Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no experience with carburators, none, so I thought getting a rebuild kit would be a good first try at working on them, I thought I was doing everything right but obviously I was wrong, I would like to get a set of Murrays Carbs later on but I do not currently have the funds for that.
On to my problem, the bike would start easily with choke on but would not idle, I could ride it with the choke on slightly but if I came to a stop and the choke had slipped I had to pull the choke and restart. After a few hours on here I figured it was the idle jet that was my problem, so I got the rebuild kit. Everything went smooth except for the little plastic bushings that are in the upper housing, I cannot get them to push back in with an o-ring on, they wont fit. That could be my problem but I have never done this before. Any hints/tips/ or tricks to get the bushings in would be appreciated, and any suggestions on other things to check would be helpful. Thank you in advance!

·
Super Moderator
20,307 Posts
Try heating the O rings for the slide limiter caps in hot water and using a little silicon or rubber grease to fit them to the top of the slide.

Of course, in an aftermarket carb kit there is always the chance that they have supplied the wrong section O ring.

These don't actually seal, rather, they retain the limiter cap. If the old ones appear reusable this is an option.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks, I'm going to pull them back off and put the o-rings on somehow or another, do you think that would be a cause of it not starting?

·
Super Moderator
20,307 Posts
Check that the jets are in the right spot. The larger one fits into the brass emulsion tube. Unless changed for pods they will be 112 or 115 and the smaller will be 78 and should be screwed direct into the carb body.

Have you verified fuel flow through the idle circuit?

Are the rubber passage plugs fitted, in good condition and tight?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the little rubber plugs fitted tight, I can lift the carbs by them, I did not have fuel in the bowls when I opened them, I also cant pull the screws out on the bike as the previous owner stripped them out flat. I do have the jets in the right locations.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I hooked them up to the tank without the bowls on and let the floats down and plenty of fuel came out, i pulled the floats apart before that and made sure everything was seated right. Now that i know i have fuel, what else should i check before putting them back on the bike?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I figured it out, I had the floats upside down... *facepalm* now she starts but my original problem is still here, it starts idling around 5000 rpm, I've got the black adjustment screw backed up so it's not touching, where do I go from here?

·
Super Moderator
2,708 Posts
First, make sure you have some slack in the throttle cable so it's not holding the throttle open.

If that's ok, then check that the actual throttle attachment plate is not holding it open. There's a tab at the bottom of it that can sit against the throttle and not let it close.
To adjust it, loosen the screw, push back on the top and then re tighten it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have enough slack that the cable releases tension but not much more than that, I'm on my way into work but I will try to readjust the plate when I get home tonight. I'll post the results after, thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That plate was as tight as I could get it but while I was working on that I noticed my right carbs butterfly had a little bit of a gap at close so I rebalanced that, about to put back on bike and try.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Success!!! Now its idling too low to stay running lol, that I can work with lol, thank you guys for all the help so far, as I get deeper into this bike I will probably have more!
Remember - just because you can see daylight through the jets, doesn't mean they might be partially clogged up. Clean them out next time with a strand of the twisted copper wire used in cyles and cars. NOT a steel wire.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
The best for cleaning the jets is the proper diameter drill bit, as per Larry Cargill. "Each air or fuel orifice was checked with a very accurate precision jet drill index to ensure the holes were clean and set to their proper size. I did this by starting with smaller than accurate sizes of each hole, and could feel the gummy or crusty build up inside each one. When I got to the right size jet drill, I could no longer feel the smoothness of the build up in the passage, and I knew I was at the right size for each orifice. None of the holes were drilled larger.
I used a small drill jet drill index to size each hole in every jet or emulsion tube!" from https://sites.google.com/site/cx500gl500/correct-carb-cleaning-and-idle-jet

1 - 20 of 20 Posts