Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

New to the site. Been a Honda man since I was 16. Been buying and selling Honda's for 7 years now.

I mostly refurbish...not to much restore. Favorite bikes are the 1st Gen VF Interceptors and the classic

CB500-750's.

My question is this..I have a chance to buy a CX500T with a blown motor and I was thinking, would a

CX500 standard motor fit in the frame?

I know it will need everything else to accompany the motor. Harness, exhaust, carbs, etc.

I desire the look and ride (suspension) of the CXT but don't have the funds (unemployed) to find a replacement motor.

And of course, I will be keeping every single part I take off the CXT if I ever find another CXT motor.

Thanks and I hope I'll enjoy my stay here with you guys,

-Loops

·
Registered
657 Posts
Hi All,

New to the site. Been a Honda man since I was 16. Been buying and selling Honda's for 7 years now.

I mostly refurbish...not to much restore. Favorite bikes are the 1st Gen VF Interceptors and the classic

CB500-750's.

My question is this..I have a chance to buy a CX500T with a blown motor and I was thinking, would a

CX500 standard motor fit in the frame?

I know it will need everything else to accompany the motor. Harness, exhaust, carbs, etc.

I desire the look and ride (suspension) of the CXT but don't have the funds (unemployed) to find a replacement motor.

And of course, I will be keeping every single part I take off the CXT if I ever find another CXT motor.

Thanks and I hope I'll enjoy my stay here with you guys,

-Loops

There are plenty of motors around....Look at the post right under this one.. You might be able to buy just the parts bike from Dan for a very reasonable price...

Don't waste your time trying to do a turbo to NA conversion..

PK

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the help. But all I want is if a standard CX motor will bolt in? Meaning no mods needed.

Doesn't seem like a waste of time. Maybe to you, but I'd be still able to ride one

of my favorite bikes of all time.

And seeing that I have a chance to buy a running standard CX for only $200, I believe it's worth wild!

It's a lot cheaper than rebuilding or buying a CXT. I don't even know after all said and done if the turbo

isn't cooked.

So, again, all I need to know is if the frames are exactly the same?

Thank you

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,188 Posts
So, again, all I need to know is if the frames are exactly the same?
This is the flip side of the occasional question, "Can I put a Turbo engine in my CX?"

The answer is no, without a lot of fabrication. Adapting a Turbo frame to take the NA engine would be easier than mounting the Turbo in the NA frame, but it wouldn't be worth the effort.

Just buy the regular CX, restore it, and ride. Or buy Dan's wrecked Turbo to finish the one you have.

(How close are you to Minnesota, by the way? Putting your location in your profile helps.)

R

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm in Ohio.

So when you say "adapting" I take it it will need modifying.

I was just looking for a bolt on. I didn't care if the exhaust or anything else needed modifying but I'm not looking to do any frame shaving or chopping.

Sorry but I don't buy bikes that suffer that much front end damage.

Thanks though.

Thanks for answering the question Randall.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'm in Ohio.

So when you say "adapting" I take it it will need modifying.

I was just looking for a bolt on. I didn't care if the exhaust or anything else needed modifying but I'm not looking to do any frame shaving or chopping.

Sorry but I don't buy bikes that suffer that much front end damage.

Thanks though.

Thanks for answering the question Randall.

Hey Loops,

What kind of condition is the 500T in other than the motor being blow?

Pete

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.