, have been obsessed with them for 30 years. No complete Turbo died in the making of the race bike, I ended up with a couple of Technical School motors, just as they were dropped onto the floor way back then. They had delivery mileage on them, 70 or 80 miles only

Do far as the chassis, 39mm forks, bigger cast iron rotors, braced swingarm, Astralite rims laced up to the Comstars, different rear shock, and the end game is to make it look like a mini CB1100R, using a CBX500 fairing.

Happy for any help, I appreciate some purists will cringe, but hopefully will put to bed the lie that CX bikes are for pussies

I run Anaconda in New Zealand, I sell new and used Honda motorcycle spares

Cheers

Malcolm

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
That should be "Turbo Tim" or Tim Boutle. You can find him on youtube and linkedin

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
You can find Tim on Facebook under both Tim Boutle and Turbo Tim.
For really high performance stuff, find JimL's stuff on building a 160mph naturally aspirated bike. You can also search for some of my build stuff too, I do land speed racing on a turbo 650. Last look at Lucas Anderson's CX500 that they have converted to a turbo and run on methanol, it is a bad a** bike for sure. Welcome to the club. As they said above, please share details on your build.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

You can use the search function for project salt racer for more stuff

·
Registered
CX500 Turbo, Suzuki GT750 fuel injected triple special, Triumph Tiger 1200, Beta 300RR
135 Posts
Malcolm

Sound like a great project, having recently raced prepped an old GT750 2 stroke triple to the TR race engine spec but with modern fuel injection, ECU and a totally new chassis and having just rebuilt my first CX50 turbo, I am fascinated by the turbo and want to make a modern version with updated ECU/turbo control to see what I can squeeze out of it.

I am writing this because it sounds like you may be able to help......I am trying to find a 650 turbo motor or the majority of the parts. I want to use a different chassis but getting a motor is a challenge.

Sounds like you are pretty good at ECU stuff which I spent a lot of time developing with a Speeduino but if I can help then shout.

Cheers

Kev

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Malcolm

Sound like a great project, having recently raced prepped an old GT750 2 stroke triple to the TR race engine spec but with modern fuel injection, ECU and a totally new chassis and having just rebuilt my first CX50 turbo, I am fascinated by the turbo and want to make a modern version with updated ECU/turbo control to see what I can squeeze out of it.

I am writing this because it sounds like you may be able to help......I am trying to find a 650 turbo motor or the majority of the parts. I want to use a different chassis but getting a motor is a challenge.

Sounds like you are pretty good at ECU stuff which I spent a lot of time developing with a Speeduino but if I can help then shout.

Cheers

Kev
Kev

I can't take any credit for the ECU work, I found the two people in New Zealand who are the best at what they do, and luckily they can work in conjunction
It went onto methanol and got the new ECU all at the same time

To all of you out there looking for more from me, i will get there, just that I am very tired after a stroke a year ago. This is the project I want to see to fruition
before I go (all being well I'll here here for a while yet) ...bu, you gotta set some goals and have priorities

Cheers

Malcolm

·
Registered
CX500 Turbo, Suzuki GT750 fuel injected triple special, Triumph Tiger 1200, Beta 300RR
135 Posts
I’m sure you will get there mate.

did you see my question about 650 bits? Any ideas where I can get anything?

Take it easy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts