Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who has done the CX650 clutch mod to your CX500 please chime in.

How much (if any) did it help your fuel economy?

I understand it drops your RPM by 300-400 or so.

I am not sure how that impacts your MPG. Most of my riding is in a small area (about 5 mile trips to work).

I only occasionally (every two weeks or month) get out for a longer ride. I am although enamored with the idea of better fuel economy.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
15,409 Posts
You probably won't notice much at all. The one thing I like is that say you would be cruising along at 60mph for a long ride and you know how when you start to go faster gas mileage drops off like a rock. I believe I get the same gas mileage up in the 70's.

But the Clutch is to die for. Locks up like a vice. It's also takes twice the power to pull it back.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You probably won't notice much at all. The one thing I like is that say you would be cruising along at 60mph for a long ride and you know how when you start to go faster gas mileage drops off like a rock. I believe I get the same gas mileage up in the 70's.

But the Clutch is to die for. Locks up like a vice. It's also takes twice the power to pull it back.

Thanks Stitch!

I like the idea of that strong of a clutch.

I will keep looking for a parts bike so I can do this eventually.

What kinds of things would you do to improve MPG?

·
Super Moderator
15,409 Posts
Thanks Stitch!

I like the idea of that strong of a clutch.

I will keep looking for a parts bike so I can do this eventually.

What kinds of things would you do to improve MPG?

Some say windshields help at the right angle, lose weight, lose weight on the bike, aerodynamics related stuff. I have a windshield and big saddlebags along with a trailer hitch so I might be hurting things a bit.

Syncing the carbs and making sure the bike is tuned up right would be the biggest part.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts