Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
1,089 Posts
Check out Ebay Germany. They seem to be parting out a few 500e at the present time. I haven't seen any – units but there is actually a speedometer or two. Can't remember if they were gl's or e's though.
Make sure it is the speedo unit and not the cable. My speedometer was broken for about 8 years. During this most recent front tire replacement I was going to discard the speedometer cable since I figured it was broke. I thought the bike looked naked without it so I put it back on and for some reason the speedometer started working.

Does anyone know if they reset 20 after 9 9 9 9 9?

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E
2,137 Posts
They go back to 00000 , Got a spare instrument cluster for a 83 CX650E , but check cable and front axle hasn't come loose and allows drive plate to disconnect.
P.S. flipped the odo over last summer on my Cx,

Reactions: TonyG

·
Registered
CX500EC Eurosport 1982
179 Posts
There are several available on eBay UK, some look in decent condition. Cost not too bad but postage could be tricky. If seller won’t post to Aus then maybe I can help out by buying item and then posting to you. Other option is to put a modern dash on with GPS speedo but personally I’d try to stick to original clocks.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,962 Posts
I gave up on the original mechanical instruments a long time ago (no matter what I did the tach screamed and the needles bounced). I made up my own instrument panel with newer used instruments but the same thing happened with it so I eventually gave in and went electronic, first with a cheap Koso knock off from eBay/China (there is a reason they are so cheap) and later with a Danmoto 180, which I would highly recommend except that Danmoto stopped selling instrument panels.

But there are any number of other instruments available that other forum members have used with success. Many of those are great on other models but might not fit inside your Euro's fairing so if you go that route check for that before you order.
I understand that the ones sold by Trail Tech are pretty good, I think they are small enough for your space and the last time I checked they have housings with LED lights to replace the indicators on your original instrument panel.

·
Registered
1984 Cx650E
10 Posts
They go back to 00000 , Got a spare instrument cluster for a 83 CX650E , but check cable and front axle hasn't come loose and allows drive plate to disconnect.
P.S. flipped the odo over last summer on my Cx,
Are you saying you got a spare cluster? My tach is on the fritz.

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E
2,137 Posts
Hi,
Yes i do have a spare instrument cluster, came off a parts bike I bought a long time ago. Will check the tach out tonght a if it work will message you. Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts