Honda CX 500 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I don't think you can braze that!
That part gets super hot and could crack again if you just braze it.
What Phillip said; take it to a welder and get him to tig or ark weld it.

Man, that's a lot of water!
Does anyone know what material the manifold is made from? I like to try/learn things myself before sending it to the shops, I have a decent inverter arc welder but isn’t sure what material the manifold is made from, seeing that the brazing was a flop I just need to confirm the material then I can get the right rod for the job, if I don’t come right then it will be off to the shops

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Hi Phillip
Things are looking up for you by the looks of the pictures
Bracing is a fine Art and its all most like Gas welding.Recommitting that you take it to a welding shop and have them look at it
Also the manifold need's to be bolted in place for the repair to be done right
Not sure how things work in your part of the World when it come to welding shops.Here in Canada we have lots of shops that specialize in this kind of work

Looking at your Ignition Switch its in bad shape
I just received a aftermarket Ignition switch Brand is EMGO aftermarket bike parts.The switch looks close and has the long harness on it
And the mounting is correct with the steering lock .Only one thing missing is the Park light option (I have never parked my bike with parking lights on )
The Part number is EMGO 40-15840 can be found on Amazon,com look up the part number

For the Speed sensors
I"m waiting for 4 sensors to be delivered this coming week
Yes the part number is Like Johnste confirmed LX 579
I my self had to ask the question on here .Thanks for the info and confirmation
I ordered min from E bay and they came from POWER PRO AUTO PART'S they sell on E bay and they where like $13.00 US a pic
powerproautoparts on eBay

For the Engine project it's a tough thing to see on pictures what is good and whats bad
For my self I build a lot of New Engines and Hi Performance engines .We are in to drag racing and we do all our assembles of the Engines in House except the machining of the cylinder block and cylinder heads.I have all the tooling to measure the bore and pistons.
The only reason we don't do it .The cost to of the equipment is to big and we have lots of good machine shops here in town
Edmonton Alberta Canada has about 25 to 30 machine shop's

If I could recommend one little thing that will save you a lot of problems
Take the block to a machine shop to have the bores checked the proper way
Any machine shop can and will have the tooling to measure the bore and give a proper measurement
Time and effort well spend and cost saving in the long run

TLD
I managed to locate a decent ignition in good condition but unfortunately without a key, so I’ll take it to a locksmith and see if they can fabricate a key for me, there is a code stamped on the ignition so i’m hoping that is a ‘key code’, but I can be wrong.

As for the sensors, I located a guy about 10km from me with a auto electric parts store, he said he’s pretty sure he’ll be able to help me, so I will be going to him this Friday after work.

And yes the sleeves🙈I didn’t take it to a shop for measurement, I gave it a slight hone seeing that it was honed before, I managed to track down the original owner of the bike who owned it for 8 years, he said he never had any issues with the bike apart from the piston skirt breaking, he struggled to get new pistons and thats why he parted with it. He assured me the sleeve was not damaged at all. So at the moment i’m taking there word for it

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Just got my fairings back today, new decals isn’t 100% true but I think they look just perfect. Also finally got my new valve stem seals.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
544 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Looking good, where did u source paint and what paint code was used? Where did end up sourcing decals?
So the paint code I used was NH113 PA- Pearl Altair White. I had it mixed by a local paint shop, it ended up being a bit light so took it back to give it a bit more of a cream colour, it is still slightly light but looks perfect for me. With the decals, a friend made the designs for me and then send it to a sticker shop for printing and application. So far the local shops hear did not disappoint

·
Registered
743 Posts
With the decals, a friend made the designs for me and then send it to a sticker shop for printing and application.
Are you willing to share those design files your friend made for the decals ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Are you willing to share those design files your friend made for the decals ?
Yes I am👍Please find attached.

Its not all the decals, it’s only the ones that I needed on my bike, like the side cover designs is not there

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
Keep us updated, This is a very entertaining thread. Good work and progress. You are putting me to shame.

Reactions: Phillip

·
Registered
362 Posts
Does anyone know what material the manifold is made from?
I`m not a Turbo guy, but i`m sure i remember a Turbo afficianado once say they were made of titanium, and have the bellows shape to allow for expansion.
If they are titanium, it`s no wonder your brazing failed..

·
Registered
743 Posts
I`m not a Turbo guy, but i`m sure i remember a Turbo afficianado once say they were made of titanium, and have the bellows shape to allow for expansion.
I think he would have said : unobtanium ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
If they are titanium, it`s no wonder your brazing failed..
Can anyone second that it’s made from titanium? and is the flange also titanuim?Has anyone here ever put normal flexi pipe instead of the ballows?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Ok so I made some very good progress these last few weeks, welded in straight pipes on the exhaust until I can get a custom one made which will allow for expansion, I installed the motor in the frame, wired it up, put fluids, and after a few tries got the bike running🥳It sounds amazing!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Congratulations!!!! This thread is so interesting. The only thing is I am doing the same sort of project and you are putting me to shame. However, your progress is very inspiring to me, LOL. The bike sure does sound nice running in the video. Must feel great to get to this point.

Reactions: Phillip

·
Registered
544 Posts
Not sure if I missed it, but what did you end up doing to address the Turbo!!!! did you put in a rebuild kit?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Thanx John yes it does feel amazing, I had some trouble sleeping because i’m exited to go for a decent ride today😁.

Regarding the turbo, I managed to track down another turbo, but after stripping it down it almost looked worst than mine, but at least the heat shield was still in good condition. So I clean mine up real good, especially the shaft because the ‘flinger’ part on the turboshaft was carboned up, after alot of scraping with a blade I managed to get all the carbon out and the groove looked brand new. I assembled everything back together and rechecked the clearance with some oil added, they looked perfect. Took a quick ride around the block last night and she is going into boost no problems😁

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Ok so had a nice long ride today, sounds amazing. There is a few odds and ends I still need to sort out.
-Temp and fuel gauge not working
-Indicators don’t flicker, they stay solid
-Small oil leak on both tappet covers from smaller inside gasket
-Very slight misfire now and then in lower rpm when cruising
-Some cosmetic touch ups
-Thinking of making a custom stainless steel straight pipe exhaust

So i’ve read on here the gauges has to do with a faulty 7v regulator, does anyone here have a circuit diagram for it? from what I understand it’s easy to make

41 - 60 of 80 Posts