Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
As far as being intimidating, I always find it easier if I do the disassembly, allows me to take notes and pictures,
. That being said,

1) get a manual if u do not have one, they r quite good. Downloadable from this site or wiki
2) the book:
How to restore Honda CX500 & CX650 –YOUR step-by-step colour illustrated guide to complete restoration
By Ricky Burns

is good. While not specific to the turbo, there r similarities. The book is detailed and shows colored photos.

3). Check out youtube. Search for cx500 engine rebuild
Ok so i’m waiting on my set of pistons to arrive. Another thing I saw after going through the parts yesterday, is my speed sensor looks in a rough condition besides from being very dirty, the small plastic housings is cracked and over it doesn’t look good, is there a way to test the speed sensor before trying to source a new one? View attachment 204653
The sensors can be replaced with new ones and you should be able 2 rclean up the bracket and other parts, this is documented on the forum. Search for “LX579” and you should find information on how to do this, as you rebuild the bike, you will be putting in a new mechanical seal. That will prevent coolant from leaking into the compartment and causing this. You can test the sensors by doing a resistance check. In any event, it is recommend to replace them. The sensors are not that expensive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanx for the info Johnste, yes I am definitely going to replace the mechanical seal. I will go and check if I can source the ‘lx579’ replacement as well as the pb sensor which I read is replaced by a Suzuki sensor as the best match

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So my pistons arrived today, can’t wait to get home and have a look at them. I was wondering if anyone here ever had a go on rebuilding the turbo themselves? I’ve only seen post where they send it in for recon? Is it difficult to source seals for these turbo’s?

·
Registered
496 Posts
21 - 24 of 24 Posts