Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 GL500, 78 CX500
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Wanted to find out if anyone has successfully installed a different gas tank instead of the D model. Those gas tanks are getting to be too hard to find and too expensive. I am thinking of checking out a CB650-750 Nighthawk tank. The profile might work, but I'd need to take measurements from one first. It would be one that has the gas gauge sensor on the bottom.
Bumper Gas Auto part Electric blue Fashion accessory
This is a D gas tank underside. Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Auto part
This is a CB650 Nighthawk underside.

It still would involve some modifications, but probably not as much as other alternative tanks. Would appreciate your input.

·
Registered
'79 CX500
2 Posts
Hey all. Wanted to find out if anyone has successfully installed a different gas tank instead of the D model. Those gas tanks are getting to be too hard to find and too expensive. I am thinking of checking out a CB650-750 Nighthawk tank. The profile might work, but I'd need to take measurements from one first. It would be one that has the gas gauge sensor on the bottom.
View attachment 214361 This is a D gas tank underside. View attachment 214362 This is a CB650 Nighthawk underside.

It still would involve some modifications, but probably not as much as other alternative tanks. Would appreciate your input.
Hey there,
Been looking at alternatives for tanks as well. Just curious if you came across something that would work for you?

Thanks!

·
Registered
82 GL500, 78 CX500
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haven't been able to make it to the junk yards just yet. Hoping to get started next week. Looked at several pictures of various tanks on Ebay and the best that would seem to fit with minimal customizing seemed, so far, to be the tanks for a CB650-750 Nighthawk.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts