1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1980 cx500c Custom
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

i am looking for a speedo and tach combo, preferably 2.5” to fit into this:

Could use a little help. Also what type or tach speedo do I need? Electronic or the other one that slips my mind.

thanks yall!

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
16,291 Posts
The original speedo & tach are mechanical but lots of people have upgraded to electronic ones. I don't know if anyone makes a 2.5" combination speedo/tach but I would consider a temperature gauge more essential than a tach if it comes down to choices.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Are you using the std ignition modules or aftermarket..this can influence the choice/ease of electronic options....
Personally I like a tacho, but my racer friend tells me he used to tape over his when racing, as it was a distraction.....

Agree with S/Bob.....never got my std. temp gauge to read consistently...went digital for that one, and just disconnected the std/stock....but you may choice analogue in keeping with the bikes style.

·
Super Moderator
16,291 Posts
On a street bike the only thing a tachometer is really useful for is to tell how fast you are going when the speedometer cable breaks.
BTW: Someone posted a question about an Acewell speedometer/tachometer that is 2.5" in another thread; Unfortunately it doesn't have a temperature gauge.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
On a street bike the only thing a tachometer is really useful for is to tell how fast you are going when the speedometer cable breaks.
A gentleman's disagreement on this one.....
For high revving engines which CXs are I think a tacho' is useful......yes I appreciate you may say you can feel the engine/hear it...(but then you could possibly say the same about an overheating/oil starved engine...temp gauge and oil light)...
As an aside...There were some bikes Kawasakis I believe where the oil light would flicker on use of the rear brake.....

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
You are very slow then. My bike would be unridable for me if it lost 5th gear. Even with 5th gear it isn’t fast enough for the high desert so the bmw is the ride of choice when I venture down that way. While close to home the Silverwing is ridden at least 90% of the time.

·
Super Moderator
16,291 Posts
We have these signs with numbers at the side of the road and people in cars with flashing lights on top.....

Besides, I figure if I'm going a bit faster than most other traffic and the scenery isn't so boring that I want to get the ride over with sooner than necessary I don't really need to go any faster.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
We have these signs with numbers at the side of the road and people in cars with flashing lights on top.....

Besides, I figure if I'm going a bit faster than most other traffic and the scenery isn't so boring that I want to get the ride over with sooner than necessary I don't really need to go any faster.
We have those things down here too. There are many places down here in the US where the numbers on the sign say speed limit 80 MPH. I’ve ridden in a few places where it read 85 MPH. These were not Interstate freeways either. Where the limit is 85 I felt very comfortable cruising between 90 and 95 MPH. I did those speeds while seeing cars with flashing lights on top and they never looked twice at me. If I lost 5th gear the bike would be parked until fixed.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Yes to #10 and radar detectors highly illegal in Oz....

Getting back to not using a tacho or gear 5....thats very "Tank (T-34) like"....tho I believe that T-34 and Sherman crews would use a hammer to expedite gear-shifts (military historians here will correct me I'm sure......)

·
Super Moderator
16,291 Posts
In my case it was the winter machine; 3rd gear had come apart in the spring so I had replaced the transmission (and learned that there are 2 versions of the 650 transmission). It shifted OK on the bench but not in the bike so I pulled the engine out and apart again. Twice. The last time it worked for a while, then started kicking back to 4th every time. By then it was November and time to put the summer one away and I needed to drive it to work so I lived with it like that.
You can read about it starting here.

The speed limit here is 80 km/k (50 MPH) outside of towns and traffic usually moves at about 90-100, which is fast enough for roads that have enough hills & bends to be interesting to drive on and scenery that is worth looking at.

I understand that roads in the desert are so straight and boring that they set the speed limits high so that you don't have to endure them any loner than absolutely necessary. I just can't fathom why anyone would deliberately chose to take such a boring road on a bike.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Some of the most beautiful places or interesting places to see require going through the high desert or are in the high desert. Everything has its own beauty. Sometimes just imagining something doesn’t mean you understand it, you have to experience it to truly understand.

·
Super Moderator
22,316 Posts
I would think that a long straight road with no driveways, side turnings or other traffic is one of the very few chances to actually appreciate your surroundings on a motorbike.

Normally the immediacy of staying alive tends to take your full attention.

·
Super Moderator
16,291 Posts
Eh. I still prefer to see green things and not to roast myself any more than necessary, both of which preclude blasting through the desert at speeds too high to truly appreciate anything interesting that you happen to pass.

As for going fast, a wise man once asked "If riding a motorcycle is so much fun why do so many of us ride like we can't wait to get it over with?"

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
You don’t have to go through the high desert in the middle of summer! You do realize it isn’t always blazing heat there, right? Like I said before, you don’t truly understand it until you experience it no matter how hard you try to imagine it.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Without traffic your speed can be what you want it to be.
Without traffic and without trees. You can see wildlife that could pose a threat from miles away. Talking about it makes me want to go back but with a faster bike. A sport touring bike would be fun out there. Road conditions are the only threat I saw out there. Tar snakes are to be watched out for.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Long boring stretches of road here in Texas, like I-10 out west is 80 mph. Traffic does 10+ over that and some vehicles even cruising at 100 mph. Have to admit that part of the state is pretty boring, however once you get off that stretch of highway there are some stunning views, like near Iraan, TX, which is very majestic. The toll road 130 (BBQ highway) near Austin is 80 as well but I seem to remember it initially had an 85 limit on the southern end.

If you were to ask me, a tach is more important than a speedo. and on these bikes an "idiot light" is the minimum you need provided it is calibrated to come on at a salvageable temp, similar to the oil light. But this is me, I pay little mind to the rules and more attention to the machine.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts