Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

So another new member here. Have had and loved a very tempermental CX650 Custom for about 5 years. Loved the discussions I've seen and many of the threads I've read have led me to diagnose my problem.

Charging issues have been persistent for the last few months and now it seems to charge very little while running, if at all. After testing the 3 yellow leads coming from the stator I found continuity between each of the three leads and ground. Seems like a bad stator. I've had loads of experience with the carbs and top-half of the motor, but have never had the engine out before and am wondering how many hours I am likely looking at. Also, assuming I have diagnosed correctly:

1. How much is a new stator and where can I get one?

2. Is the CX650 stator interchangable with the CX500's?

3. |Is anyone here selling a stator off of a well taken care of bike?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Nate

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Nate. Please take a few minutes to edit your profile to show your location and to edit your signature to show your bike's year and model.

If the three yellow wires have continuity to ground the stator is definitely bad. More info here.

Why not have your stator rewound or obtain one that has been rewound by a competent vendor? They will be just as reliable, if not more, than a new one. Several sources are listed here.

Your bike has a TI ignition and accordingly, a TI stator. CX500's earlier than 1982 have CDI ignitions and the stator is not compatible. The 1982 CX500 is the only year model with a compatible stator. The GL500 and GL650 stators also compatible.

If your time is worth anything I do not recommend installing a used stator unless it has been recently rewound.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Nate. Dave is correct on new stators being the safest bet. You never know what you are getting with a used one. I have put a used one in one of my bikes with no problems yet, but it was a freebie and a CDI model bike. Those stators run about $215, and I make my own gaskets, so I took the risk. GL and your CX650 use a less expensive model stator.

Even tho you said that you are getting continuity to ground on your yellows, make sure you are checking the correct connector. The one from the stator, not the RR. Or just put a voltmeter on the battery terminals while it is running and check the voltage. If you are showing 14.5 volts, or higher at 3000 RPM, you probably don't have a charging issue.

Time frame for a inexperienced wrencher to drop the engine, remove the rear cover, replace the stator, button it back up and reinstall the engine will probably be 8-10 hours. Second time will cut at least a third off that number. You want to be prepared for renewing the water pump seal and maybe the cam chain when you get her apart. No sense not doing these if necessary while you can.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi Stratton, consider having your stator rewound by a high quality vender. Some of the new stator replacements have a bad name, not OEM quality or plug and play. Turnaround time and cost at Ricks

Motosports Electrics is excellent.

You'll be needing some engine and (likely) , exhaust gaskets, when you drop the engine, these will need to be replaced; coolant too.

Many have formulated detailed lists,- see search results (in engine out procedures). Engine weighs =/- @ 150 lbs., if my memory serves me correctly. Can be done alone, - but best to have a buddy nearby to steady the frame/bike during removal.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I would recommend Custom Rewind in Birmingham, Alabama. Total time from Pennsylvania was around 10 days. That was shipping my old stator and receiving the rewound one. You're probably looking a around $100 +/- for a rewound stator from them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great everybody.

Thanks a lot. It's good to know exactly what I'm getting into before embarking. Battery voltage peaks at 12.47 volts at 3000rpm and slowly drops to around 11 at idle. DaveF, after reading the "horror story" link you gave I am definitely leaning towards having it rewound. Only problem is a lack of working space and a 10 day turnaround. With a one car garage and 3 motorcycles I can't have the engine out of frame for too long. Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts