Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay ladies and gentlemen of great wisdom and knowledge, I have a question for you! Today on a ride my right fork seal decided that it was no longer going to play by the rules and let a lot of fork juice get out. I'm getting ready to order new seals etc. and I wanted to ask about making it better!

I know that the CX500's benefit from some spring spacers and ATF fluid but what about CX650? Should I just put it back together stock? Should I put spacers in it? Should I get better springs? How about the fluid, do I use ATF or fork oil?

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
If the damping was half decent I wouldn't bother with the spacers but i would NOT use ATF, get some 15W or 20W fork oil.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
After working on my forks and trying spacers and 20 wt Belray (which I liked) with my stock springs, I sprung for Progressive Fork Springs, and I am glad I did. Better than stock, stock with spacers, etc. I was running the Progressives and 20 wt Belray but switched back to Dexron ATF. Damping was a bit harsh with the 20 wt for me, smoother ride with the ATF for my ride to work and back (bumpy roads). Handling tho was a bit more sure footed with the 20 wt. Perhaps I will try 15 wt fork oil for a compromise.

BTW the spacers (pre load) affect ride height mostly, while the oil weight affects damping and ride quality. Oil level also affects ride quality. I am using no spacers and no added air pressure with the Progressive springs, and I have increased my oil volume a bit above stock to decrease the volume of air above the fork oil. I am still tweaking the forks but I have them just about where I want them. I also changed the oil in my rear monoshock, which really helped the ride quality quite a bit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts