Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys been lurking for a couple months since I bought my GL500 but this is my first post. I am slowly in the process of turning it into a bobber over this winter and have gotten to the point where I have everything I need but a set of Murray's carbs. A couple more weeks of saving and I should be able to order.
Anyways I was reading here about the power gains from swapping in a 650 engine and a set of Murray's carbs and decided to look on ebay. Within a minute or 2 I had found one for pretty cheap and decided to send this guy a low offer just to see what he would counter with and if I could afford it. He ended up biting on the low offer and now I have a 1983 CX650 engine waiting for me in Georgia... I got it for cheap enough that shipping it here won't even be a problem but I will have to wait on my carbs even longer.
So What I want to know is is this swap worth while or is it just going to be a headache? I think it would be a cool upgrade but I don't really want to add another couple months to this project, I want it done so I can go ride!
What do you guys think? I have the engine and it runs but thats it, am I going to be hunting down a ton of more parts or will it not be that difficult/expensive? I have a fully equipped garage and am mechanically inclined so the work doesn't scare me (actually I love it) I just don't want to be spending time hunting down parts when I could be enjoying the bike.

·
Super Moderator
15,409 Posts
I don't know a ton about the cx650 engine but I believe you have to remove the rear cover and change the output shaft to make it compatible to install in your bike. David in Wisconsin would know more. I think you also need a different front engine hanger.

As for the power change the 650 is a nice ride over the 500. I bought a 650 three years ago and haven't ridden my cx500 since.

·
Registered
24,468 Posts
You will need gl 650 front engine hangers

You will need to swap output shafts and probably do a quad bypass while in there and a set of clutch springs
My carbs will solve the intake problem of carbs

The only wiring you will need to do is the cooling fan
The 500 exhaust will need modifying to fit the 650

·
Registered
24,468 Posts
yes i thought that was the one but didnt want to say anything

i passed on buying it

if you want contact me i may be able to get it brought here and look at it for you before it is shipped to you

and i have the mounts you will need

1 - 6 of 6 Posts