Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I'm new to the forum and would appreciate any help you could give. I have an extensive background in vehicle repair. I was a mechanic at Honda (4 wheeled vehicles) for about 5 years and worked at other shops before I landed a really good position at my current job. I love to tinker and always have. I love motorcycles and have a passion for anything Honda. This being said I fell in love with the Cx500 platform a long time ago. I have always looked at these cafe builds and said, I'm going to build one. I found this bike below on ebay and ended up paying 700 for it and had it shipped across the US to FL not knowing if it ran or if it had any other issues. My main reason for buying this is that it looked as if someone was fixing it up and just stopped for some reason. Whether it be they got caught up with life or spent time on some other project this one got put on the back burner and I acquired it. There was still tape on tank from painting and a lot of the parts were marked with blue tape as to where they went. The listing noted that it was stuck in gear. I have had some experience in the past and know that if you take the rear cover off and stretch one of the shift springs it can cause this issue. I took a chance and hoped that the reason they stopped on this project is because they couldn't get it to shift, gave up and didn't want to pull the motor again. Knowing what I know I will pull the motor and see what the problem is. Regardless, I will have a running bike at sometime. Whomever had this bike spent a good bit of time on it. The tires are brand new (Still have blue and yellow paint stripes down the centers of the tires) The motor was painted, Frame completely painted, Bars replaced and it had other various upgrades.

This is my problem. The person who owned it cut the kick stand mount off the frame. So now I don't have a kickstand and cant install any of the rear brake components. They obviously did this for a reason but I can't for the life of me think of any reason why. I need your help. Either I need to find a junk lower frame section where I can cut this section out and re-weld to my existing frame or maybe you guys have an idea about what to do here. I would prefer to keep the rear drum and not convert to disc. Kinda trying to budget this somewhat. Is there something I'm missing? Is there an upgrade or some bolt on from another bike that takes the place of the old kickstand mount and brake pivot? I'm stuck until I figure this out. Please help!

Thanks for looking!

Josh's CX500.jpg s-l1600.jpg

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The pic below the first one with the red box is just a photo I found on the internet to show what is missing. Basically remove that whole piece from the frame and that is what I'm left with. I can see on the frame (My bike) where it was. They didn't grind it all the way down. I can see some of the weld humps under the new paint. I'll get a pic from my bike and post when I get home from work.

I'm almost positive that I will have to find a junk frame where I can get this piece and re-weld. If anyone has this section that they can cut out of a frame I'd be happy to buy it from you. I added a pic of where I would need it cut from the frame (Yellow lines). I can then take my time and remove the bracket from the tube and weld to my frame.

CX500 kickstand mount where to cut.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you think that moving this to Buying-selling would net me the best outcome then yes please do. Yes this section from an untitled frame would work out great. I appreciate your help!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you again! I hope that I am able to find this section. And hopefully at a good price. "Fingers crossed" =]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I can wait as long as need be. I am in no hurry. I'm going to do this bike right and I'm guessing will take me a year or so to finish. I just want to start hunting stuff down and make sure I can get the items before I re-strip the bike. I can purchase via-paypal. Please touch base with me before you cut the frame to remove the section. I need to make sure the bracket will be intact and that this part isn't overly rusted up. I need to make sure I'm buying something that I can use. Also need a price check. I can provide a phone number if need be. Thanks!

EDIT: I can also take the pivot arm with shaft, Brake foot lever etc. This bike didn't come with any of those parts. I'm missing all of the rear brake components except the brake switch.

·
Registered
24,211 Posts
ok

i have this its a 78 frame not rusted much at all it has the side stand but the tab is worn it has the brake rod and shaft

i have been sick the last week and my guy is off sick as well i am getting back to work but it will be a few days till i can even think about it

this is headed to the dump so i would be glad to hack the part off for you and leave you a wide margin to trim it up

send me your address and when i ship the part to you i will let you knwo what shipping cost and you can reimburse me

frame78.jpg

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
ok

i have this its a 78 frame not rusted much at all it has the side stand but the tab is worn it has the brake rod and shaft

i have been sick the last week and my guy is off sick as well i am getting back to work but it will be a few days till i can even think about it

this is headed to the dump so i would be glad to hack the part off for you and leave you a wide margin to trim it up

send me your address and when i ship the part to you i will let you knwo what shipping cost and you can reimburse me

View attachment 75529

This is a "like" plus a "get well fast" post.

·
Administrator
1,568 Posts
If you post a pic of what your rear frame section looks like now, it may be possible to determine what the PO was trying to do. I cut that section out of my frame in order to install the similar frame part out of a GL500, which gave me a different brake pedal pivot mount, and a lower mount for a monoshock. So that's one reason to do it that way. Show me a pic and lets see if we can figure out what he had originally planned!

Charles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Charles!

It looks as if it's just been taken off. They are using the original shock setup. No other changes from what I can see other than passenger peg mounts being removed as well.

Here are the pictures. I ran home real quick and took them at lunch.

Josh-CX500D (No kickstand-brake bracket) (1).jpg Josh-CX500D (No kickstand-brake bracket) (2).jpg

·
Administrator
1,568 Posts
Okay. Yeah, doesn't look like any attempt at a monoshock or anything. Might be he planned to go with a cable-actuated rear brake or a wheel, disc, and caliper from a CX500 Turbo or a GL1100. Not sure, but unless you go that route, you're not going to have a rear brake. If you want to continue down that route, you can get a weld-on harley kickstand and build a mount for it fairly easily. But it sounds like you want to weld on the proper frame parts and return the side stand and rear brake tube to stock.

If you do that, do note that the OEM side stand mount could use some reinforcement before you weld the part back on. The tab tends to bend and sag, and the hole gets egged easily.

Charles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay. Yeah, doesn't look like any attempt at a monoshock or anything. Might be he planned to go with a cable-actuated rear brake or a wheel, disc, and caliper from a CX500 Turbo or a GL1100. Not sure, but unless you go that route, you're not going to have a rear brake. If you want to continue down that route, you can get a weld-on harley kickstand and build a mount for it fairly easily. But it sounds like you want to weld on the proper frame parts and return the side stand and rear brake tube to stock.

If you do that, do note that the OEM side stand mount could use some reinforcement before you weld the part back on. The tab tends to bend and sag, and the hole gets egged easily.

Charles.
Yes, Sir. I do want to go back tot he original brake configuration. From what Thumper was stating earlier, the 78 that he has the side stand tang is worn so I will most likely weld build up and regrind and reinforce as you noted. May weld a new tab all together. Some things about this bike I was like hmmmmm.....had me thinking. Sometimes it's really hard to tell what people were trying to do.

Thank you for the insight!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh, well, now that I look at it, he cut that section off because the exhaust pipe there wouldn't clear it. So you'll need a different exhaust.

Charles.
It looks like that in the other photos but the exhaust does not run under the bike.

tmp_31981-20170223_0539241717968337.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I didn't want to start another thread so I figured I try asking my question here.
When you guys swap forks what is your go to? Is there a direct swap over where I can use my wheel and just change the forks and triple tree?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts