Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,281 Posts
Without traffic and without trees. You can see wildlife that could pose a threat from miles away. Talking about it makes me want to go back but with a faster bike. A sport touring bike would be fun out there. Road conditions are the only threat I saw out there. Tar snakes are to be watched out for.
Most of my riding is urban/suburban. Our traffic tends to be pretty heavy and we have more than our fair share of bad drivers, maybe 1 in 10.

It's constant threat assessment, road placement etc,

Most of the surrounding roads are hills twisties. Fun but not rides where you can check out the scenery.

I actually dream of those long straight empty roads.

I feel zen dwells there.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Phreak, rides like that exist here in Texas. I recently rode out to Lubbock and Amarillo and I have to say that some of those west Texas roads will definitely allow some time for deep meditation.

Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
16,227 Posts
I guess it's a matter of opinion. I figure curves in the road just give you the opportunity to see some of the scenery while still looking at what's ahead of you ;-)

·
Super Moderator
22,281 Posts
Most of my local curves are on roads that were first put through cuttings in horse and cart days. They've been widened since then but they're still 2 lane and narrow. There are ancient {for modern Australian settlement} stone walls as guard rails here and there.

These go through cuttings so nearly every bend is blind. Many big ancient gum trees and a fair bit of scrub and weeds.

There's beautiful scenery but if you want to live you won't be looking at it.

It's not unusual for motorcyclists to come to grief up there. Most carry too much speed into the bends and run wide, low side or grab traction and highside.

We do have long straight roads beyond the Adelaide hills, but they also tend to carry a fairly high traffic volume.

In the middle of nowhere, straight roads, good visibility and no traffic the most immediate concerns become fuel range and mechanical breakdown ..... not that knob in the black 4WD cutting lanes or that idiot with his nose hanging out of the sidestreet or ....

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I guess it's a matter of opinion. I figure curves in the road just give you the opportunity to see some of the scenery while still looking at what's ahead of you ;-)
I never said one type of riding is better than the other, simply there are many types of rides. Some types of riding really do require more than 50 mph to be enjoyable. I enjoy riding on dirt too, that’s why I have the r100gs.

·
Super Moderator
16,227 Posts
Another old saying: It is more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow.

I thought of that as I was cruising along at 100 Km/h on my GoldWing today. I would have gone about the same speed on that road on Eccles but it would have felt faster because the RPM is so much higher and felt even faster when I didn't have 5th gear.

Re twisty narrow roads, we have our fair share of them around here too but I learned long ago that it is more fun to go through the bends smoothly at a moderate speed than to try to go so fast that I'm constantly having to correct for errors. Maybe I learned that from being on a sidecar outfit; With the 3rd wheel, for any turning radius and set of road conditions there is always one specific speed that allows it to turn with minimum effort & drama (depending on the radius and road camber that isn't necessarily very slow) and it is always more fun if you hit exactly the right speed for the turn (this may involve leaning a bit too).
Another wise man said "The reason people on sidecars don't go as fast is we are already where we want to be" ;-)

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
a
Yep, but how fast out depends on how soon the next curve is.....
Guess you will never see places like the Snake river basin, Hells canyon, Glacier Natl. park. All require at least some travel thru high desert canyon not to mention the Grand canyon. You really don't know what you are missing. Grew up in the rolling green hills of western NY and at time I miss it but I love the Mnts and desert much more. the weather too. There are so many cool places to ride here you would be amazed.

·
Super Moderator
16,227 Posts
Yeah, there are lots of places I could visit that are just as interesting but don't require riding on roads so boring that high speeds are necessary. Besides, those places are all in a foreign country that I'm not really interested in going to.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Yeah, there are lots of places I could visit that are just as interesting but don't require riding on roads so boring that high speeds are necessary. Besides, those places are all in a foreign country that I'm not really interested in going to.
sounds short sighted to me?? did not realize the US was that Foreign. I loved riding thru southern Canada and the upper peninsula many years ago

·
Super Moderator
16,227 Posts
If I need to show papers at a border it is foreign.

I guess I'm one of those few lucky enough to live in the place I most want to be. People where I grew up travel here for vacation and spend their weekends fighting their way through traffic for hours so that they can ride motorcycles here. But I get to live here full time ;-)

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Your description of the high desert just shows your ignorance. You know nothing about what you criticize. You are only limiting yourself of great experiences with you closed mindedness.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
From bout post #5 this has digressed somewhat....maybe time to move it to "Speedos and Tachometers"?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts