Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for the RPM's a 650 turns at 70 MPH. Anybody know?

I love my 500 but at 70 it's turning 6500rpm and gets a little buzzy for my old man hands. lol

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts

I love my 500 but at 70 it's turning 6500rpm and gets a little buzzy for my old man hands. lol

Corey is looking at putting together a 650 clutch conversion. That should knock you down to 6,000 rpms 71-73mph.

That's about all I can say since I haven't rode my 650 in over a month and haven't even started it since I got it home last weekend.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Haven't had mine to 70 yet but at 60 it's running around 4250.

L

·
Registered
309 Posts

I use a 120/90-18 on my 650 Eurospurts (slightly higher profile than the recommended 120/80) and that equates to 5000rpm at 70mph. About 14mph per 1000rpm.

The 650E`s are the lowest revving normally aspirated CX model.

In the US (i assume you`re in the US) you don`t have the E model, only the Custom and GL, so with their smaller diameter rear wheels they`d be revving slightly higher.

The GL650 would be doing approx 300rpm more at the same speed due to the smaller circumference of the rear wheel/tyre, don`t know about the Custom as i don`t know what size tyre (tire) they`ve got, but i`d expect similar to the GL.

Also, the 650`s might not be the answer you would expect to your vibey hands because the larger engine is not quite as smooth as the little `un.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

Like Blindstitch said, I'm putting a conversion together, have to part my 650 out because the oil pickup was clogged when i put the bike together, got 5 miles and the engine started knocking and stalled out, and I'm planning on moving out of state before long, and can't bring the 650 with very easily. You can take the 650 clutch with various other parts and that lowers your RPM's, I haven't done it before, but Stitch is running one on his 500. You can also put the 78's rims on a 500, it has an 18" rear rim rather than just a 16" like the rest have, the rims look different so you'd want to do both, once I get an 18" tire I'm putting that on my bike, that will also lower your rpms, don't know how much, but it'll help some at least, if you do the clutch conversion and the rear wheel you should lower it considerably. I'm not too familiar with riding the 650's, only have about 5 miles on one, but I've been on my CX500 for 2 years now and put about 30k miles on it last year, and no clue this year, no speedometer, I use the tach and just add 5 mph to what the tach says in 5th gear.

Anyway, if you're interested in the clutch conversion, make an offer, I don't remember off hand what all goes with it, Stitch sent me a message earlier today, so I can make the list and let you know

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shhhhh, dont let my wife hear that the 500 can be geared for lower rpm's. LOL

Just kidding!

I'm thinking more of adding a bike to the stable, and it sounds like Larry S bike runs about 1200 rpm's lower than a 500 @ 60. So the 650 maybe a good choice.

Thanks guys!

Any other good points on a 83 650C Vs 81 500C ?

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Shhhhh, dont let my wife hear that the 500 can be geared for lower rpm's. LOL

Just kidding!

I'm thinking more of adding a bike to the stable, and it sounds like Larry S bike runs about 1200 rpm's lower than a 500 @ 60. So the 650 maybe a good choice.

Thanks guys!

Any other good points on a 83 650C Vs 81 500C ?

You better sit on one first. They're pretty different. Seating position seems a bit odd. Perfect for a short person because they sit lower than the 500. But beware as I'm learning some parts are a pain to find. But it's all doable with money. But if you can I would sit on one. It was a big change for me and I haven't even rode mine over a mile.

If you do get a chance for a test drive you will be laughing your head off. It's a totally different bike when tuned right.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
If you get a GL650 then parts are easy to find at the moment, because I have an entire bike being parted out, but yes, the 650's are hard to find parts for, took me quite a while to gather MOST of what I needed to put my GL650 together for the 5 mile motor blowing ride.... But I learned a valuable lesson, the 650 has an oil pan, you should drop it and clean the oil pickup and the oil pan before taking it out on the road, although I'm guessing the engine had some harm done to it before my little ride... Although Snow4brains, if you want to make a few hour ride, you can sit on a GL650 at least, can't let you ride it for obvious reasons, although you could push it around and make engine sounds.......

For the 5 miles I put on the GL, I was AMAZED with the power, you gotta be careful on those, put it sideways pulling out of the gas station riding like it's my 500 lol, so don't ride it like you do the 500 when you're riding hard, unless you are ready for it, and know what it'll do. I was expecting it to be more powerful, but not THAT powerful, surprised me a lot, considering I just rode a 1200 sportster that didn't have NEARLY that much go

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Man, the power sounds great, but I already feel cramped on the 500. I better try one on before going any further.

Thanks!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Seating triangle - it is not that hard to cut or build up a seat to adjust the seating position. Handlebar swaps can also make a huge difference in comfort. You are stuck with the pegs unless you are willing to go to a fair amount of effort & money.

Power - the 650 only has 65hp at the crank. If you are kicking the rear end out, it is far more a question of dirt, oil, slippery road surface and hard tires than a question of too much power.

The CX/GL's are cool vintage bikes, but if you are looking for power, there are lots of better choices out there.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.