Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share the info that the CX650C starter button assembly on the right side of the handlebar is the same unit as the Honda VF750.

My start motor was firing as soon as I turned on the ignition and didn't stop.

Turned out a short had developed in the starter microswitch inside the starter assembly.

Ebay has a good supply of the VF750 starter assemblies and the 9 pin wiring switch is identical so it's just plug and play.

A tip I picked up is to avoid having to disturb the throttle cables you can remove the clutch lever assembly, remove the handlebars holder and slide the handlebars to the left - your throttle assembly will just slip off the right end of the handlebar with the cables attached and undisturbed. You can used the original bottom part of the unit so no need to touch cables.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
16,628 Posts
A bit of contact cleaner and an old toothbrush would probably have fixed that.

BTW: Honda used the same switches on the GL500 as they used on a lot of other models with minor differences like cable length to suit handlebar height so it isn't surprising that the VFR750 and CX650E switches (& probably a few others too) are the same.
Note to anyone who sees this and thinks "that should work for my CX500": It won't because the kill switch on TI models is different.
But it might work on a GL500 or GL650...

·
Registered
1981 CX500D, 1976 RD400C, 1972 H2 750
23 Posts
Spray some wd40 in to switch housing occasionally works ! Drain float bowls occasionally to remove silt from carb bowls.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
16,628 Posts
Never, ever use WD40 to clean contacts. When the carrier evaporates it leaves a sticky residue that attracts dirt and before long it will be worse than it was before you sprayed them. The ONLY thing you should use on contacts is electrical contact cleaner. The same goes for using it in lock mechanisms (the best thing for locks is dry graphite powder).
WD40 is a Water Displacer (40th formula tried) and is very good for that but for all of the other things people try to do with it there is always a product specifically formulated for it that works much, much better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts