Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Just got a nice CX650 that runs great and now looks great. I picked it up as a rolling frame and engine, with a box of bolts and other parts. It was fun to figure out how it went together and even funner to start it up. There is a loud ticking sound coming from the engine while its running though. Is that normal? I haven't checked the valves yet. Also, the PO did say the gauges were broken but I was hoping it was just the cables. After fixing the speedo cable and making sure both cables spin, I plugged both gauges in and went for a ride. Neither needle moved at all. So I searched the only junk yard with motorcycles here and there was one set off a '78 CX500. Will those work? I know I will have to fab up a mount but if the ratio is the same I can make them fit. How do I know what the ratio is on my bike? What other gauges will work? Any insight would be awesome. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
the gauges should be fine. The ratio is the same for all CX/GL models.

·
Registered
851 Posts
The gauges will be fine although you may need a 7v regulator for the temp gauge.
I'd be more concerned about the loud ticking from the engine, if you have set the valve adjustment gap and the noise is still there, I would drop the oil and filter it to check for any metal filings which may be a sign that it needs a new cam chain before those filings trash your engine.
There is no chain adjustment on the 650 it has an auto tensioner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm actually thinking about getting an acewell MD52-353, instead of putting stock gauges back on. I'm not quite sure the size of temp sensor to get though. And for the ticking, I have set the valves so those are fine. I'll do an oil change and check for shavings. I have watched a few videos of running cx's and I heard the ticking there too. But mine seems louder than theirs. I'll get a video of the sound up here soon. Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally I was able to get around to working on the CX again. I just changed the oil, no metal shavings or filings at all. It was surprisingly clean, actually. I got a video of the noise. Maybe this will help.

·
Registered
312 Posts
My guess is that the timing chain is too stretched, with no remaining adjustment available to get rid of the slack. That clank youre hearing is the chain rattling around because it's loose..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts