Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, not sure if I made a correct title of this thread, and for the questions.
Ok, like this:
My CX650, originally I did not notice any differences between two cylinders. Because the original H-section connecting two mufflers from two cylinders, so I could not know any abnormal signal between two of them.
Now, after modification, the H-section has been removed - two cylinders connect to two separated mufflers. I have sent to the shop for vacuum calibration of the engine, adjust air-intakes, clean both spark plugs... Now I can notice the differences:
- Different sound from two mufflers. The right one sound much better than the left one. Louder sound, and higher air pressure pushed from the muffler.
- The muffler header (near the cylinder) of the right cylinder is much hotter than the left one. I can't touch my hand to the right one, but I can touch my fingers to the left one for a while.
I still see the same issue when I exchange the spark plugs to each others.

So, the questions:
+ Is there any definition of 1st and 2nd cylinder so they act differently?
+ Is there anything else contributes to the differences of two cylinder others than spark plugs, air-intake, fuel-intake??
+ Anything to do with the H-section to make two cylinders act the same?

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Murrayf.
Well, so that's definitely no such thing as the prime / slave cylinder.
Both carb are pretty clean. All intakes looked fine.
I haven't compared the firing of each cylinder yet. Will do tomorrow to see the spark from both sides.
Hopefully nothing to do with the coil as it 's too much for me about the electrical things.

Besides, any recommendation for the H-section? Do I need to put the cross pipe in to connect two mufflers?

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
If you are going to use a cross pipe, then you want to put the H-Box back in, otherwise dont bother. As Murrayf indicated, you will need to rejet the carbs, which will give you a chance to strip them and clean them out properly (recommend Larry's book to get a proper cleaning). Problem sounds like a carb issue, probably an a vacuum leak making one run lean (can you post plug pictures). Aside from that you could do a compression and leak down test to give an indication of the conditions in each cylinder.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pulled two spark coils one after the other, and clearly noticed the spark from the left one is less than the right one. Don't know why.
And a strange thing just came late today: after I washed the bike, both cylinders run like hell. Both are strong and sounds the same, hot the same.
What should I think of to make this issue not occurring again?

·
Registered
24,169 Posts
i would check the connectors in particular the pulser connector from the engine to the harness make sure it is clean and put a small zip tir on it to hold it tight

they can work lose and you will have weak ignition to one cylinder or have it cut in and out

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i would check the connectors in particular the pulser connector from the engine to the harness make sure it is clean and put a small zip tir on it to hold it tight

they can work lose and you will have weak ignition to one cylinder or have it cut in and out
Thanks Murrayf. I gotta wait until next weekend to do all those.
Another problem just came up: Found a leak at the Oil pressure switch. Don't know how to open it to check or fix.

·
Registered
24,169 Posts
if it is leaking thru the red cover of the switch itself the seal inside the switch is bad and you will have to replace it no choice they cannot be serviced

good news is they are about all the same on all hondas so easy to get one

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, seem to be from the red one.
Will the oil pour out when I remove the switch? Anything to consider when opening it out?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts