Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might be able to get a CX650T with electronic problems. Bike already "ate" or "victualed" the original ECU and a second one.
ECUs fires up the red ignition light permanetly and engine won't start. Any ideas to solve the problem permanently?
One idea mentioned to me was to replace the wiring harness before putting the third ECU in - sounds to be great idea to me.
Someone selling a good main harness, a sub harness and a ECU?

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
You are going to want to talk to either Pete (CXTURBOBOOST) or Greg Goss.
I don't know about the ECU (those are also as rare as rocking horse poop), but they may have the harnesses.
If Pete doesn't have anything, PM me, I can give you Greg's phone number (he's really not very good at answering e-mails).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Tim - besides: you want me to have a sleepless night in germany - very very rare the ECUs - even more rare than rocking horse shit :(:D
waiting for a wonder and already started a theme in buy and sell

·
Registered
808 Posts
Did the bike run at all with the new ECU? If not and the symptoms are identical with the new ECU, then both of the ECUs are probably fine and it's a wiring issue.
Are there any codes displayed? Fuel pump cycle? Single spark @ plugs when ignition is turned on? Spark while cranking?

My original ECU failed leaving the bike dead and a fault code for a pressure switch. I had a little bit of corrosion on the circuit boards where it looked like water got in past the ECU case seals. Don't think that's the cause though...one of these days I'll replace the all the capacitors and see if that brings it back to life.

Overall I think they're bulletproof but I do keep a spare for each bike.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
You have to wonder what is frying the ECU's. They are way too expensive to just keep trying things one at a time to see what is failing. Did the owner change anything on the wiring? I wonder how the electrics are doing, is it getting too much voltage? You might want to contact Pim in the Netherlands, he is one of the most knowledgeable in this area.

·
Registered
701 Posts
ECUs fires up the red ignition light permanetly and engine won't start.
Which is the fault code ( blinking leds on side of ECU ) ?

Could easily be that the RPM pickup elements are broken ( common cause ), if so the bike will not start at all

You could send the "broken" ecu's to me and I can run them on my "black box dummy"

Pim

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot folks for your fast replies - momentarely i am still in the race to get the CX650T.
I mailed a few times with the first owner and seller. I don't know everthing about the problem why the bike destroyed both ECUs.
With the spare ECU (a good one) the bike fired up and everthing seemed to be fine but only a few days.
I couldn't ask the seller if any of the warning lights on the ECU are on. He owns the shop manual and tried to figure out the problem. He told me he went along page 24-5 in the shop manual to test the fuel system warning bulb (this light is always on but bike won't start). Seller told me metering is fin with final advice to try it with a good or new ECU.
@ Pim: if i get the bike i'll get in contact with you to have the ECU testet, thank you :)

·
Registered
592 Posts
My suggestion would be to take one step at a time... First - Purchase the bike at a price reflective of its current mechanical condition. Second- Diagnose the current symptoms. Third - If the symptoms seem consistent with the sellers story, diagnose what might be causing ECU failure (Grounds - /power + ).

Many times I've been asked to work on bikes and the true issue is NOT what the owner has stated. Trust, but verify is my motto....

I have numerous 650T wiring harnesses if they are needed. However, I would first try very hard to diagnose/repair the wiring harness on the bike if it is truly the component causing the failure?

I only have seen one 650T ECU that is defective. I have it still. I've never personally seen a 500T defective ECU.

Pete

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks a lot Pete :)
your suggestions are very helpful - i'll wait if i can sell the bike - if yes i'll pick it up and do the neccesary diagnosis -let's see what happens - may be i can't offer enough euros to the seller :(

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Turbomapf, don't get romantic about buying this bike. It is rare, but the owner is trying to sell a bike that doesn't run and is pretty hard for anyone to diagnose. You did not tell the mileage or describe the bike's condition, but a non running 650T with electrical problems would be very hard to sell for over $2,000 in the US. If it had high miles, or a rough body, then the price would be even lower. Do not overpay for this. Do not even think about buying this to part out, there just isn't enough of a market there to justify it. An old bike will probably need brake work, a battery, tires, and possibly a stator. Plan on spending a $1000 for just basics after you buy it and don't be surprised if it is not a lot more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts