Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to change the cylinder liners on a CX500E engine block or are they part of the block?
This would be for an engineering company to do for me, I can do air cooled liners no problem but I’d be nervous of trying it on a water cooled block.

I can’t find a pair of oversize pistons anywhere so wondering if I can swap liners and use new standard size pistons.

If it is possible does anyone know where to get some new liners?

Alternatively if anyone knows where I could get a pair of oversize pistons and rings?
Anything 0.25” or larger would work.

many Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
23,403 Posts
The old bores have to be bored until they are thin enough to be removed.

The block is cast with liners in place and they cannot be pressed out.

Here's a link to a diesel liner recommended to me by Murray. I have a set of these in one of my motors. They cost me about $400 to have installed.

The diesel liner is long and you just need one. A good machine shop can cut it to length.

You'll be lucky to get oversize pistons, though CHMSL may have some.

I have one .25 and one .5 over and have looked for their mates for years.

I should be able to find you the sleeve part number. If not in my notes I have another sleeve in box in my shed. That should have the number.

My machine shop also said that they could have supplied the bores.

·
Registered
24,493 Posts
i should note that when i do the boring for sleeves I use torque plates torqued properly on the block to bore and hone the block
but your machine shop should know this
also ask them to plateau finish the bore to 400 for quick easy ring breakin
\

·
Registered
1982 cx500tc turbo
131 Posts
Hi
There is a option out there to have pistons made to fit
JE Pistons and other manufacturers like MAHLE pistons
That will make custom size pistons on special order

I'm sure there is more members that need pistons for the CX500 and CX650 and some CX500TC and CX650TC
They can be made in any size needed and that way there is no need to do expensive machining to fit a sleeve

For Stueecat
You living in Devon UK
how is the Machine shop options
Here in CANADA we have all kind of options when it needed

TLD 🇨🇦 🇩🇰

·
Super Moderator
23,403 Posts
Of you have the cash to have pistons made have them made to 80 mm {stock - 78mm} and have the block sleeved to suit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts